What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

The Friz

Juniors
Angus Chrichton and Marata Niokore are on the bench for top 4 sides. Would be starting for us and give real strike. Contracts mean shit, everyone’s for sale. Get it done Dillward.

Gareth67

First Grade
7C3F676B-1C0C-4785-BDAB-77A50505DB3D.jpeg

I read earlier on FOX sports that the NRL are considering reducing next season’s salary cap by as much as $1million .

Does that now mean that the Dragons only have $500,000 to spend on new recruits ?

SAP58

Juniors
Reports today are that Tamou will sign with the West Tigers, I’m guessing the money is a big factor as they have to also pay overs to get players to join them. There aren’t too many props available in the market at the moment, according to Zerotackle.com web site this is the list off contract -
Tom Amone, Oliver Clark, JJ Collins, Kurt Dillon, Matthew Eisenhuth, Jackson Frei, David Gower, James Graham, Keegan Hipgrave, Rhys Kennedy, Josh King, Kayleb Milne, Isaiah Papali'i, Aaron Pene, Leivaha Pulu, Ky Rodwell, James Tamou, Peni Terepo, Aiden Tolman, Christian Welch
Taking Tamou, Graham & Welch out of thIs list doesn’t leave much to choose from. We might have to have a look who is available in the ESL. Anyone know who is available over in the old dart and is worth pursuing ?

matPORTS

Juniors
Norman does not appear to be making the majority of 2021 starting sides according to this thread. Am interested to see if Hook is also thinking the same.

We all seem divided as to whether Hunt is in the halves or permanently in the nine jumper.

Both issues, plus what happens with JDB, will have a major bearing on how (and who) we will be able to recruit.

Personally, I would be happy if the NRL does slash the salary cap by the reported $1m. This will open up the market if it does happen. While it will affect our buying power in the market just as much as everyone else, I think some players across the game are on MASSIVE overs (not just the examples at our club) just riding the gravy train and not performing. Those guys would now have to go and work for their money.

Some clubs will be forced to release players and foot some of the bill at the next club as a result. Could be an opportunity to pick up an experienced player on the cheap (at least for the first year) while we wait for Norman to ride out his contract in Canterbury Cup (then giving us more sway in the market for 2022 and enabling upgrades for existing players).

possm

Coach
Angus Chrichton and Marata Niokore are on the bench for top 4 sides. Would be starting for us and give real strike. Contracts mean shit, everyone’s for sale. Get it done Dillward.
As far as recruitment/retention/pathways are concerned, I think Griffin will have the last say on any suggestions Millward provides. Even though he does not officially start until Nov 1, Griffin is the man and everyone will now have to go through him when it comes to forming the season 2021 squad.

Mjab

Juniors
Reports today are that Tamou will sign with the West Tigers, I’m guessing the money is a big factor as they have to also pay overs to get players to join them. There aren’t too many props available in the market at the moment, according to nospam21.com web site this is the list off contract -
Tom Amone, Oliver Clark, JJ Collins, Kurt Dillon, Matthew Eisenhuth, Jackson Frei, David Gower, James Graham, Keegan Hipgrave, Rhys Kennedy, Josh King, Kayleb Milne, Isaiah Papali'i, Aaron Pene, Leivaha Pulu, Ky Rodwell, James Tamou, Peni Terepo, Aiden Tolman, Christian Welch
Taking Tamou, Graham & Welch out of thIs list doesn’t leave much to choose from. We might have to have a look who is available in the ESL. Anyone know who is available over in the old dart and is worth pursuing ?
What about Latimore
Must have a few more good games left in him :)

And Possm , I certainly hope u r correct
It really should be Griffin pulling the shots re what he thinks he needs to do the job
Its his neck on the block

Im sick of people like Millward and many others at the club all part of the problem for many years with no responsibility. A big clean out of underperforming staff and players needed

LINESPEED

Juniors
As far as recruitment/retention/pathways are concerned, I think Griffin will have the last say on any suggestions Millward provides. Even though he does not officially start until Nov 1, Griffin is the man and everyone will now have to go through him when it comes to forming the season 2021 squad.

