What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GongPanther

Referee
I can’t see a spot for Dean unless one of the current centres is injured, and if Naden or Crichton we’re injured I could see Capewell getting picked in front of Dean.
I'm wondering why the physio has put it out that Dean will be at the forefront in being considered if ppl say that he is past his best.

Kilkenny

Coach
It’s a shame there was no NSW Cup, Flegg and other junior comps this this year which may have given us a better idea whether we can cover the likely losses of Tamou and Hetherington from within or whether we will require one or two depth signings.

A mate of mine who has good connections to the club believes Hetherington is likely to leave because there a number of clubs keen on him and we won’t be in a position to retain him past 2021 if he stays for next season. The thought is letting him leave early allows more money to retain the others we are desperate to keep. Shame if it happens I think he is going to develop into one of the leading front rowers in the next two to three seasons.

Last edited:

WestyLife

First Grade
It’s a shame there was no NSW Cup, Flegg and other junior comps this this year which may have given us a better idea whether we can cover the likely losses of Tamou and Hetherington from within or whether we will require one or two depth signings.

A mate of mine who has good connections to the club believes Hetherington is likely to leave because there a number of clubs keen on him and we won’t be in a position to retain him past 2021 if he stays for next season. The thought is letting him leave early allows more money to retain the others we are desperate to keep. Shame if it happens I think he is going to develop into one of the leading front rowers in the next two to three seasons.

Hetherington having so much potential is also what makes him hard to retain. Sucks but it's what the salary cap is designed for.

kinghippo

Juniors

It certainly may be a shame but at the moment it would be a bigger shame to loose Spencer, Luai or Creighton.
There is something about Jack, he has an energy to him that stands out, if he has to go I hope he goes to NZ and kills it for them, they deserve a break.

Jane Murray

Bench
The other logic behind my conclusion is that Whare reminds me so much of the likes of premiership winning centres such as Col Bentley (1991) and Paul Whatuira (2003), who weren't the flash centres of their times, but were defensively very sound, which in a centre pairing, is a must.

True, however, we are on a winning streak, so why change it?

Pomoz

Bench
I honestly think he just got too old mate - As you indicated above, age slows you down. He'd still have the brain, just not the physicality he had previously to be able to get into the position he knows he needs to be in.
This. In the centres is where you get the players with fancy footwork trying to create space, if you are a bit too slow, even when you have read the play, speed can burn you. Look at Staines try against Manly. They had the space covered but he used his speed to create a bit of space and the footwork to get over the line. The winger and centre knew what was happening, they just couldn't stop it.

kinghippo

Juniors
This. In the centres is where you get the players with fancy footwork trying to create space, if you are a bit too slow, even when you have read the play, speed can burn you. Look at Staines try against Manly. They had the space covered but he used his speed to create a bit of space and the footwork to get over the line. The winger and centre knew what was happening, they just couldn't stop it.
Centres seems to be a young man’s game at the moment.
There are not that many older centres in the game who remain competitive.
Croker and Morris are the only ones that spring to mind.
The game is obviously faster this year and speed off the mark seems to be a really big factor in attack and defence.

"Whare is a key member of the squad, and looking at a round 19 availability"

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/news/2020/09/11/westfund-injury-update-round-18/

We will be needing Whare in the centres playing against the likes of whoever we will be lining up against in the finals, especially Easts and Storm. He will bring a defensive stability with his experience and he will be fresh and raring to go, proving his toe doesn't hinder him again.

Hmm, I’d be very surprised. He might get a game before the finals, just for match fitness. But I can’t see him taking Naden’s spot. Our defence has been solid with Naden in the centre’s, not need to change things up now.

Pomoz

Bench
Centres seems to be a young man’s game at the moment.
There are not that many older centres in the game who remain competitive.
Croker and Morris are the only ones that spring to mind.
The game is obviously faster this year and speed off the mark seems to be a really big factor in attack and defence.
Well said. Imagine marking Staggs? FFS, he is like a human explosion of energy, muscle and sinew.

GongPanther

Referee

And on the flip side, because those players weren't playing in the lower grades, they've always been available injury free. But all in all, it comes down to having the fittest and strongest squad of this season.

franklin2323

Immortal
No way you just bring Whare in... Sure, he might have been a defensive beast, but those days are gone in my opinion and he just doesn't have the attack to be of any benefit to the side.

Great player in his day, but just doesn't have "it" anymore IMO.

Decent depth should a centre go down

Kilkenny

Coach
Flanagan leaving St George. Any good for us in place of Barrett?
Not for me. You don’t want a head coach in waiting as your 2IC. Plenty of options out there amongst the up and comers or former head coaches unlikely to get another head coach job ie Jason Taylor.

Status
Not open for further replies.