What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

100% Official Griffin for the next 2 years

qld redvee

Juniors
Interesting on 360 last night when hook said that we needed work in defence as we leak 20 + points so HARD training required .. So in the space of 24 hours Hook has declared that we need a big effort at training to address the sh*t defence.. Bit different to what old supercoach was happy to put up with ..
Also sounds like Hook is all over the roster and definitely wants to get our juniour system flourishing like penrith/ broncos so there are always players coming through. And if you read between the lines he is not scared to try to broker a deal with a contracted player from other clubs ( could be an advantage with no cc at the moment ) I like the idea of hard work at training to instil defence that may just get the guys out of the comfort zone .. I like Joe o for frizzell and could handle tamou for 2 years as long as we dont pay overs

hazzbeen

Bench
I'm liking what I am hearing , and what's been in the media , I wasn't sure about him , but he is going to be just what they need ..... Its definitely going to be a culture shock to most player that have been just turning up and not worrying if they play good or bad because they wouldn't get dropped .... The mates friends thing is all gone now .... They either cut it or they are gone ......

TruSaint

Referee
Gus ( I will review any club and turn them around ) Gould, aint too happy...

screenshot_20200909-124109_twitter-jpg.41822

getsmarty

Immortal
EXCLUSIVE: Phil Gould responds to Anthony Griffin furore that could end friendship

Phil Gould has slammed claims that he campaigned against new Dragons coach Anthony Griffin being given the job, saying such accusations could end a 40-year friendship with leading agent Wayne Beavis.

Gould's name has been discussed regularly amid Griffin's appointment; specifically, claims that he fell out with Griffin when they worked together at Penrith, that he sacked Griffin in his capacity as Panthers general manager and that he has since run a campaign against Griffin's coaching career.

"To suggest that I've been part of some sort of media agenda to prevent him getting another coaching role is a disgrace. It just simply isn't true," Gould told Wide World of Sports on his Six Tackles with Gus podcast, speaking with James Bracey.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fc3082824-3443-4ec0-888f-f031018f6a7f

Phil Gould and Anthony Griffin. (Sydney Morning Herald)
Griffin is managed by Beavis. Gould said that he had been deeply wounded by the Griffin furore, given Beavis' proximity.

"The most hurtful thing through all of this is that Anthony Griffin is managed by Wayne Beavis, who's been a very dear friend of mine for 40 years," Gould said.

"Now, it pains me to say: I don't know if Wayne was a party to this ridiculous and scurrilous campaign, to involve my name as a lever to securing Anthony Griffin a job at the Dragons but by his silence on this issue, I can only assume that he has endorsed this tactic and allowed it to play out the way it has.

"To allow people to make these types of accusations and misrepresent things so blatantly and over a long period of time, without Wayne stepping in to correct the narrative, is extremely disappointing on a personal note. And I find it devastating, in fact, from a personal view.

"I doubt that I'll ever speak to Wayne Beavis again. And we're talking about a dear and valued friendship. I love him dearly but I've been deeply hurt by the antics of the past week - and that's all I will say about that."

Wide World of Sports relayed Gould's comments verbatim to Beavis, who replied: "That's sad but I've got no comment to make." Beavis formerly managed Gould's career.

Griffin appeared on NRL 360 on Tuesday night, repeating the claim that he had fallen out with Gould when axed from Penrith in August 2018. The sacking came just four weeks out from the finals, with the Panthers running fifth. Griffin had two years remaining on his contract, having been appointed at Penrith in 2016.

"Fundamentally, that relationship broke down," Griffin said of working with Gould. "I'm not proud of that but I've moved on."

Griffin said that he was unsure of Gould's precise involvement in his sacking and was unconcerned about any ongoing animosity. He has signed a two-year deal to coach the Dragons, with the option for a third season in the club's favour.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F91e26ac0-70ff-4d73-ad50-ea4bc5d3d3ce

Anthony Griffin during his Penrith tenure. (Getty)
Griffin, 54, was also sacked by Brisbane after coaching the Broncos from 2011-14. He has coached 173 NRL games at a career win rate of 55 per cent.