Throw Lachlan a lifeline Griff:

“Lachlan Timm. Having joined the Dragons at the beginning of the 2019 season after a successful junior career at the Storm, Timm has been arguably the best player in the Canterbury Cup in 2019.

The former Queensland under 20 representative currently tops the competition for post-contact metres with 1204, tackles with 691, total runs, and run metres averaging 165 per match.”

Last edited:

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
Happy to see if Hook has some answers to fix all these underperformers up

Yeah, it's called dropping that player if they continue to play below expectations.

Its amazing the effect of being drop has on someone that thinks they are comfortable and think they are a permanent starter. As proof, exhibit A - Rooster half dropped (Kyle Flanagan) when only performing ok in games earlier this season, when he returned after 3 or 4 games out, he wanted to be involved in everything. Suddenly he knew what was expected.

possm

Coach
What about Latimore
Must have a few more good games left in him :)

And Possm , I certainly hope u r correct
It really should be Griffin pulling the shots re what he thinks he needs to do the job
Its his neck on the block

Im sick of people like Millward and many others at the club all part of the problem for many years with no responsibility. A big clean out of underperforming staff and players needed
Well now we have a real coach - the first since Bennett 2009-2011 - who will be accountable for all aspects of our football squad including, recruitment/retention/pathways, coaching, fitness, disciplin and behaviour on and off the field. He will report to the football manager and all of his staff required to assist him in the above role will report to him.

No more ducking and weaving, now more spin and no more excuses. I am absolutely sure Griffin will have the last say on the make-up of his squad and that he will do a great job with that squad and with the juniors hoping to be a part of that squad.

If Millward is still there, he will be reporting to Griffin just like it should always have been. From what I understand, the football manager will be given a budget to work to by the CEO which was approved by the Board. If out of budget expense is required, the Football Manager must submit a request through the CEO for Board approval.

Hopefully there will be an arms length relationship between the Board and those reporting to the CEO, now that we have a decent CEO running the show.

I would say that the cleanout will be progressive and organic from here on. Sappier decisions made by the CEO and Football Manager from here on in and most importantly both of these people having the back of the Head Coach.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Reading Tamou rejected offer from Dragons. Is this media crap or what. At 31 bests days behind him but I don't like better younger harder hitting props out there I think.
Having said that we will sign him.

qld redvee

Juniors
its possible that with the cap dropping by 1 million its possible that teams may have to look at offloading players to get to the cap . we could therefore get a prop or 2 that suits hook . Be nice to offload merrin and norman but realistically nobody would want them so hope they enjoy cc next year . we need some aggression up front that can bend the line .. Lets see what griffin comes up with - I reckon our days of retirement village are now behind us - thank you griffin

Maddragon99

Juniors
Reading Tamou rejected offer from Dragons. Is this media crap or what. At 31 bests days behind him but I don't like better younger harder hitting props out there I think.
Having said that we will sign him.

I was surprised to hear that we were interested in Tamou, he’s over the hill but would still expect good money. A big no thank you from me.

incidentally
I don’t see Millward & Hook getting on very well. I wonder if Millward will stick around if Hook gets bring success on the field.

possm

Coach
its possible that with the cap dropping by 1 million its possible that teams may have to look at offloading players to get to the cap . we could therefore get a prop or 2 that suits hook . Be nice to offload merrin and norman but realistically nobody would want them so hope they enjoy cc next year . we need some aggression up front that can bend the line .. Lets see what griffin comes up with - I reckon our days of retirement village are now behind us - thank you griffin
You can be sure that before pre-season training commences, both of these players will be spoken to by Griffin and both will have no doubt where they stand.

On another note, I believe that Griffin coached Pangai Jr at the Broncos. Maybe he may pick him up believing he can turn things around. This player, playing tough and hard but clean would be a great asset to our squad. Maybe Pangai Jr can do a turn around like Packer, and Dugan did so well under the St George rehabilitation program.

Dragon David

First Grade
The Dragons are pretty quiet at the moment with signings. I guess they are waiting for the rejects to make their decisions on which clubs to reject before they make their last minute decisions.

