What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

LU's Favourite TV Show

axl rose

Bench
giphy.gif

#28: The Wonder Years (1988 - 1993) - 153 points
What a wonderful show. As a kid I didn't get why Jack was such an asshole sometimes. Now as a parent... ohh i get it

Matua

Bench
Parks and Rec: Yay, at least one of my shows hit the top 20.

The Wonder Years: Was this big in Oz? I barely remember it being on in NZ, maybe on Sunday afternoons.

Misanthrope

Staff member

The Wonder Years: Was this big in Oz? I barely remember it being on in NZ, maybe on Sunday afternoons.

It's hard for me to say, as I was quite young when it was a thing and I mostly saw it on weekend afternoon TV.

Re Wonder Years, yes mate it was big in the day. Definitely shown in prime time, from memory on a Tuesday night. But got a thought it was possibly moved to Sunday nights - the primest of prime time slots.

Any gun show back then was usually given a run against 60 minutes on channel 9 (their big swinging dick of a show, a shadow of its former self now).

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite TV Show: #20 - #16
#20: Top Gear (2002 - present) - 177 points

Creator: Jeremy Clarkson and Andy Wilman.
Network(s): BBC Two, BBC HD, and BBC Knowledge.
Cast: Jeremy Clarkson, Richard Hammond, James May, and others.
Awards: International Emmy for Best Non-Scripted Entertainment (2005)

One might not think what is essentially a motoring magazine show would go on to become one of the most popular shows of the last two decades, but the formula stumbled upon by Jeremy Clarkson and his co-hosts soon had people across the world tuning in to hear their jokes, see their outlandish challenges, and learn a little about cars along the way.

While the original hosts have since moved on and been replaced with a fresh crop of motoring enthusiasts, Top Gear remains on the air 17 years after its first season.

#19: True Detective (2014 - present) - 180 points

Creator
: Nic Pizzolatto
Network: HBO
Cast: Matthew McConnaghy, Woody Harrelson, Michelle Monaghan, Alexandra Daddario, Colin Farrel, Vince Vaughn, Rachel McAdams, Taylor Kitsch, Mahershala Ali, Stephen Doorf, and Scoot McNairy.
Awards: Emmy for Outstanding Directing in a Drama Series (Cary Joji f**kunaga) in 2014.

One of a series of anthology series currently doing the rounds, True Detective burst onto the scene with a bang in a tightly scripted, well-shot, and brilliantly acted first season that followed a pair of mismatched cops looking to solve a murder in Louisiana.

The second two seasons focused on different crimes, different characters, and different settings - and while they've maintained their prestige through high profile casts and crew, neither of the follow-up seasons have managed to quite capture the imagination in the same way that the original season did.

#18: Firefly (2002) - 195 points

Creator
: Joss Whedon
Network: Fox
Cast: Nathan Fillion, Morena Baccarin, Gina Torres, Alan Tudyk, Jewel Staite, Adam Baldwin, Sean Maher, Summer Glau, and Ron Glass.
Awards: N/A

The shortest-lived show to make the top twenty thirty, Joss Whedon's Firefly was dogged from the outset by a network that didn't have the patience or understanding to see what it was that the creator of previous hits Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel was trying to achieve.

Featuring a brilliant ensemble cast and a relatively unique setting that combined a Western with science fiction, Whedon's irreverent scripts were brought to life by a cast that clearly loved every moment that they spent together. While Fox did their best to torpedo the show by switching its air dates and playing episodes out of order, it ended its 14 episode run with a cult following that would eventually spawn a critically acclaimed movie, Serenity.

Gone before its time, Firefly is clearly still beloved by its fans.

#17: Hannibal (2013 - 2015) - 196 points

Creator
: Bryan Fuller
Network: NBC
Cast: Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen, Gillian Anderson, Caroline Dhavernas, Hettienne Park, Laurence Fishburne, Aaron Abrams, and Scott Thompson.
Awards: N/A.

Another show that was gone before its time, Hannibal told the story of the hugely popular Thomas Harris character, Hannibal Lecter. Set before he was brought to life by Sir Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, and Hannibal, the TV series explores the relationship between FBI agent, Will Graham and talented (and cannibalistic) forensic psychologist, Hannibal Lecter.

Stylish, gory, and plenty of fun, Hannibal developed a cult following that would not be enough to keep it on the air, ending its run after just three stellar seasons.

#16: Rick & Morty (2013 - present) - 204 points

Creator
: Dan Harmon & Justin Roiland
Network: Adult Swim
Cast: Justin Roiland, Chris Parnell, Sarah Chalke, and Spencer Grammer.
Awards: Emmy for Outstanding Animated Program (2018).

Brought to the life by the devious minds of Dan Harmon (Community) and voice actor and animator, Justin Roiland, Rick and Morty is somewhere between a thinking man's science fiction comedy and one of the most immature, puerile, and irreverent shows on television.

Based on the idea of a drunken Doc Brown and a wide-eyed Marty McFly, each episode of Rick & Morty explores different science fiction and pop culture tropes in strange and often offensive ways. While its fandom can be a bit insufferable, the show itself never presents a dull moment.

Last edited:

mackdadday

Juniors
In
#22: Hannibal (2013 - 2015) - 196 points

Creator
: Bryan Fuller
Cast: Hugh Dancy, Mads Mikkelsen, Gillian Anderson, Caroline Dhavernas, Hettienne Park, Laurence Fishburne, Aaron Abrams, and Scott Thompson.
Awards: N/A.

Another show that was gone before its time, Hannibal told the story of the hugely popular Thomas Harris character, Hannibal Lecter. Set before he was brought to life by Sir Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs, Red Dragon, and Hannibal, the TV series explores the relationship between FBI agent, Will Graham and talented (and cannibalistic) forensic psychologist, Hannibal Lecter.