Gould said that he had had no involvement whatsoever in Griffin's career after his departure from Penrith. Griffin's appointment has partly descended into a clash between leading journalists from Nine Newspapers and News Corp. Griffin has been a News Corp NRL contributor.

"How my name became involved in Anthony Griffin's application to coach the Dragons completely defies belief, on normal circumstances," Gould said.

"The fact that News Limited journalists went down this path to promote their employee, Anthony Griffin, for this job is not surprising. News Limited journalists have been running a campaign against me for 25 years. You've seen it, everyone's seen it.

"But for them to suggest that my relationship with Anthony Griffin was the only thing that was going to stand in his way of getting this job at the Dragons, or that somehow I was involved in some campaign to prevent him getting this job or any other job, it highly scurrilous in the extreme.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fd9d6390f-bef3-40fe-82a4-9bedd88e01ff

Phil Gould during his time as Panthers GM. (AAP)
"They have been running this ridiculous story for two years, that Anthony Griffin lost his job at Panthers because he fell out with me. Let me just say this once again, for the record: Anthony Griffin did not lose his job at Panthers because he fell out with me.

"In fact, every staff member at Panthers, including myself, did everything possible to assist Anthony Griffin. I won't go into any more detail than that.

"Secondly, I did not sack Anthony Griffin. That was an instruction from the board at the time, confirmed by Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill in The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper this morning. Again, I won't give any more detail on that but that's a fact.

"I have never given a reference to an NRL club regarding Anthony Griffin. This was a promise I made to his manager, Wayne Beavis, who is a very dear and personal friend of mine.

"In the end, I was never put in that position because no NRL club has ever called me asking for a reference on Anthony Griffin. I don't know how many jobs he's applied for in the last 12 months, I have no idea, because no one ever rang me for a reference.

"Very few journalists, and I can't even remember which ones, have ever asked me for a comment on Anthony Griffin. A, because they know I wouldn't give them one anyway; if I was ever asked for a comment on Anthony Griffin, I've either politely declined or deflected the conversation away from the question."

Gould said that he wished Griffin well in the Dragons job. He said that the club, which will miss this season's finals and is a decade removed from its last premiership, was badly in need of resurgence.

Gould, a premiership-winning coach at Canterbury and Penrith, as well as an iconic NSW State of Origin boss, carried out a review into St George Illawarra at the end of last season. He has since criticised the process and said the lack of genuine changes made by the club had contributed to the sacking this year of coach Paul McGregor.

Gould said that he was not prepared to remain silent any longer on claims made against him during Griffin's appointment. He said he was saddened that his friendship with Beavis could become a casualty of the furore.

"There are just some things, sometimes, that go beyond the norm of the to-and-fro of the media war and the other issues within the game," Gould said.

"I take this one extremely personally because I have not been a party to any campaign, I have never criticised this man [Griffin] to anyone, any club or any individual or any journalist, at any time.

"I'm very saddened that those around Anthony Griffin, who have been trying to do the best for him to get him a job ... and I understand that part of it, but to have me included in this as a tactic to do that has been quite devastating, to be honest.

"Sadly, it could well end a dear and valued friendship over a long period of time."

Gould himself departed the Panthers last year, resigning from his general manager role after building the first-rate junior development system that has helped Penrith to top spot on the NRL ladder this season, with a first premiership since 2003 in sight.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/phil-g...-dragons/70d5fbd7-1ca6-4b52-b6a9-21d0120c05a0

Gareth67

First Grade
C1E9A2D5-A8E8-4583-A48F-3675A9109C85.jpeg

Good lawd ! They remind me of the two chaps who came knocking on my front door recently , trying to sell me funeral insurance .

