What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My 2 Favourites

taipan

Referee
Sludge set me up, for my league following career as a fan.To me he was the ultimate rugby league player, had everything starting with gifted athleticism, mental toughness and his ability to read a game in attack and defence and the feeling he was just coasting along in full flight.His son Matt a decent runner up.
Sadly I haven't seen anyone since approach him as a footballer.Once in a hundred year special IMO.

Card Shark

Immortal
Sludge is the reason why I follow Cronulla, a Mascot boy following the Sharks...

Same.

Although hunter born & bred, people often ask did I come from there.

I say no...I follow them because of Steve Rogers.

I was only telling the same story 2 weeks ago after seeing the pics on the kogarah dressing room.

PJ

First Grade
Loved Sludge, but gifted Gav was my favourite.

He truly was magic and the punishment he took and just kept going.

Sides would come out with strategies of just shut down Gav, and they'd do their best legally and illegally but they rarely did.

He'd be great in this era where talented players get some protection, but fmd if they hit him the way they used to he'd spend half a game with the HIA guys.

Think I've even still got a Gav soft toy kicking around somewhere :)

Say him walking through Gymea not so long ago. Looked reasonably fit but you could see the toll the game took on his body.

snout

First Grade
I remember being at a semi against the doggies at SFS.
Not sure of the year but mustve been around '86.
Tunks.
Cement.
Langmack.
Folkes.
The usual thugs with their fibreglass arm guards.

Danny lee carried of in the first 10 minutes after they finished him.
Craig dimond on his knees in the centre of the ground throwing up his breakfast after he got a glimpse of what was on offer for the next 80.

And Gav waging a one man war against their pack.
They went at him 4 in a tackle and head high all day.
We got touched up big time but Gav never lost 1 inch in the fight. Probably the toughest player l have ever seen.

Version IV

Juniors
I remember when Sludge died and they interviewed Tommy raudonikis the wrap he gave sludge, talked about balance he had when ran how he could change direction.
But then how tough he was I wish they would replay it

Special K

Coach
Kent loves sludge. Was watching his podcast with matty johns and said something like “you could be at northies and call sludge no matter what the day or time and he’d be there in an hour”

Remember being at a semi against the doggies at SFS.
Not sure of the year but mustve been around '86.

It was 1988 and I was there with a massive hangover, but it was a no contest, and Barry Russell was out injured and that seriously limited our attacking options against that rock solid robotic Bulldogs defence.

I would add David Peachey to the conversation, magic player that he was. I remember both Steve Rogers and Gav Miller clearly and some of your descriptions match my memories..

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The clarify

Steve Rogers
Reminds me of a shark gliding through the water gaining speed as he swerved.

Gavin Miller
Yet to see a backrower run a team like him, what a ball player.

Andrew Ettingshausen
Outstanding weapon, who grew into a great defensive centre. You cannot coach speed.

Paul Gallen
Premiership winning captain.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Bishop, David Hatch (please play lock Wade) Kurt Sorenson, The Peach, QLD Rogers, Nikau was great, The great man Luke Lewis, Papenhausen's father Russell. Gladitor "the Hammer".

Need brains donated when dead, Martin Lang, Nathan Long, Danny Nutley and well Ritson happened.

Here's another one for yas
Kevvie Walters fave was Sludge as well, and his fave team was the Sharks when he was young

DJDL

Bench
Sludge is the reason I'm a Sharkie as well.

Don't tell anyone, but I was actually a Rooters fan as a kid.

The Sharks we always my second team as Sludge was my favourite player. I also used to love watching the Sorensons, Steve Kneen and a host of other Sharkies from that era.

When I was a teenager, and old enough to start working out what was going on off the field, I got disillusioned with the Rooters being a poor-man's Manly, as they were at the time, and spending up big on has-beens trying to win themselves a premiership.

So I said "up yours, Rooters, I'm going for the Sharks now".

In hindsight, maybe not the smartest life decision... :p

Latest posts