What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous Dragons

TruSaint

Referee
He’s a footballer just like Peachey. He could play anywhere. I’d have to fit him in and he’s not unseating the halves, wingers or fullback. Peats is good but he’s not a must, so 9 it is.

I am a fan. My point is he was not a hooker, even if we think he may have made a good one.

blue bags

First Grade
https://www.roosters.com.au/news/20...-homage-to-the-aboriginal-culture-and-people/

Indigenous athletes have played a significant role in turning the Sydney Roosters into the proud Club it is today.

From Aboriginal rugby league pioneers such as Arthur Beetson and Ron Saddler to modern Indigenous stars like Blake Ferguson, Connor Watson and Latrell Mitchell, they have contributed immensely on and off the field for the Roosters.

Although there are currently no Indigenous players in the Roosters NRL squad, Head of Performance Travis Touma said the legacy of Arthur Beetson continues to have its mark on the Club – almost 50 years since he first pulled on the jersey for the Club in 1971.

“I don’t think people fathom how big an impact he has had on our Club,” Touma, who is currently the only Indigenous person in a senior coaching or training role across the NRL, said.

“As a player, as a coach, as a recruitment officer, his hand is still over this team now with Mitchell Aubusson and Jake Friend.

“They were possibly his last two guys he recruited and brought into the Club. One of them is our captain and the other is our club captain and about to play 300 games.

“If you talk about DNA and leaving a footprint on the jersey, Arthur Beetson is all over our jersey,” he added.

take a look at the list, alot of the players ended up playing at dragons

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Willow

Assistant Moderator
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/li...ism-bombshell-on-dragons-20200905-p55sok.html

Blacklock speaks about racist individuals in our club.

Like many of you, Tingha was my childhood hero, the single best and most exciting thing about our club.

I know this is historic but, given the current crisis of our divided club, this all adding up to put me off league for ever.
It appears that it was one individual and Tingha made his point well when he said,

"The person who had the [racist] streak knows who it is. I don't know if he knows it drove me away from the club, but I saw him at a function recently and he couldn't look at me."

That spoke volumes. I don't blame him for not naming the racist.

getsmarty

Immortal
3ae7a9aa8e4a0a2b2697ccb2fcac3b62.jpg

DRAGONS

Dragons issue apology to Blacklock over racism at club
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sun 6 Sep 2020, 05:30 PM

Dragons chief executive Ryan Webb has apologised unreservedly to Nathan Blacklock and any other Indigenous player who may have been subjected to racism during their time at the club.

St George Illawarra issued a statement on Sunday afternoon after the former winger, in a Sydney Morning Herald report, said he experienced racism.

Blacklock said there was an unnamed "element" at the club which made racist remarks about his friend, former Dally M winner Preston Campbell.

"The reason I lost my passion for the Dragons and left the club was because of racism. It came from the worst place possible – within our team environment ... That was like a dagger to my heart. I kept that pain to myself," Blacklock, a fan favourite and former Kangaroos representative, told the SMH.

Webb said the Dragons were saddened to read Blacklock's story.

blacklockn-99263.jpg

Dragons winger Nathan Blacklock celebrates his spectacular try in the first half of the 1999 grand final. :copyright:NRL Photos
"Racism has no place in society, in rugby league and certainly not at the St George Illawarra Dragons," Webb said.

"Everyone at the club were saddened to read over the weekend that racism played a contributing role in Nathan's departure from the club in the early 2000s, and commend his bravery in speaking out.

"We have come a long way as a club with addressing matters pertinent to not only players of indigenous background but across all cultures.

"We presented our inaugural Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) in 2017 and are currently reviewing the production of our second RAP which is due to be released in November.

"Respect, inclusion and commitment are core keystones of the Dragons as a whole; our RAP is one of a number of resources and programs the club are committed to in our continual efforts to help close the gap.

"With a commitment to reconciliation, the club will continue to uphold these values in taking a stance against racism.

