What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
2018 pre-season at the panthers - and the rumours about Griffin losing the playing group started. Yes, that was in the pre-season.

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/fix-it-did-phil-gould-spray-coach-anthony-griffin-/3349266/

Some of those quotes,with hindsight,make interesting reading.

Good luck guys.
That’s fine mate he can build our young guns up like he did in Penrith and then in two years time if he loses the group, Bennett, Bellamy, Wane and Fitzy may all be available to finish the job. In saying that f$$$ Fitzy he had his chance.

The_Frog

First Grade
2018 pre-season at the panthers - and the rumours about Griffin losing the playing group started. Yes, that was in the pre-season.

https://www.dailymercury.com.au/news/fix-it-did-phil-gould-spray-coach-anthony-griffin-/3349266/

Good luck guys.
He decided he would not interchange his forwards, instead he would really test out their fitness. It was against a rookie Bulldogs outfit who had unlimited interchanges so of course they won. The story goes that Gus ripped into him during the game for this and this was the start of the feud.

Out of who was available, Griffin was the unanimous choice.

His contract will be a lot different to Mary's in favour of the club and results driven. Our first outside coach recruit since Bennett and both coached the Broncos so hopefully will bring about success.

I think that he will do well - much more so than what we have had.

Now we have to wait and see who will be in the playing squad for 2021. Something to look forward to.
so why aren't the ones responsible for contracting Mary held accountable?
Obviously something seriously wrong with every aspect of McGregor's contract negotiation and subsequent upgrades/extensions.

getsmarty

Immortal
griffina-emotional-11091791-b.jpeg

COACH

Dragons appoint Anthony Griffin as head coach
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Mon 7 Sep 2020, 06:14 PM

The St George Illawarra Dragons have announced Anthony Griffin as its head coach for at least the next two seasons.

Griffin will take over the coaching reins ahead of the Dragons' 2021 campaign, having last coached in the NRL back in 2018.

The 54-year-old has coached 173 first grade games to date with the Brisbane Broncos (2011-14) and the Penrith Panthers (2016-18), with a 55.5 per cent win rate.

In his time away from the NRL, Griffin was an assistant coach for the Tongan international team alongside current interim Dragons coach Dean Young.

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb said Griffin's appointment was one of the most important decisions the club has made in recent times.

"We are excited to announce that Anthony Griffin will be joining St George Illawarra next season. Anthony is an experienced operator with a proven track record across his previous seven seasons as a head coach," Webb said.

"The board of directors were unanimous in their decision on Monday afternoon in appointing Anthony ahead of the other candidates.

"Anthony has missed finals football only once which speaks to the strong discipline and ability to develop young talent of which he has exhibited both throughout his career.

"The next steps for the Dragons are now determining the correct framework and structures to put around Anthony and the football department to ensure his tenure as coach is a successful one."

Griffin spoke of his pride in being afforded the opportunity to coach such a prestigious club in the St George Illawarra Dragons.

"There is no doubt that St George Illawarra is one of the biggest and proudest clubs in the game and I am excited to commence my role as coach later in the year," Griffin said.

"While results may not have gone in the club's favour in recent years, I see many a positive in the playing squad and the current crop of juniors currently coming through the ranks.

"My goal is a simple one, to ensure the Dragons are a club that every member, partner and fan can be proud of moving forward."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/09/07/dragons-appoint-anthony-griffin-as-head-coach/

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Well so far - although it’s been bogged down with misleading information and an almost assassination by Gould’s media mates - the Dragons board have now done the correct thing on 2 most important aspects of moving forward .

Marys dismissal and the appointment of a coach who will not suffer fools gladly . It is good that Andrew Webb’s has stuck true to his word and has helped to start placing the building blocks towards success .

Good days ahead gents - we are now finally leaving the doom and gloom of obscurity behind us with Griffins signing .

Well said Gaz- one of the little side benefits of Griffin's appointment is that he has knowledge and coaching experience recent enough in two of the powerhouse junior systems (Penrith and the Broncos) to hopefully land us a couple of the top players who've come thru those systems.

JamesRustle

First Grade

Good luck guys.

But the loss has compounded a horror few months for the club, which las lost star juniors Matt Moylan and Bryce Cartwright to rival clubs.

Ha ha ha. Well done Hook. I'll bet Sharks and Titans have buyers remorse.

franklin2323

Immortal
But the loss has compounded a horror few months for the club, which las lost star juniors Matt Moylan and Bryce Cartwright to rival clubs.

Ha ha ha. Well done Hook. I'll bet Sharks and Titans have buyers remorse.

Bryce, Moylan, Peachey, DWZ etc had the issues

The guys like Maloney, Cleary, Mansour and the guys that like Hard work had no issues

Corey Parker gave him a glowing report on NRL today

boardlumps62

Juniors

Good luck guys.
That is interesting. Now Moylan and Cartwright move on and Merrin has a breakup with his long time surfer girlfriend. And whose problem is it at the Panthers. Cartwright is struggling and Moylan too. Merrin went OS and back at Dragons and struggling. Whose problem?

Andy_P

Juniors
Well said Gaz- one of the little side benefits of Griffin's appointment is that he has knowledge and coaching experience recent enough in two of the powerhouse junior systems (Penrith and the Broncos) to hopefully land us a couple of the top players who've come thru those systems.
I think the issue was that he didn't actually utilise the panther's system - he wanted to do it all on his own

While I don't consider him a top tier coach, I'm excited by this appointment (whereas I raged against McFlop from the very outset).

I think players are far more likely to join the club now than at any other time in the last 10 years. At least there is the potential for success.

Can't wait till 2021!!

Straight Shooter

Dragsters

First Grade
While I don't consider him a top tier coach, I'm excited by this appointment (whereas I raged against McFlop from the very outset).

I think players are far more likely to join the club now than at any other time in the last 10 years. At least there is the potential for success.

Can't wait till 2021!!

Straight Shooter

Bin the 2020 season and start 2021 early I say...

Phantom V

Juniors

Good luck guys.
I don’t buy into it when I hear a coach has l’lost the dressing room’. To me that says more about the players than the coach

When I played, I could never imagine running out and dogging it just because I didn’t like the coach, I just loved playing footy no matter what and besides, at the end of the day, you represent the jersey and the fans.

It pi$&es me off when a team puts in one week and looks like a different side the next. It’s all about attitude!!!

Hooks approach is going to sort out the wheat from the chaff and that sort of mindset is long overdue.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Does Flanno stay on , 2 years for Griffo ..... ?????
Goes. Should never have been appointed. Never understood the reasons. Downside only - unsettle the nerve of a below average head coach, brings stigma of cheating, never an exciting head coach in his own right. Where was the upside? f**k him off back to the sharks.