What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL's new CEO

Perth Red

Post Whore
Though tit worthy of his own thread to bring him out from under the shadow of Vlad. What we know about him is he's a numbers guy from a financial background, Chartered Account by qualification. From Suff Africa and been at NRL 7 years. Previous role was as CFO at NRL under Greenberg.

First full interview last night on NRL360 and spoke well and confidently. Has as his priority 1. getting through the current crisis. 2. Renovating the game. 3. Growing the game. Aiming to cut $50million of expenditure over next 12 months. Didn't explain where the cuts would be other than some position and dept mergers at NRL HQ.

FTA deal will be the next biggie for him, hopefully he doesnt annoy Ch9 and get himself sacked by not bowing down to our media masters.

Not sure how much leadership he will be able to display under Vlandys but hopefully he goes ok.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/03/andrew-abdo-appointed-nrl-ceo/#:~:text=Andrew Abdo appointed NRL CEO - NRL

Perth Red

Post Whore
New NRL CEO Andrew Abdo has unveiled his three-phase plan for the future of the game as it negotiates the rough waters of the pandemic-struck world.
But he’s not just looking to save the game from financial ruin – far from it! He wants to reinvigorate tribalism and ‘win’ the battle for the NRL’s traditional heartland in rural NSW and Queensland.

And he’s given an update on the expansion of the competition, saying “it’s not off the table” – but it’s not an immediate priority.

Abdo revealed that the reduction in spending will be less harsh in the future, saying the yearly figure – after this year’s brutal cuts – will be targeted at around $50 million per year.

That’s just one aspect of his three-phase strategy for the game’s future: stabilising, renovating, then growing the game.

“The first phase is we have to stabilise. Part of stabilising is taking stock.

“We’re reducing our costs. We’re focusing on locking in our revenue.

“We need to make some changes, together with the players and the clubs and the state league to stabilise the game.”

“Then we can think about starting to renovate,” Abdo said.

“We’ve got a wonderful house that we love, rugby league, and a hurricane has come through – which is covid.

“The upside of this is to think about how we can come out to rebuild our house even stronger and take advantage of things we should have done earlier – we can do so now.”

Renovating the game, Abdo said, involves: “Thinking differently. Reinvigorating tribalism. Thinking about how we can get more people to stadiums. Thinking about how we might be able to create an even more entertaining product.

“And then the third stage is growth … growth can come from a number of areas, whether it’s the international game, whether it’s the clubs and the competition structure, the products and experiences we offer our fans.

“We’ve got to go through those different phases, but right now it’s important to stabilise.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/086dd7578c0821bc190a58218505f027

Perth Red

Post Whore
Players ot take a cut next year as salary cap reduced. Wonder if this means club grants will also be cut accordingly?

One thing that is for certain however is the reduction in next year's salary cap, as the game looks to share the financial burden among clubs in a "sustainable" way.

The impending salary cap cuts create huge hurdles for clubs over the next six months as they begin to shape their rosters for next season.

While an official figure is yet to be settled on between the NRL and RLPA, Abdo said negotiations have been effective.

"We're assessing other ways in which we can save money and of course we're going to have to reduce the player payment pool as well," Abdo added.

"Certainly there is going to be a drop in the salary cap, it's unavoidable. We're trying to limit it as much as we can but there will be a reduction.

"It's a complex discussion we're having with the players association and the clubs as well.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-confirms-gf-venue/15607ooffm4uh1jxk13fusaolp

Perth Red

Post Whore
Newly minted NRL chief executive Andrew Abdo has heard the whispers: that he got the top job because he’s a "yes man" to powerful ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys.

“I would see how some people could view it that way, I guess," Abdo told The Sun-Herald. "Peter is obviously a strong leader and dominant personality. But I have an excellent relationship with him; we complement each other well and I have a healthy respect for him as the chairman.

“The CEO reports to the board and ultimately he has charged me and the management team with delivering against objectives that we need to deliver. Operationally, we run the business, we’re accountable to the business. He will hold me to account against the decisions.

“If you asked a few people, I don’t think they would say I’m a yes man or a rollover.

“I’m pretty passionate and pretty determined. I like to win. In a good way, I’m competitive. I want the best for rugby league and my job is to make sure we get the best deals possible, whether it's revenue or making the best possible decisions.

“I’m going to be judged on the outcomes we deliver over the next few years. Would I sign up for something if I felt I couldn’t influence the outcomes I’m accountable for?