Not too many decent ones left who are/will be on the market to go for. Hopefully they do have a couple that they are negotiating with at the moment. We need a couple of big middle forwards. I think the backs are OK.

SAP58

Juniors
Story that Saab will be swapped with Garrick wont go away. Do we really need another winger ? Although Garrick can fill in at centre or fullback as he has shown at Manly. Will he be a regular first grader with us like he is at Manly ?

Phantom V

Juniors
Story that Saab will be swapped with Garrick wont go away. Do we really need another winger ? Although Garrick can fill in at centre or fullback as he has shown at Manly. Will he be a regular first grader with us like he is at Manly ?
If this is true, I’m all for it as long as we don’t pay any over and above. I couldn’t believe all the hype over Saab when he came on the scene. Never impressed me at all.

getsmarty

Immortal
Do everything to keep him': McGregor weighs in on Dragons roster
Christian Nicolussi
September 11, 2020 — 7.30pm
Leave a comment

Re-signing skipper Cameron McInnes should be St George Illawarra's top priority, says former coach Paul McGregor

McGregor will be one of the first people with whom McInnes enjoys a beer once the biosecurity bubble bursts.

4492e8ca403d7b0e836ee3ed13bc42c9514bef55

Cam McInnes and Paul McGregor after McGregor's final game as Dragons coach.Credit:Getty

The captain is off contract at the end of next year and fair game for rivals in a couple of months.

McGregor is no longer involved with the club and has made a point of not commenting on their affairs or the appointment of new coach Anthony Griffin. But he knows there is no way the Dragons can underestimate McInnes' importance to the Red V.

"Cam McInnes might not make the highlights reel every week, but he typifies someone who gives the jumper everything it deserves, and fans should hold the banners up high for him," McGregor told the Herald.

"The Dragons are lucky to have him, and my only hope is they do everything to keep him. If he comes off contract there will be plenty of clubs after him.

Cameron McInnes can negotiate with rival clubs from November. Credit:Getty

"I will continue to follow his career closely. He's a footballer more than a positional player, and he's a leader more than a follower.

"Cam has great integrity, knows his identity, he's very disciplined and inspiring to others the way he plays. There's no quit in him. He's a fearless player. They don't come along in the game often."

b0e9338ceecceda75872e418344f9f48092a4461

The skipper has aimed up all year.Credit:Matt King/Getty Images

"People sometimes think it's a job and play the game because they get paid well. Cam plays the sport he loves and it's a way of life for him."

McInnes will be the one trying his heart out in the middle of WIN Stadium against Canberra just after 3pm on Saturday.

No player was more moved by McGregor's mid-season departure than McInnes. While he had hoped Dean Young would be given the nod to succeed McGregor - but also heard good things about the incoming Griffin - McInnes said McGregor would remain a loyal mate and mentor.

One of the great images of the season will be McInnes embracing McGregor at full-time after the farewell win over Parramatta, which also included the captain handing his playing jersey to the man called 'Mary'.

"I've spoken to him a few times since he's finished up, and he said to me if I ever needed any tips or perspective from the outside looking in, he'd give me that," McInnes said.

"It felt different around the club not having him there. There are times I think it's sad he's not around.

"With the bubble and everything it's been easier to stay focused. Once the season is over I'll have a beer with him.

"Obviously Mary is not my first coach but he brought me to this club, he had faith in me and always had my back, so I'll never forget that. He'll always be someone I trust. Mary challenged me more than anyone else would, and that's why I respect him so much. We'll be life-long mates.

"He's sounded happy on the phone. He's a tough man. I'm sure he'd be hurting about not being the coach any more, but he won't dwell or feel sorry for himself. I admire that."

McInnes said he would be giving his all for Young the final three weeks, starting with the Raiders.

"'Deano' was part of bringing me to the club, and he's done nothing but try and support me and get the best out of me," McInnes said. "He's a St George Illawarra legend and the passion he shows every day, it makes me want to bleed for the jersey like he did."

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/do...ghs-in-on-dragons-roster-20200911-p55uqj.html