Stylish, gory, and plenty of fun, Hannibal developed a cult following that would not be enough to keep it on the air, ending its run after just three stellar seasons.

#

My number 1 for so many reasons. Will Graham in the tv series is actually an amalgamation of Clarice Starling and Will Graham from the books.

Before we launch into the countdown proper, I wanted to highlight the shows that received votes and didn't make the cut.

In descending order, from least received votes to most. I've highlighted the ones I'm most surprised to see outside the top 25.

Survivor

Wasn't sure if I had voted or not, but this tells me that I did.

Top Gear was in mine. Haven’t seen a second of the others. And hadn’t even heard of firefly.

Maybe it’s because of my “lateness” to the Netflix party. Or maybe I’m simply blissfully unaware of much of the world. Or both.

Misanthrope

Staff member
LU's Favourite TV Show: #15 - #11
#15: Rome (2005 - 2007) - 208 points

Creator: John Milius, William J. McDonald, and Bruno Heller.
Network(s): HBO & BBC Two.
Cast: Kevin McKidd, Ray Stevenson, Ciaran Hinds, Kenneth Cranham, Tobias Menzies, Kerry Condon, and Lindsay Duncan.
Awards: Emmy Awards for Outstanding Visual Effects, Outstanding Art Direction, Outstanding Cinematography, and Outstanding Hairstyiling.

Another show that many would argue was gone before its time, HBO's big-budget retelling of key events from the empire of the same name. While it focused on large scale events such as the Gallic War and the Ides of March, its central characters were a pair of ordinary soldiers mixed up in some of the most significant events in Roman history.

A hugely successful first season might have led HBO & BBC to think they'd struck a gold mine, but a less popular second season coupled with the costs of a period drama meant that Rome only ever got the two seasons.

#14: The Late Show with David Letterman (1993 - 2015) - 216 points

Creator
: David Letterman
Network: CBS
Cast: David Letterman and Paul Shaffer.
Awards: Emmy Award for Outstanding Comedy Series (1993-94, 1997-98, 1998-99, 1999-00, 2000-01, and 2001-02).

A fixture on US late night television and on televisions around the world, The Late Show with David Letterman is one of the most instantly recognisable talk shows in television history.

While it was hardly a new concept (the network had tried and failed on several occasions to compete with the hugely popular Tonight Show for decades), CBS' decision to poach David Letterman from NBC in 1993 proved incredibly successful from both a ratings and critical acclaim perspective.

The three war 'feud' with Jay Leno and Conan O'Brien led to something of a golden age for late night television, and many are the people who would wrap up their day watching David Letterman rattle off a 'Top 10'.

#13: The West Wing (1999 - 2006) - 225 points

Creator: Aaron Sorkin
Cast: Rob Lowe, Moira Kelly, Dule Hill, Allison Janney, Richard Schiff, Martin Sheen, Mary McCormack, Alan Alda, Jimmy Smitts, and Kristin Chenoweth.
Awards: Golden Globes for Best Drama (2000) and Best Actor (Martin Sheen - 2000) and Emmy Awards for Outstanding Drama (2000, 2001, 2002, 2003), Outstanding Supporting Actor (John Schiff - 2000, Bradley Whitford - 2001, John Spencer - 2002, Alan Alda - 2004), Outstanding Supporting Actress (Allison Janney - 2000, 2001, Stockard Channing - 2002), Outstanding Directing (2000, 2001, 2003), Outstanding Writing (2000), Outstanding Lead Actress (Allison Janney - 2002, 2004)

One of the most critically acclaimed dramas in recent memory, NBC's The West Wing was a hugely popular political drama documenting the events of a fictional Democratic president in the White House's Oval Office. Seen as a thinking man's drama, it enjoyed immense popularity with politically savvy viewers, and is still considered one of the best shows in modern television history.

#12: The Office (2001 - 2003) - 364 points

Creator: Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant.
Network: BBC Two
Cast: Ricky Gervais, Martin Freeman, Mackenzie Crook, and Lucy Davis
Awards: Golden Globe for Best Comedy (2003).

Before the hugely popular US adaptation, the cynical British tale of miserable bosses, miserable employees, and the low-stakes world of paper sales was capturing and shattering hearts in both the UK and abroad. The first non-US show to be nominated for the Best Comedy Golden Globe, The Office was a cult success thanks largely to the insufferably wormy David Brent, as portrayed by show creator, Ricky Gervais.

While this cynical tone did not translate as well to US audiences (prompting a wildly different US interpretation), there are few who won't list off The Office as one of the greatest comedies of not only the modern era, but of all time.

#11: Community (2009 - 2015) - 369 points

Creator: Dan Harmon
Network: NBC and Yahoo! Screen
Cast: Joel McHale, Gillian Jacobs, Danny Pudi, Chevy Chase, Donald Glover, Jim Rash, Ken Jeong, Alison Brie, and Yvette Nicole-Brown.
Awards: Outstanding Animation (2011).

Another show that many would argue was gone before its time, cult favorite Community detailed the lives of a group of lovable losers attending an increasingly fanciful community college in Colorado. While early episodes were relatively grounded, it was Dan Harmon's ability to create homages to other cinematic styles that found the quirky show its true home.

Dogged by ratings drama, the clash between Chevy Chase and Dan Harmon, shortened seasons, and meddling executives, Community still managed to irk out six unforgettable seasons (well, season four was relatively forgettable) and unearthed some of modern cinema's most influential directors - including Avengers directors, Joe & Anthony Russo.

Matua

Bench
Sweet two more of my shows made the cut (The West WIng and Community).

Frikkin weird that a late night talk show made it. What's coming up in the top 10 cooking shows??? ;)