“When things go wrong or there is an issue to be dealt with, the CEO is the one who has to front up for the decisions that are made.

“I know what is at stake and what my responsibilities are.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...p-out-of-v-landys-shadow-20200905-p55sop.html

taipan

Referee
Players ot take a cut next year as salary cap reduced. Wonder if this means club grants will also be cut accordingly?

One thing that is for certain however is the reduction in next year's salary cap, as the game looks to share the financial burden among clubs in a "sustainable" way.

The impending salary cap cuts create huge hurdles for clubs over the next six months as they begin to shape their rosters for next season.

While an official figure is yet to be settled on between the NRL and RLPA, Abdo said negotiations have been effective.

"We're assessing other ways in which we can save money and of course we're going to have to reduce the player payment pool as well," Abdo added.

"Certainly there is going to be a drop in the salary cap, it's unavoidable. We're trying to limit it as much as we can but there will be a reduction.

"It's a complex discussion we're having with the players association and the clubs as well.

https://www.nospam47.com/au/league/...-confirms-gf-venue/15607ooffm4uh1jxk13fusaolp

Club playing numbers will be cut to 28 ,and salary cap ditto.A lot of pain ,also the football clubs' admin will need to be reduced .Pain all around ,the NRL expects to drop $400m til the end of 2022, as a result of renegotiated Tv deals, memberships,attendnace revenues, sponsorship,merchandise etc.
AFL is doing likewise.Heaven only knows what union and the A League are doing.
Every damn business in this country is either going broke, cutting back or if you're JB Hi Fi/Harvey Norman/on Line retail or gambling laughing.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I liked the interview with Abdo and I actually think he does compliment Vlandys well. I only hope that they aren't just words and that they do deliver on stabilisation, renovation and then growth of the game. Expansion of the NRL and growth of the international game was briefly mentioned which is exciting to hear.

It was also nice to hear him speak about finally fighting back against the AFL when prompted by Kent's question.

yakstorm

First Grade
Though tit worthy of his own thread to bring him out from under the shadow of Vlad. What we know about him is he's a numbers guy from a financial background, Chartered Account by qualification. From Suff Africa and been at NRL 7 years. Previous role was as CFO at NRL under Greenberg.

Abdo was never CFO at the NRL. He was Chief Commercial Officer until he took over Todd's role, and prior to that was involved in Strategy & Special Projects. He was brought in under Dave Smith, and from a numbers perspective was quite successful at growing non-broadcast revenues to over 200m in 2019 (up 14% from the year before, and more than double what they were 3 years before).

For me, Abdo is very strong with the corporate space and is arguably one of the better people to pair with V'landy when talking to Government, as he is able to work will with those individuals who find Peter's approach too forward, so I feel he is a good person to have at the helm whilst the game battles financial uncertainty.

Where I get concerned with Abdo is more from an expansion, Women's and international perspective. I'm fine with the approaches he is pushing so far of reducing the Playing Squad from 30 to 28, as to cut back some of the grants to clubs, reducing the 'football coaching cap' and reducing some of the executive head count at the NRL as they won't impact the game in a negative manner and in some areas, like the 'football department' the clubs went a bit silly anyway.

Anyway, we shall see what happens.

taipan

Referee
What’s this based on?

Preconceived dislike.

Some one looks shifty, nervous twitch.
Someone parts his hair down the middle.
Dark complexion.
Speaks with an accent.
Wears suit in untidy manner.
Doesn't have the charisma of a rock singer.

He may be a brain surgeon ,could be Warren Buffett, but geez he must look the goods on camera.

No, it's based on Vlad making everything about him and turning himself into the God King of the NRL, with the help of News

siv

First Grade
That’s just one aspect of his three-phase strategy for the game’s future: stabilising, renovating, then growing the game.

Found this strategy of our new CEO very interesting

We are very clearly in a Stability Phase

Perth Red

Post Whore
Worth noting (but relates to CEOs)we are not the only code accused of wastage or over the top spending.The AFL under Polo Gil like the herd mentality.
Can't access pay walls but under the heading" Leaked file exposes AFL's staggering $115m network-
:
www.eaglesvine.com/sports/leaked-file-exposes-afls-staggering-115m-network/31311/

When Demetriou was there they had 100 staff, now it's well over 350.

