What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cody Ramsey

getsmarty

Immortal
Look it’s left field but Jordan P is such a strong runner and makes tremendous metres; why not a back rower. His tackling is also strong and weighs in around 96 kg. He is like a little cannonball. Reckon he could power over in the middle close to the line.

Why not..because our forwards are already a bunch of lightweights...

Jordan would be cannon fodder...he would get out - muscled just like mcinnes is at lock...

We need to buy some hard nuts ala J.Smith/Costigan and Weyman....

as Wayne used to say.."we have a soft underbelly. "

possm

Coach
Why not..because our forwards are already a bunch of lightweights...

Jordan would be cannon fodder...he would get out - muscled just like mcinnes is at lock...

We need to buy some hard nuts ala J.Smith/Costigan and Weyman....

as Wayne used to say.."we have a soft underbelly. "
Pereira is a good backup winger for first grade, nothing more.

Spazer

Juniors
We're going to lose some size and those big hits rav provides us but Ramsey needs to start getting game time even if it means dropping Rav.

getsmarty

Immortal
Emotional moment mum of NRL rookie breaks down on the sidelines as she watches her son's dreams come true as he scores with his first touch in first grade
  • Cody Ramsey scored a double in his NRL debut for St George Illawarra Dragons
  • The 20-year-old's mother hid her tears behind glasses as she wept in joy
  • Kim Stojanov revealed she hasn't seen her son since March due to COVID-19
By Louise Ayling For Daily Mail Australia

Published: 19:53 AEST, 12 September 2020 | Updated: 20:06 AEST, 12 September 2020

A proud mother burst into tears as she watched her son's incredible NRL debut from the sidelines.

Cody Ramsey, 20, scored two tries within his first 35 minutes on the field for St George Illawarra Dragons on Saturday night.

Footage shows his mother Kim Stojanov breaking down on camera as she watched her son's dreams come true.

Scroll down for video

33087840-8725145-image-a-79_1599903370478.jpg

Footage shows his mother Kim Stojanov breaking down on camera as she watched her son's dreams come true

The winger scored a try during his first touch of the match, before turning it into a double in a fairytale debut for the 20-year-old.

His mum had to hide her tears behind her sunglasses as she celebrated her son's proud achievement during his first time on the field.

But the emotional moment didn't go unnoticed by the Fox News team's eagle-eye commentators.

'You work so hard as a kid and you dream, your only dream as a young fella is to play first grade,' Fox League commentator Braith Anasta said.

Cody Ramsey of the Dragons (left) celebrates with Zac Lomax after scoring his second try during the Round 18 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and Canberra Raiders

'It's your parents who get you there. They support you. They invest in you. You are their life. Then you're on debut at WIN Stadium and you come up with two first half tries.'

He said it gave him goosebumps.

But the rookie's third attempt at a try was disallowed by referees after being deemed offside.

His mother's anger at the referee's decision was also caught on film.

Meanwhile, Stojanov broke down again during a half time chat with Fox League sideline reporter Hannah Hollis.

Cody Ramsey of the Dragons (second left) celebrates with teammates after scoring a try during the Round 18 NRL match between the St George Illawarra Dragons and Canberra Raiders at WIN Stadium in Wollongong

'Cody has worked so hard. It takes a village to raise a child, but Cody has done a lot himself too,' she told Fox Sports.

'March was the last time I have seen Cody because of COVID-19. We message each other every day.'

'His dream's come true. And he's out there doing what he loves. It's amazing. It's just amazing. And everyone is here to celebrate with him.'

Ramsey had a total of 57 friends and family watching his NRL debut.

Despite his strong start, St George Illawarra went down to the Canberra Raiders 37-8 on Saturday night at the WIN Stadium.

'March was the last time I have seen Cody because of COVID-19. We message each other every day,' Kim Stojanov told Fox Sports

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-sidelines-watches-sons-dreams-come-true.html

getsmarty

Immortal
ramsrc2_1467.jpg

DRAGONS

'I wanted to go home': Rookie Ramsey heeds Mum's advice
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Sat 12 Sep 2020, 07:00 PM
walterbrad-head.png

After scoring two tries in his NRL debut, St George Illawarra winger Cody Ramsey revealed how close he had been to quitting the game because of the demands of a 16-hour day as he juggled work, study and training.

“I wanted to go home 1000 times but mum told me to stick it out,” Ramsey said after his team's 37-8 loss to the Raiders.

“I had packed my bags but she just told me, ‘remember why you are up here’. I think about it all the time.”

With his mother Kim among 67 relatives and friends who had travelled from Orange and Molong in NSW’s Central West to WIN Stadium to watch Ramsey play against Canberra, he was glad he took her advice after an impressive debut.

However, the 20-year-old admitted he had struggled to combine work as a mechanical plumber at Ryde in Sydney’s north-west with training in Wollongong for the Dragons, while living at Heathcote on the southern fringe of the city.

“I was getting up at 4.30am and getting home at 8.30pm four days per week for a good year straight,” he said.

