What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

blue bags

First Grade
hqdefault.jpg

banners, HOOK LINE SINKER, GRIFFO THE GREAT

Dragon David

First Grade
Great signing, now let him pick his own assistants and recruit who he believes he needs.

Norman out and Maloney in. Fist order of the day. Or if he won't go, maybe Norman at left centre until his contract ends.
Exactly this! I heard that Griffin mentioned during his zoom interview that he was hopeful of getting Maloney to come to the club (as a sweetener if AG got the HC job).

Maloney is a journeyman I know, but a successful one not like Norman (Broncos, Parra and us). As most of us know, he won premierships with the Roosters, Cronulla and played in a losing Warriors team in the 2011 Grand final. He is extremely competitive and is a match winner.

So do your work AG with getting Maloney to us as your first signing.

VodkaSaint

Juniors
The Players need a head coach that is not their mate.
More Importantly , he will kick arse, Norman, Hunt and co are on Notice.
The biggest Bonus is this Guy will give the youngsters a go and kick some but when its needed.
Im finally looking forward to a new season, hell i might just become a member again.
Captain Hook is here to kick some asssss

un32h.jpg

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
The appointment of Anthony Griffin as our head coach is probably the second most significant appointment in the history of the joint venture. We will continue to debate whether he is/was the best option available, but I think of everyone who applied for the job he is the best available in terms of what we need as a club right now.

He's from outside the club (tick).
He has an eye for junior talent (tick).
He's a hard nosed operator who will command the very best of his players and staff (tick).

I am looking forward to seeing what he brings to the table in terms of our tactics and game plans, as well as giving the juniors a run for more than just a five minute cameo when the game is already done and dusted.

I am not at all phased by the reports in the media, and the subsequent bickering that is now on between the two major news agents. The reality for us as a supporter group is that we probably should get used to this. There are going to be some players and staff who will be in shock come the pre-season having never had to work so hard in their lives, and that is only going to stir this media pot even more when the "unhappy group" murmurs begin as a result. I say bring it on (where were all these media nuffies for the best part of the last seven years is all I can say).

I'm stunned by Websters response and coming out and saying that he put out an opinion piece on people at the Panthers opinions of Griffin. Now if a player went around an enquired about another player and made comments similar to Websters about a player potentially joining a club - the news media would be all over them and criticising them for behaving in that manner.

However, when a journalist goes and does the same thing (Just as the final interview is being held) they don't want to be criticised. For some reason Webster is happy to give it to footballers whenever he feels its warranted, however he should be safe from similar criticism. Clearly they believe there is a different standard for NRL journalist.

Frankly I think Webster is pathetic. Apparently, he was on last night playing the innocent card saying it was just an opinion piece.

If I was Penrith, I would be checking with all existing staff members if they were contacted, and if not be making a public statement that no one in their organisation provided any input to Websters piece. Penrith would be cleared and it would be up to Webster to clear his name or look like a jerk.

What a joke!

gregstar

Referee
Exactly this! I heard that Griffin mentioned during his zoom interview that he was hopeful of getting Maloney to come to the club (as a sweetener if AG got the HC job).

Maloney is a journeyman I know, but a successful one not like Norman (Broncos, Parra and us). As most of us know, he won premierships with the Roosters, Cronulla and played in a losing Warriors team in the 2011 Grand final. He is extremely competitive and is a match winner.

Success or no success, Maloney's days are done I'm afraid.
Sadly he is basically a turnstyle now.

Pity because the guy was wonderful in his day.
But that day has well & truly passed.

SEAT 1A

Bench

Hell yeah David, use everything you can in an interview.

On a funnier note, could you imagine Mary pulling out in an interview "I could get Maloney".

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Griffin was the obvious choice in the end and as said before, the best of what is available. What impressed me this time when looking at a coach as opposed to others is this:-

a) They went for an Outsider
b) 2 year deal with a 3rd in the clubs favour. Finally they did something right.
c) I know Fitzy has some ties to the club and may not be considered an outsider as my 1st point, but good to see that he was seriously considered as I think he has the best potential of all the rookies out there. Being Robbo's assistant on the back of this success is a pretty good way to learn not like Young who got his coaching following Price and Mary.

I have never seen so many journo's split on this guy. News Limited Love him and Channel 9 crew hate him. Griffin really will be on a mission to prove himself that is for sure with all the bad press he has received. Looks like he really pi$$ed Gould off. As for the others they just follow him like sheep.

Looking forward to see how many interviews he will do for channel 9 after this because if I was him I would keep away and only speak to Fox Sports. If he did not get the job I am not sure why he could not sue for defamation as they were doing a good job to really rubbish his case for the Dragons and good to see they did not listen. Goes to show how much the Saints listen to Gould and his review.

Gould went out of his way to get rid of Cleary to bring in Griffin only to bring back Cleary. Hang on I think the club actually brought back Cleary and sacked Gould because they knew he screwed up so how good can he be.

Griffin seems happy with the roster just like Wayne did when he arrived. Hopefully he has the same effect and brings in a few hard heads to toughen the forwards and gets the boys to play to their potential.