"The club respects the unique position of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples as the first peoples of our nation, and appreciate the contribution they have and continue to make to our country, our community, to our sport and to the Dragons."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/06/dragons-issue-apology-to-blacklock-over-racism-at-club/

blue bags

First Grade
over the black dot, footy show , tinga is on it tonight, says club had spoken to him on Sunday.
tinga would love to be involved with the club some more
says he walked out on a 3 year offer contract from dragons
cause of the rubbish, bad apples are everywhere, im sorry tinga
this rubbish should never had happened

Brutalitops

Juniors
over the black dot, footy show , tinga is on it tonight, says club had spoken to him on Sunday.
tinga would love to be involved with the club some more
says he walked out on a 3 year offer contract from dragons
cause of the rubbish, bad apples are everywhere, im sorry tinga
this rubbish should never had happened
Yeah I'm sure he would be absolutely rapt to come and work with Anthony "Sky News" Griffin with his BLM and indigenous round criticisms. Or maybe the coon cheese and trump retweets might sell him?

Saint Pedro

Juniors
St George were always the Koori team for me, more so than Souths. It’s not our club, it’s our country. Australians stole land, poisoned, banished culture, abused in ALL sports. Look at Cathy freeman, Adam Goodes, Mark Ella and Lionel Rose: Aboriginal people that played a sport and were abused because they were bloody good at it. That’s our country. If you asked an aboriginal person that made it big in a sport or professional setting, guaranteed they copped abuse, whether implicit or explicit. This country still hails And pays well for known racists like Andrew Johns, Sam Newman, Allan Jones and Eddie -who wants to be a milliondog - what chance do the rest have?

gregstar

Referee
With the All Stars game happening tonight, it got me thinking of some of the great Indigenous Dragons we've had over the years.
I've come up with my all time Indigenous Dragons team with players that represented St.George and St.George illawarra.
Plenty of points in this team!

1.Amos Roberts
2.Ricky Walford
3.Lee Hookey
4.Anthony Mundine
5.Nathan Blacklock
6.Andrew Walker
7.Jamie Soward
8.Josh Kerr
9.Jeff Hardy
10.Tony Hearne
11.Gordan Tallis
12.Joel Thompson
13.Daniel Wagon
14.Wes Patten
15.George Rose
16.Robbie Simpson
17.Wendell Sailor

Have I missed anyone?

And in that team, Wes Patten was the Ben Kusto.

Patten was one of the worst signings we ever made as a joint venture. Players that is.
Steve Price & Jowls WERE the worst across the board.

gregstar

Referee
In 1986 we nearly secured the greatest Aboriginal footballer of either code.

We came within a bee's dick of signing Mark Ella.

Wally Lewis was at the Saints leagues club having a drink with Ella, who told him that he'd just knocked back an offer that would have made him the highest paid player in the code. And that offer was DOUBLE what the highest paid player in the game was earning at that time!

Lewis told him he was crazy, but Ella simply had had enough of footy.

And I reckon we would have been a better than even chance of retaining O'Connor had we succeeded.

We were also attempting to sign Wally (in competition with Manly) but the QRL stepped in and offered Lewis a cash payment to stay in QLD.
Ironically, the QRL never actually ended up paying him!

Considering these events, you can imagine just how different the late 80's early 90's could have been?
We would have been at the pointy end of the table instead of the downie end.

Last edited:

blue bags

First Grade
With the All Stars game happening tonight, it got me thinking of some of the great Indigenous Dragons we've had over the years.
I've come up with my all time Indigenous Dragons team with players that represented St.George and St.George illawarra.
Plenty of points in this team!

1.Amos Roberts
2.Ricky Walford
3.Lee Hookey
4.Anthony Mundine
5.Nathan Blacklock
6.Andrew Walker
7.Jamie Soward
8.Josh Kerr
9.Jeff Hardy
10.Tony Hearne
11.Gordan Tallis
12.Joel Thompson
13.Daniel Wagon
14.Wes Patten
15.George Rose
16.Robbie Simpson
17.Wendell Sailor

Have I missed anyone?
david nui. halfback - 5-8, from dragons juniors , schoolboy rep, very solid player for the dragons before the merge, he played most of his juniors with Jeff hardy, involved in USA rugby league for many years, since he moved there, he played for the national side. american eagles