What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

We need some toughness up front. As in, Jason Hetherington and Jarrod Wallace. Them 2 and Joe O are the forwards I would target.

Forget Maloney. Yes, was certainly a competitor, but past it now. I like the rumour of Hook trying to get Hetherington, Burton, and Staines from Panthers. Burton much better 5/8 than Norman and Sailor.

possm

Coach
We need some toughness up front. As in, Jason Hetherington and Jarrod Wallace. Them 2 and Joe O are the forwards I would target.

Forget Maloney. Yes, was certainly a competitor, but past it now. I like the rumour of Hook trying to get Hetherington, Burton, and Staines from Panthers. Burton much better 5/8 than Norman and Sailor.
The problem is that Norman is still under contract so we need to off-load him and a swap for Maloney seems to be the only way of doing that. Yes if Hook can get Hetherington, Burton, and Staines, we may be able to just drop Norman to reserve grade.

Yes it’s all interesting to see how recruitment will pan out.
Hopefully Hook has some great relationships with some of the Panthers kids that debuted a few years back ie Hetherington.
Also interesting to see what relationships he still has at the Broncos as from memory both TPJ and Big O debuted at the Donkeys under Griffin before Wayne went back. Wallace another one to debut under Griffin.
Would be great to grab Crichton from the Panthers.

redVinme

Bench
Papalii is still not sighed by the Raiders and Hetherington has not signed with the Panters. Welch and Tamour have signed with Storm and Panters respectively. So delete Welch and Tamour from the list and maybe insert Hetherington and Papalli.

We have approximately 2m to spend and so I believe that will be sufficient funts to recruit Papalli, Ofahengaue, Hetherington and Johnston. Maloney will be a swap with Norman. Some of our players you identified as being surplus to our needs are still under contract and so might have to play reserve grade for next season if we can't off-load them.

Also Griffin has stated he will be the final say on recruiting and team selections. Johnston is an interesting buy however, he can play fullback, wing and centre so I'm sure it would be a good buy if successful. So if De Belin is cleared to play, my 17 for round 1 in 2021 would be:
1. Johnston
2. Garrick
3. Z Lomax
4. Feagai
5. Ramsey
6. Hunt
7. Maloney - swap with Norman
8. Papalli
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. T Sims
12. Host
13. De Belin

14. Hetherington
15. Kerr
16. Ofahengaue
17. Ford

So 3 new props, a winger, a five-eighth and a fullback recruited to our first grade 17.

• With a sprinkling of good experience and promising juniors, our backline looks to have plenty of speed, elusivness and good hands.
  • A big and mobile pack with a good mix of youth and experience, this pack of forwards should be able to mix it with the best in the competition.

Reserve grade
1. Dufty - still under contract
2. Pereira - still under contract
3. Ravalawa
4. Williame
5. Schiller
6. Sullivan
7. Clune
8. Blacker
9. Brittain
10. Ellis
11. Lawrie
12. Merrin - still under contract
13. H Lomax

Bench TBA

Johnston has re signed with rabbits.
I've also yet to see media release on tamou or Welch re signing

matPORTS

Juniors
Have just seen the official news on Johnston. I think that is a missed opportunity, but not the end of the world.

When did Tamou & Welch each re-sign with their respective clubs? Have not seen any official news on this. But have got to say that one of these guys would be nice, particularly given they will be coming from good systems. We need an experienced professional in this mold for the middle (even more so if JDB falls through), along with Ofahengaue. We will also have to pay overs for the pleasure though.

Papalli - if he's going to move anywhere it will be back to Queensland.

Am certainly not against going after the younger brigade from Penrith. Hetherington (along with others mentioned) will also be in Trent Barretts' plans for the Bulldogs.

Hopefully we start to see some moves from us in the market soon.

Mjab

Juniors
How about a swap Norman for Shek and we can throw in Dufty to replace him

Im surprised Shek wants to leave he would be a great pick up for any club 110% every week, great player

He doesnt let the ball bounce !!

chrisD

Coach
Tamou would be a great fit for you guys. After captaining Penrith to a premiership he'll be ready to move his career into the retirement contract stage and could phone it in for the dragons for 3 years at 600k a pop.