reality is when you have an org responsible for all levels of a sport the spending will increase in all areas as revenue increases. A lot of spending increase has occurred in:
Generating more revenue
Stabilising NRL clubs
Increasing funding to second tier clubs
Increasing nrl player supports
Improving integrity of game
Grassroots (but I usually last on lost and first to get slashed)

revenue doubled in a decade, spending has matched revenue increase. You can argue the nrl should have spent more on X and less on Y but reality is spending would still increase in line with revenue.

we are now in a phase of the opposite, big hit in revenue so costs have to be slashed accordingly. We can only hope they cut them in the least impact I g places for the future of the game. Being a numbers man hopefully Abdo makes the right decisions, or Vlandys if as most suspect he is the puppet master,

taipan

Referee
reality is when you have an org responsible for all levels of a sport the spending will increase in all areas as revenue increases. A lot of spending increase has occurred in:
Generating more revenue
Stabilising NRL clubs

revenue doubled in a decade, spending has matched revenue increase. You can argue the nrl should have spent more on X and less on Y but reality is spending would still increase in line with revenue.

we are now in a phase of the opposite, big hit in revenue so costs have to be slashed accordingly. We can only hope they cut them in the least impact I g places for the future of the game. Being a numbers man hopefully Abdo makes the right decisions, or Vlandys if as most suspect he is the puppet master,

Still stalking me, to propagate the minuses in the world of rugby league.:rolleyes:
Ask yourself what housing prices were a decade ago in Sydney, a little thing called in inflation happens.TV stations offloaded too much for deals, and they realised this when the cute virus from China visited us.

I've already spelt out in my multitude of posts ,costs have to be slashed.But I remember a guy ,(won't mention his name) but lives some distance from Sydney, who reckoned the GFC was as bad as the COVID-19 debacle.
I remember someone who bagged the NRL for getting the News deal til the end of 2027.
Yet because once you have some degree of financial revenue certainty, you can make decisions on cost slashing and expenditure in vital areas.

If Abdo stuffs up I'll be on his hammer.But I don't bag any exec(even if they an in house appointment) until they have shown what they can do ,in their new position over a couple of years.

"As is most suspect " V'lad is the puppet master.LOL.
Proving once again @ You have zero idea of what most suspect, talk about arrogance.Completed a survey Oz wide?
b) You continue with your shooting the prisoner then asking questions later routine.
c)The true" most suspect here "in fact is,you hate V'lad's guts like any AFL administrator seems to do .

I ask myself where we'd be now with some of the CEOs and Chairmen of the past under COVID."Oooh we can't start early, mustn't upset anyone".'Let's wait til it all clears up ,it's only a phasing flu."

We have survived to date and were laughed at for being early(egg on face), have not ATM had to touch any Line of Credit, the player bubbles seem to be working, we have at least one media deal tied up, we seem to have gotten rid of the bulk of the wrestle in the game and we are scoring more tries, we don't take BS from AFL flogs anymore, the clubs are getting more open information from Head Office than ever, the RLPA is working much better with the NRL, we liaise with Govt, the NRL worked with the Warriors so they could stay here and keep the comp going, and we have someone who cares about Sydney clubs and their fans.

Other codes have their issues,some good some bad.

If that's puppet masters at work,I'll frigging watch Punch and Judy every day.

Abdo's commercial negotiations non broadcast, were of his making in the end.Abdo's selection was a result of the Board making the decision in the final analysis.They do get details of commercial deals.

Generating more revenue
Stabilising NRL clubs

Lol your insane hatred makes you post the most idiotic stuff .
Who is this majority on here who suspect what you claim .?
Try to be rational for once .
Just because you hate someone doesn't mean everyone else has the same stupid thoughts .

LeagueXIII

First Grade
I liked the interview with Abdo and I actually think he does compliment Vlandys well. I only hope that they aren't just words and that they do deliver on stabilisation, renovation and then growth of the game. Expansion of the NRL and growth of the international game was briefly mentioned which is exciting to hear.

It was also nice to hear him speak about finally fighting back against the AFL when prompted by Kent's question.

They should do as they have done a deal with news Ltd for 7 years which has them happy so they won't have the media smashing them as has been the case for the past years.

some11

Referee
No, it's based on Vlad making everything about him and turning himself into the God King of the NRL, with the help of News
The reason we have a season that started before anyone else, and is still going is because of the guy.

We needed someone to take the game by the scruff of the neck in this situation.

Criticism can wait until 2022 imo. most of the bitching you hear is about clubs who haven't been able to cope with the new rule changes. Tough shit, get fit in the off season. This isn't aimed at you or people with an opinion on vlad mind you.