What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

ACTPanthers

Bench
Where’s the 19 years gone, I was a young 40 when that happened.

Very sad event.
I was at Watsonia barracks at the time, and had just come of a massive night after being out field for a few weeks. Dragged my hungover arse out of bed at 0630 and was frantically looking for my PT gear when I heard the news. My mum and dad had moved to the states about 3 weeks before and I was a little worried until I found out the specifics of where it was and whatnot. Still, the DS were good and organised for me to call them to make sure they were ok.

Kilkenny

Coach
I was at Watsonia barracks at the time, and had just come of a massive night after being out field for a few weeks. Dragged my hungover arse out of bed at 0630 and was frantically looking for my PT gear when I heard the news. My mum and dad had moved to the states about 3 weeks before and I was a little worried until I found out the specifics of where it was and whatnot. Still, the DS were good and organised for me to call them to make sure they were ok.

When I was 40 years young I was still capable of some functions even with a huge hangover.

Sadly not so today.

Put in a shift in the garden today followed by three Coopers Pale Ales and two large glasses of Shiraz. Given I am meeting friends at the Paceway pre-game, more drinks at the game and hopefully some celebratory drinks when I get home tonight I suspect I am going to be in a world of hurt tomorrow which hopefully will be much less painful if we win tonight.

Are your parents still in the USA. It’s kinda sad where the US is at present with so much turmoil and unrest. We more than ever need our allies in the US to be strong and healthy, but sadly they appear to be far from strong. Not trying to make any political statements here by the way.

Have to say I have been very fortunate to visit various parts of the US over the years, love the place, lovely friendly people wherever we have visited regardless of colour or race.

The 9/11 Memorial Musuem in NYC is perhaps the most amazing attraction I have ever visited on our world travels. Doing the tour I don’t think I have ever shed so many tears it is an amazing emotional experience But is so tastefully done and all class.

Pomoz

Bench
Being an old geezer myself, if there is one thing I have learned about drinking is if you are going to do it, do it well. As my mate said to me when I turned up at his house with a cheap bottle of red to watch the footy, "life's too short to drink cheap red wine" and he threw it in the bin and said "I wouldn't even cook bolognese with that shit. Here, try this". I tucked into a Bowen Estate shiraz from the Coonawarra and it was delicious. More than double the price of my selection of paint stripper, but worth every penny. After a few bottles or three and a taxi home (I couldn't see the road let alone the car). The next day I felt flat, but surprisingly good.

In the interests of science and because I wanted to make sure my friends don't have to make the same mistakes, I repeated the experiment many times to ensure I had a sufficient sample size. I can confirm that it works with all types of good red wines, not just Bowen Estate. I even broadened the research to include red wines from other countries including Italy, Chile, USA and South Africa. I didn't want to leave anything to chance and you can thank me later.

In an effort to advance the science of hangovers even further, I expanded my research to include Whiskey and Bourbon and can report that this principle applies to those as well. The results were the same. Hangovers are demonstrably better with good quality alcohol. If you want a quality hangover, drink quality alcohol. simples.

I will continue my research tonight with a bottle of Torbrek "The Steading" and possibly a few bottles of Edringer Weiss Beer. I'll let you know my findings......

maple_69

Bench
I’m leaning towards not resting players, really stretching out our attack with the full side and play for the rest in week 2 of the finals. Sauce, Fish and Tamou are the 3 older blokes with a bit of workload who haven’t had a break and Fish and Sauce just seem to have gone up a notch the last 3 weeks.

CCJohnC

Juniors
I’m leaning towards not resting players, really stretching out our attack with the full side and play for the rest in week 2 of the finals. Sauce, Fish and Tamou are the 3 older blokes with a bit of workload who haven’t had a break and Fish and Sauce just seem to have gone up a notch the last 3 weeks.

Fish is only 24.

The_Frog

First Grade

Jane Murray

Bench
Hardly surprisingly for Andrew Webster, he leaves out the name Anthony Griffin as a contributor. Apart from bringing a fair few of these blokes into first grade, Hook introduced a winning culture into the club, which is proving invaluable now.

You have lost me with Anthony Griffin, is there are feud between the pair? Ivan is a lot better than what Anthony is.

Smug Panther

First Grade
Whilst a joke Nathan and Luai clearly showed who they respect more out of Gus/Hook when asked by Fletch and Hindy the other night

The_Frog

First Grade
You have lost me with Anthony Griffin, is there are feud between the pair? Ivan is a lot better than what Anthony is.
Webster wrote an article last week critical of Griffin in no uncertain terms at the time the Dragons coaching job was being determined. There is considerable animosity between the Nine/SMH camp (Gus, Webster, Chammas, etc) and the News Ltd side (Rothfield, Kent, Hooper, Crawley) that came to a head over Hook's appointment as Dragons coach. It was a short, sharp and dirty campaign.

Ivan is going great but I'm sure he'd be first to acknowledge the contribution of Hook to this year's performance.

Jane Murray

Bench
Webster wrote an article last week critical of Griffin in no uncertain terms at the time the Dragons coaching job was being determined. There is considerable animosity between the Nine/SMH camp (Gus, Webster, Chammas, etc) and the News Ltd side (Rothfield, Kent, Hooper, Crawley) that came to a head over Hook's appointment as Dragons coach. It was a short, sharp and dirty campaign.

Ivan is going great but I'm sure he'd be first to acknowledge the contribution of Hook to this year's performance.
Thanks for the explanation, and I think Ivan has done that.

WestyLife

First Grade

Webster is a die hard dragons fan who genuinely doesn't rate Griffin.

WestyLife

First Grade
Who is best mates with Gus who we know doesn't like Griffin. So you won't get a positive article out of him

That's circumstantial at best though and whats known as "poisoning the well" - Poisoning the well is a type of informal fallacy where adverse information about a target is preemptively presented to an audience, with the intention of discrediting or ridiculing something that the target person is about to say.

The guy is still one of the few reslected rugby league Journalists who said he spoke to people at the club.

Latest posts