Dragon David

First Grade
Just can't wait to see what our Roster for 2021 will look like as well as who our support staff will consist of. My main concern is that currently we lack forward dominance so it is very important that they get some big, hard running, no argue and strong defending guys. Fix the forwards and we will be a force in years to come. I'm hoping that De Belin is cleared so that he can play as he is one player that is feared by opposing teams, particularly with his one on one tackles.

Our backs could be anything given the chance and I am sure that Griffin will get the best out of them.

I can see the players being super fit and plenty of defensive drills being done during pre-season training. The squad will definitely be feeling stronger by the time round 1 starts in 2021.

Can't wait.

possm

Coach

Im surprised Shek wants to leave he would be a great pick up for any club 110% every week, great player

I would love to have him in the big red V at fullback. Exactly the type of fullback we need. Ramsey and Schiller can take up wing positions and Feagai can play at left centre. What an exciting backline that would be:
1. Shek
2. Ramsey
3. Z Lomax
4. Feagai
5. Schiller/Ravalawa
6. Hunt
7. Clune/Sullivan

boardlumps62

Juniors

Are you talking Roger T-Sheck from Warriors!

Mjab

Juniors
Are you talking Roger T-Sheck from Warriors!
Yes, Im sure its not just on this forum Ive seen the comment , Im pretty sure I heard or saw this independently , saying he was looking at his options for next year

Maybe Im totally wrong , but love to have him

Maybe I should stick to the rumours thread , the totally wrong rumours thread , who knows

Mjab

Juniors
SMH Aug 13

""Roger Tuivasa-Sheck will need to accept at least a 50 per cent pay cut if he switches to rugby to avoid the likelihood of a second consecutive NRL season away from home and family.

Tuivasa-Sheck addressed his Warriors teammates on Thursday following reports he could seek a release from the final two years of his $1.2 million per-season contract for family reasons. The superstar fullback is the only remaining Warriors player living away from loved ones after his partner opted to remain in New Zealand so that her family can help with their two young children""

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
I have a bad feeling Norman has us by the balls. He has stated he won't go to ESL as it is too cold (Granted Catalans have been mentioned and are based in France)
Hook mentioned on 360 that "Corey Norman is an extremely talented classy player." which is beyond being far from the truth so something is up there. I can't see him going anywhere unfortunately. I hope I am wrong...

possm

Coach
I have a bad feeling Norman has us by the balls. He has stated he won't go to ESL as it is too cold (Granted Catalans have been mentioned and are based in France)
Hook mentioned on 360 that "Corey Norman is an extremely talented classy player." which is beyond being far from the truth so something is up there. I can't see him going anywhere unfortunately. I hope I am wrong...
I think his contract is up at the end of 2021.

Mjab

Juniors

Not sure again why we signed him up for so long on such massive money
realistically who else was chasing him
he plays on occassional good game , hardly ever
I think he is a lot worse after having his face broken but wasnt much better before
Never been a consistent performer so why did we ever pay such ridiculous money

Fing Peanut and Millward to blame

There are many examples of this across board at lots clubs
maybe not Chooks Storm or Panthers but everywhere else
There are a tonne players being paid way too much for what they deliver week in and week out

Shaun_Timmins

Juniors
I think his contract is up at the end of 2021.

Yep, correct, I was speaking in terms of next season. I think we swallow our pride and just pay him to sit or play reggies if that is up and going again. We have reasonable depth in the halves so for at least next season someone who is on less coin can take his spot and most likely perform better.

The fellas on the RedV podcast reckon Clune could shape up to be a reasonable 6 so if Hook is hellbent on having Hunt in 7 maybe they could spark something up.

I wouldn't mind Maloney for a year either if there is any nugget of truth to that rumour which I doubt. He is a winner and could seriously help us make a dent in the finals...