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
I'm liking what I am hearing , and what's been in the media , I wasn't sure about him , but he is going to be just what they need ..... Its definitely going to be a culture shock to most player that have been just turning up and not worrying if they play good or bad because they wouldn't get dropped .... The mates friends thing is all gone now .... They either cut it or they are gone ......
just like when dragons steelers merged, train hard, play hard, play to your potential,
or you know what

Gareth67

First Grade
just like when dragons steelers merged, train hard, play hard, play to your potential,
or you know what

Yes , as you say it’s going to be quiet a culture shock to many a player Bluey . Exactly what is needed and the good thing for the fans is that we will no longer have to concern ourselves about non-performers being selected week in - week out .

Captain Hook will drop those individuals and replace them with players who are biting at the chomp for a chance to show their wares in the top grade .

That in itself will be a huge step in the right direction for the Dragons chances of going forward next season.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Has anyone ever seen such fury at an appointment by people outside of a club.

I was once out at a work function and James malony was there as a guest whilst he was at the panthers.
I asked him I think it was after a trial and buzz had reported about Gus blowing up deluxe at hook so I asked him about it he said Na nothing to it and as I only knew Griffen as the broncos coach I asked him is he any good and he says mate the guy knows his shot and can coach.
So I am happy to have him on board I just don’t get the nasty journos work.
Like cmon mate Tingha. Does anyone really think the dragons playing group was racist FFS we were the only club to have Koori corner. I just found it strange after almost 20 years he comes out about it and the week someone reports hook is not into indigenous players or something like that cause if his twitter account.

And as for Griffen love for trump I can only say he may but be a conventional president but he is the only one to stop China. Hence why China does not want him in power as they know he is a take no prisoner president.

Gareth67

First Grade
Has anyone ever seen such fury at an appointment by people outside of a club.

I was once out at a work function and James malony was there as a guest whilst he was at the panthers.
I asked him I think it was after a trial and buzz had reported about Gus blowing up deluxe at hook so I asked him about it he said Na nothing to it and as I only knew Griffen as the broncos coach I asked him is he any good and he says mate the guy knows his shot and can coach.
So I am happy to have him on board I just don’t get the nasty journos work.
Like cmon mate Tingha. Does anyone really think the dragons playing group was racist FFS we were the only club to have Koori corner. I just found it strange after almost 20 years he comes out about it and the week someone reports hook is not into indigenous players or something like that cause if his twitter account.

And as for Griffen love for trump I can only say he may but be a conventional president but he is the only one to stop China. Hence why China does not want him in power as they know he is a take no prisoner president.

I know that this is getting slightly off track , but back in 2016 I actually received messages from Trumps campaign team to vote for him in the Presidential election . I went onto one of their sites and told them I was an Ameriiiiiican living in Oz . So the silly beggars constantly sent me emails on how to vote for Trump .

He , the Don even sent me a Christmas greeting would you believe. Me and Ethel were giggling all the way into the new year !

Ah yanks , what would the world do without them ?

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tingha got robbed an Origin jersey after 3 amazing years at the Dragons where he could do no wrong. He was getting better each year to prove how good he was. Have we since seen the same top try scorer 3 years in a row. Simple answer is no. Which just shows how rare it is. If anyone was racist it was those picking Origin teams. Pretty sure that was the reason he left not because a dragons bloke said something in the sheds. After his 3 top scoring season he lost hope all together. You could see it in his body language. He was not the same.

If Saints were a Racist club at the time, I am sure Mundine would have let everyone know about it, As if he would keep quiet about something like this which is close to his heart.

since77

Juniors
Tingha got robbed an Origin jersey after 3 amazing years at the Dragons where he could do no wrong. He was getting better each year to prove how good he was. Have we since seen the same top try scorer 3 years in a row. Simple answer is no. Which just shows how rare it is. If anyone was racist it was those picking Origin teams. Pretty sure that was the reason he left not because a dragons bloke said something in the sheds. After his 3 top scoring season he lost hope all together. You could see it in his body language. He was not the same.

If Saints were a Racist club at the time, I am sure Mundine would have let everyone know about it, As if he would keep quiet about something like this which is close to his heart.

It still disgusts me that Nathan never got picked for Origin.

Latest posts