What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

soc123_au

Staff member
Just a thought. We are looking for an attacking coach perhaps Benji Marshall might be interesting choice if he decides to retire. I know he is Tigers through and through but you never get if you don't ask.
Benji's skills aren't really the kind that can be taught. I think similar to Joey & why he hasn't been a resounding success as a halves coach. You want someone who was a gun through hard work & smart thinking more so that someone who was freakishly talented.

franklin2323

Immortal
Would be odd to lose both, as much as I’m not sure about Hetherington I doubt we can get a better 5th prop. Just a question of how much money he’s on I guess.

Using the figures in that Top 100 countdown. $400k is too much for a 5th prop.

If the rumours of Burton training as a lock is true starting pre season. That would push Yeo or Martin to prop. Bringing in a depth forward to replace Hetherington

Original Name

Juniors
Value for money is something to consider for Whare/Mansour. Mansour always takes unders and both would qualify for the long service cap allowance. Depending on how much they're on it might be worth keeping on around. 100K that we'd lose if don't replace them with a player that's played 10 years.

If the rumours of Burton training as a lock is true starting pre season. That would push Yeo or Martin to prop. Bringing in a depth forward to replace Hetherington
Those top 100 numbers are bullshit estimations. Nobody reported the number Cleary was on when he re-signed but now they know? Why didn't they write an article about it then? You know the DT would have wrote an article about it if they found out he was on a million.

franklin2323

Immortal
Value for money is something to consider for Whare/Mansour. Mansour always takes unders and both would qualify for the long service cap allowance. Depending on how much they're on it might be worth keeping on around. 100K that we'd lose if don't replace them with a player that's played 10 years.

Those top 100 numbers are bullshit estimations. Nobody reported the number Cleary was on when he re-signed but now they know? Why didn't they write an article about it then? You know the DT would have wrote an article about it if they found out he was on a million.

Some are bullshit. Some not you gotta take it for what it is. BUT in such cases it is the manager leaking such things. So may include TPA's or what they want to get next deal. So leak on overs to bluff someone.

Sadly we don't have confirmed figures so need to use such figures for point of discussion

I have a particularly hard time believing that 400k figure, but if it’s anywhere near that then I understand letting him go.

I don’t see how Burton would be ready to play full time at lock next year, maybe some limited minutes. He’s a good 10-15kg off the weight he’d need to be. Aside from that I think it’d be a huge waste of his talent at such a young age.

GongPanther

Referee
Slot straight back in? At the expense of Naden? Whare’s defence isn’t what it used to be and he offers nothing in attack. I can’t see why he’d play unless there’s an injury.
"Whare is a key member of the squad, and looking at a round 19 availability"

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2020/09/11/westfund-injury-update-round-18/

We will be needing Whare in the centres playing against the likes of whoever we will be lining up against in the finals, especially Easts and Storm. He will bring a defensive stability with his experience and he will be fresh and raring to go, proving his toe doesn't hinder him again.

Smug Panther

First Grade

Jane Murray

Bench
"Whare is a key member of the squad, and looking at a round 19 availability"

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2020/09/11/westfund-injury-update-round-18/

We will be needing Whare in the centres playing against the likes of whoever we will be lining up against in the finals, especially Easts and Storm. He will bring a defensive stability with his experience and he will be fresh and raring to go, proving his toe doesn't hinder him again.
I hope not. Whare has hardly been a factor in the success, and it is unfair to the player who will lose his spot.

ACTPanthers

Bench
No way you just bring Whare in... Sure, he might have been a defensive beast, but those days are gone in my opinion and he just doesn't have the attack to be of any benefit to the side.

Great player in his day, but just doesn't have "it" anymore IMO.

GongPanther

Referee
I hope not. Whare has hardly been a factor in the success, and it is unfair to the player who will lose his spot.
The other logic behind my conclusion is that Whare reminds me so much of the likes of premiership winning centres such as Col Bentley (1991) and Paul Whatuira (2003), who weren't the flash centres of their times, but were defensively very sound, which in a centre pairing, is a must.

Kilkenny

Coach
I can’t see a spot for Dean unless one of the current centres is injured, and if Naden or Crichton we’re injured I could see Capewell getting picked in front of Dean.

GongPanther

Referee
No way you just bring Whare in... Sure, he might have been a defensive beast, but those days are gone in my opinion and he just doesn't have the attack to be of any benefit to the side.

Great player in his day, but just doesn't have "it" anymore IMO.
What do you think has happened to him...indecisiveness in reading the attack, too slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts