What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giant gun Jason Saab to ditch Mary’s Dragons as rivals circle

Happy with this swap.

Saab doesn’t want to be at the club.

Don’t care why. Paltry excuses made.

He is unco-ordinated. That is something that is very difficult to rectify.

Had zero ability to take the high ball.

Garrick has had 2 good seasons at Manly.

He is actually a decent goal kicker.

Saw no career progression with Mary.

Welcome back to the red V Reuben.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m not sure it’s a fair swap for Garrick.

He’s proved himself a solid goal kicker, but we have Lomax for that.

Outside of that his general play isn’t really anything we don’t have.

Saab has more upside TBH..

And of course Saab showed us what

Abominable defensive reads

Never in position in attack or defence

Poor handling

Uncoordinated

Woeful under the high ball

Clearly a future state of origin winger :)

Garrick has in contrast proven himself to be an NRL standard player.

He will have Pereira’s position by the start of next season unless one of the Fegai’s trump him.

redVinme

Juniors

Last year yes.
This year
39 / 54 72.22%

Worse still is the manner in which he has missed some real sitters this year.

Has suffered some real 2nd year syndrome and defence if anything has regressed.

I'd agree Saab has more upside but even still we can do better than both. IMO

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
This Saab hate by the cranky few is over the top. Did he hurt your feelings at some point?

It is what it is... don't take it personally.
It’s a bit bizarre isn’t it..

Wasn’t that long ago many were spouting that Saab was the future..

boardlumps62

Juniors
Well I can access any of those web site to read the stories if factual have to be careful everyone.
So I was sad when Garrick departed to play wing being a junior who was a centre I think with potential. Then he brains it not blistering pace but gets the job done and kicks a mean goal and is big and strong and a Dragon. So Saab going to Manly well right now don't give a dig because he has showed me nothing. Sad but if he performed and did the hard yards like Pereira and Twinkle Toes and all the other wingers well I might feel different. You see I played winger too but not as strong as NRL players but Saab shows nothing. Truely I dont understandw he doesn't have a dig to just show what we will miss.

giboz71

First Grade
I’m really indifferent to this swap.
Garrick is nothing special and I’ve seen nothing from Saab to be honest.

Seemingly he didn’t want to be at the club however, that’s up to him. He signed a contract and changed his mind, it happens. There is still a fairly long way to travel to Manly, so doubt that was the most compelling reason?

He may end up being a big loss, but from the little I have seen of him, there is not too much evidence he’ll be anything special.

boardlumps62

Juniors
I’m really indifferent to this swap.
Garrick is nothing special and I’ve seen nothing from Saab to be honest.

Seemingly he didn’t want to be at the club however, that’s up to him. He signed a contract and changed his mind, it happens. There is still a fairly long way to travel to Manly, so doubt that was the most compelling reason?

He may end up being a big loss, but from the little I have seen of him, there is not too much evidence he’ll be anything special.
A lot of people have the same thoughts can't work out what all the hypes about. Guess we will find out.

rasaint

Juniors
All things considered Saab wants out. Who knows the whole story and I say good luck to him.

Reuben Garrick is genuinely a quick NRL winger. If he gets fresh air in front of him he can score from long range. A bit like Nene, quick but not lighting fast. Seems to have game situation smarts and throws to others in a better position to score.True suffered this his second NRL year because mainly Manly have had so many injuries and disruptions this year.

Rueben is an ok deal if it happens and not dragons forking out extra. Does he really want to leave the sea eagles and come to us? Much rather Josh Ado Carr obviously.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It’s a bit bizarre isn’t it..

Wasn’t that long ago many were spouting that Saab was the future..
To be fair, which side of the fence to sit on is a difficult proposition.

1. Rugby League is a business, and Clubs, player managers and their clients may have just come to a professional agreement.

Or maybe...

2. There's something more sinister going on. Evil stuff being dealt out by Satan himself.

It's hard to decide which side to pick.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
To be fair, which side of the fence to sit on is a difficult proposition.

1. Rugby League is a business, and Clubs, player managers and their clients may have just come to a professional agreement.

Or maybe...

2. There's something more sinister going on. Evil stuff being dealt out by Satan himself.

It's hard to decide which side to pick.
Why not both?

I mean, rugby league is a business..

But Mary’s coaching was also part of that business.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Saab has not lived up to the hype surrounding him. His only skill is running the ball back due to his size. He is not a good jumper in the air, lacks true speed, is uncoordinated, not a great tackler, has no sidestep, has poor hands and no great heart. I would rate him below many others as a winger.
1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Garrick
4. Pereira
5. Saab
6. Max Fegai
7. Matt Fegai

Crush

Coach
Saab has not lived up to the hype surrounding him. His only skill is running the ball back due to his size. He is not a good jumper in the air, lacks true speed, is uncoordinated, not a great tackler, has no sidestep, has poor hands and no great heart. I would rate him below many others as a winger.
1. Ramsey
2. Ravalawa
3. Garrick
4. Pereira
5. Saab
6. Max Fegai
7. Matt Fegai
Saab has barely played first grade, its a bit early to know what he will be I reckon.
I believe he will be a gun in a few years when he fills out and gets comfortable.
Shame we are losing him but can't keep someone that doesn't want to be there.

LINESPEED

Juniors
I'd agree Saab has more upside but even still we can do better than both. IMO

Just hope Garrick’s return doesn’t block the prospect of Max & Matt playing alongside each other.

They could be anything - given a proper chance

Gasnier’s return ultimately cost us the longterm loss of the Morris partnership

...and their loss IMHO has been the greatest mistake in the last 11 yrs - as their combined presence would’ve given us a tryscoring backline that would’ve delivered us 2-3 premierships.

I’d’ve offered Josh overs for the other wing spot - just to keep him on board.
I know there was a falling out & by the time of Gasnier’s early retirement the horse has bolted

What a dual loss!

Pathways never seem easy at our Club

PS
Sorry, but I just don’t rate the allround skill set of our current wingers at all
...remnant McFail journeymen types IMO

Last edited:

possm

Coach
And of course Saab showed us what

Abominable defensive reads

Never in position in attack or defence

Poor handling

Uncoordinated

Woeful under the high ball

Clearly a future state of origin winger :)

Garrick has in contrast proven himself to be an NRL standard player.

He will have Pereira’s position by the start of next season unless one of the Fegai’s trump him.
Wingers
Pereira
Ravalawa
Ramsey
Feagai
Shiller
Garrick

I would have swaped for a good prop llike AFB with a cash adjustment. Now that Tamou looks like going to the Tigers and Welch is staying at the Storm, we have still not signed the two top grade props we need and instead have now got 6 wingers on our list with five of them in our top 30.

Maybe Griffin is looking to use Garrick as a left centre or fullback.

dragon thomo

Juniors
I like Pierra over Rava as i think he has all the qualities of a winger except speed
And that is our problem.
We need speed.
If he does not pick up their speed get rid of him.
As for Rava I would let him go

possm

Coach
I like Pierra over Rava as i think he has all the qualities of a winger except speed
And that is our problem.
We need speed.
If he does not pick up their speed get rid of him.
As for Rava I would let him go
Well there you go and you won't get an argument out of me on this however, Millward extended the contracts of both Ravalawa and Pereira, so we are stuck with them for a while to come.

On this occasion we did not need to swap like for like. We could have just shed ourselves of Saab, who by the way I believe will be a great winger, and used the cash to put with the Graham money to buy a really good prop.

Under our new coach, Saab could have turned out to be the winger we need.

As wing is the preferred position to bring outside backs through into first grade, we now will have blocked the path of players like Ramsey, Schiller and Feagai.