Finally looking forward to a season as the last 2 especially have been annoying.

dannyt

Coach
Griffin was the obvious choice in the end and as said before, the best of what is available. What impressed me this time when looking at a coach as opposed to others is this:-

a) They went for an Outsider
b) 2 year deal with a 3rd in the clubs favour. Finally they did something right.
c) I know Fitzy has some ties to the club and may not be considered an outsider as my 1st point, but good to see that he was seriously considered as I think he has the best potential of all the rookies out there. Being Robbo's assistant on the back of this success is a pretty good way to learn not like Young who got his coaching following Price and Mary.

I have never seen so many journo's split on this guy. News Limited Love him and Channel 9 crew hate him. Griffin really will be on a mission to prove himself that is for sure with all the bad press he has received. Looks like he really pi$$ed Gould off. As for the others they just follow him like sheep.

Looking forward to see how many interviews he will do for channel 9 after this because if I was him I would keep away and only speak to Fox Sports. If he did not get the job I am not sure why he could not sue for defamation as they were doing a good job to really rubbish his case for the Dragons and good to see they did not listen. Goes to show how much the Saints listen to Gould and his review.

Gould went out of his way to get rid of Cleary to bring in Griffin only to bring back Cleary. Hang on I think the club actually brought back Cleary and sacked Gould because they knew he screwed up so how good can he be.

Griffin seems happy with the roster just like Wayne did when he arrived. Hopefully he has the same effect and brings in a few hard heads to toughen the forwards and gets the boys to play to their potential.

Finally looking forward to a season as the last 2 especially have been annoying.
Possibly Griffin sacked to sign I. Cleary, after unceremoniously sacking him before, because young N. Cleary was ready to sign with tigpies and be coached by the old man. Seems more plausible.

I do remember listening to gould commentating a game, and he categorically stated that he wouldn't stand in the way of Ivan and Nathan reuniting. At the time, hook was doing well at the riff, and it seemed gould wouldn't stand in the way of Nathan leaving.

Nek minute:
  • Hook sacked
  • I. CLeary walks out on tigpies
  • Ivan and Nathan reunited
  • Gould "leaves" the riff

Hmm- something in that.

Andy_P

Juniors
Possibly Griffin sacked to sign I. Cleary, after unceremoniously sacking him before, because young N. Cleary was ready to sign with tigpies and be coached by the old man. Seems more plausible.

I do remember listening to gould commentating a game, and he categorically stated that he wouldn't stand in the way of Ivan and Nathan reuniting. At the time, hook was doing well at the riff, and it seemed gould wouldn't stand in the way of Nathan leaving.

Nek minute:
  • Hook sacked
  • I. CLeary walks out on tigpies
  • Ivan and Nathan reunited
  • Gould "leaves" the riff

Hmm- something in that.
It was panthers CEO that went and spoke to Cleary while Gould was speaking to Bennett - but neither told the other what they were doing. Once it came out that Cleary had agreed to join following the end of his tigers contract, he felt it wasnt fair to Griffin to keep him on given the media circus that started - but also the CEO said get rid of him now. Gould has made his error of judgements but has integrity. When Jonathan Thurston was set to join the Panthers, Gould told him he was better off a cowboys which was verif by JT's manager.

SAP58

Juniors
Hook was just on NRL360 if anyone wants to catch it when they replay it at 8pm tonight. Nothing surprising being so soon after the appointment. Wants Young to continue his involvement & also Flanagan if it can be worked out. Will focus on junior development due to the number of great juniors we have coming through & some strategic additions (mainly forwards as it’s the foundation) but defence will be a focus & fitness. Doesn’t want to pay overs for players & there are limited players on the market at present. Suggested Hunt was a very good 7 & Norman has a lot of ability but both are not performing at their best which he will work on. Certainly better than watching the previous bloke in interviews.

Jersey No 14

Juniors
Got to say just saw NRL 360
I am very optimistic about 2021.
Past is past. It's a stain on the Dragons which was unforeseen winning 2010.
So here we are now
They way Griffin carried himself the way he briefly portrayed our future I wish him, us all the very best.
I do hope we can write positive forum responses - even if we loose (and we will)
I'm tied of Staying the Dragon's brought on mainly by the ClusterF*&K of action and inaction.
This summer off season will be peaceful.
We may not win, but I feel we will be fighting a better battle to win.

GLASS HALF FULL - for the first time in a long time

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Hook was just on NRL360 if anyone wants to catch it when they replay it at 8pm tonight. Nothing surprising being so soon after the appointment. Wants Young to continue his involvement & also Flanagan if it can be worked out. Will focus on junior development due to the number of great juniors we have coming through & some strategic additions (mainly forwards as it’s the foundation) but defence will be a focus & fitness. Doesn’t want to pay overs for players & there are limited players on the market at present. Suggested Hunt was a very good 7 & Norman has a lot of ability but both are not performing at their best which he will work on. Certainly better than watching the previous bloke in interviews.
Was a promising interview I liked it.

Latest posts