What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We're winning because we're travelling less

Benek

Juniors
Something we've always known, but I found it interesting to hear this from Payten...

"He said the squad had bonded through adversity, and the reduced travel schedule had help them prepare better for games."

How much of our recent form is due to travelling much less?

Now we know what it feels like to be a Aussie club! How much better could the Warriors be without the permanent disadvantage of constant international travel?

Maybe next year we'll find out, as it looks likely they'll have to be based over there again. We start winning too much and they might not want to come back.

From: https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12362589

Interesting.
Less travel helps, less distractions outside of the game as well. But must be missing home and some extended family.

Blair

Coach
...Now we know what it feels like to be a Aussie club! How much better could the Warriors be without the permanent disadvantage of constant international travel?

With this in mind maybe there's a strong case, next year and beyond (presuming borders are open), whereby we play blocks of games based in Gosford followed by another block back in NZ (mostly in Auckland, of course)?

Let's say a month in Gosford then a month in Auckland?

However, now I have that relevant quote from a former coach (Kearney?) about how 'the boys like to sleep in their own beds'.

Have things changed now?

Blair

Coach
Interesting.
Less travel helps, less distractions outside of the game as well. But must be missing home and some extended family.

I'm predicting a big summer catch-up with family and friends once they finally get home from their sabbaticals. Who's our conditioning trainer? He or she might be aghast in January.

Meth

Staff member
Maybe. But we've also got a captain who will miss his daughter's 1st birthday if we miraculously make the finals.

If the Warriors are going to win a comp, they're just going to have to overcome the travel.

JJ

Immortal
I’m not buying it quite...

we aren’t actually winning much, and North Queensland travel too

We have a decent coach and a decent game plan, to me that’s the biggest difference

Big Marn

Juniors
I’m not buying it quite...

we aren’t actually winning much, and North Queensland travel too

We have a decent coach and a decent game plan, to me that’s the biggest difference
cant compare NQ to travelling internationally. Have to arrive at the airport much earlier and you have to f**k around in customs. And sometimes 2-3 full flights arrive at pretty much the same time causing slower processing. Gets old.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Didn't we play for a number of weeks under Kearney without travel?

It may be a help, but I wouldn't say it is the reason we are winning.

JJ

Immortal
cant compare NQ to travelling internationally. Have to arrive at the airport much earlier and you have to f**k around in customs. And sometimes 2-3 full flights arrive at pretty much the same time causing slower processing. Gets old.
Well if we play in a Strayan comp we have to deal with it

as I said haven’t actually won much just have a decent coach that is getting something out of the squad Kearney assembled

Latest posts