“I just had no one up here and I was a bit lost.”

The leading try scorer at February’s NRL Nines in Perth, Ramsey underwent shoulder surgery and only returned to the St George Illawarra bubble in July at the urging of recently departed coach Paul McGregor and interim coach Dean Young.

He hadn’t expected to play this season but Young was impressed by the effort Ramsey showed at training and believed he deserved a chance now.

“He is what this club should be about, a bloke who turns up and tries his hardest at training every day and as you all saw today he tries that hard in the game as well,” Young said.

“Pat Gibson who coached our SG Ball team found him out near Orange way and gave him an opportunity to play on the wing. He has stayed in the system ever since.

“He was getting up at 4am, working all day, coming to Wollongong for training, was the best trainer in the under 20s and getting home at 8.30pm or 9pm, then doing it all over again.

“This year we all got excited about what he delivered at the Nines, then he did his shoulder and he has fought his way back and earned his way into the team through determination and competing at training.”

Ramsey scored on his first touch of the ball in the 17th minute of the match and crossed again in the 36th minute but had a third try disallowed just before half-time when referee Adam Gee ruled Zac Lomax had been offside.

Besides his two tries, Ramsey was pleased to be able to see his parents Kim and David, along with younger sisters Alyze and Jameson and brothers Chase and Dylan, for the first time since March due to the NRL’s strict bio-security protocols.

“When Deano bought me into the office on Tuesday I was expecting to pay my coffee bill if I am being honest,” he said.

“I was shocked and I wasn’t expecting it at all but I was so happy my family got to come.

“I think there was about 67 people coming from Orange and Molong so there was a big crowd and I could hear them from the sideline.”

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/12/i-wanted-to-go-home-rookie-ramsey-heeds-mums-advice/

Dragon David

First Grade
Our club has been devoid of productive set plays for a long time. The Raiders put one on us today and it was a beauty.

Besides putting more effort into making effective tackles, we should have played to our strengths in attack, even though it is limited, and sent the ball out to the flanks more often than not.

Even though we were well and truly beaten, I wanted to see Ramsey score a treble of tries.

Poor defence and too many mistakes leading to the Raiders spending much of the match at our end of the field laid the foundation for their bustling tries.

I'm glad Ramsey scored, that was our highlight.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yes, I'm really looking forward to see how Ramsey goes outside Lomax. Ramsey will be so hungry that he and Lomax will give their opposition no rest under the high bombs coming their way this game.
They went pretty good but Zac had a bad one this week. This will be better next year but more meat on both. If we get Garrick we have the wingers plus Fengai Schiller. Just need some heavy weight pigs.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Cody's mum is a legend - my missus and I teared up when she did and then we got just as mad and said basically the same thing when Cody was brought back after running the length (for what would of been his third try).
Think she dropped the f bomb but so what - congrats to all the family.

Wish I was at the Freemason's in Orange having a nice cold schooner

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
Cody's mum is a legend - my missus and I teared up when she did and then we got just as mad and said basically the same thing when Cody was brought back after running the length (for what would of been his third try).
Think she dropped the f bomb but so waht - congrats to all the family.

Wish I was at the Freemason's in Orange having a nice cold schooner
Yes, well said Banjo. Cody's mum is very proud of him I would imagine and her tears of joy were there for all to see. A lovely lady.

rasaint

Juniors
That was a rubbish penalty by the ref when Cody intercepted and cleared out. An 8 point turnaround to the Raiders. Huge advantage and very lucky for them.

Why? An unusual penalty.

Raiders went one way and then back inside, then Back toward Lomax, they put it through a number of hands. Lomax simply watched a fast Raiders passing movement go around him and only Cody’s intuition interrupted the last pass to round him; he snatched the pill, beat a tackle and took off back 80 metres.I watched what little vision I could see and Lomax seemed to be about on side and anyway had no influence on the situation. The Raiders were pushing quick passes to one side then back and established their overlap.

simply a rubbish penalty. Also, quite a few of Havilli passes from dummy half look like American grid iron.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That was a rubbish penalty by the ref when Cody intercepted and cleared out. An 8 point turnaround to the Raiders. Huge advantage and very lucky for them.

Why? An unusual penalty.

Raiders went one way and then back inside, then Back toward Lomax, they put it through a number of hands. Lomax simply watched a fast Raiders passing movement go around him and only Cody’s intuition interrupted the last pass to round him; he snatched the pill, beat a tackle and took off back 80 metres.I watched what little vision I could see and Lomax seemed to be about on side and anyway had no influence on the situation. The Raiders were pushing quick passes to one side then back and established their overlap.

simply a rubbish penalty. Also, quite a few of Havilli passes from dummy half look like American grid iron.
That's how I saw it as well. They switched play. The previous play-the-ball was ancient history.

At worst, Lomax wasn't square in the previous ruck but that's something that is let go all day long. At best, the ref decision was nit-picking.

Ramsey was definitely on-side.

The calm one

Juniors
We're going to lose some size and those big hits rav provides us but Ramsey needs to start getting game time even if it means dropping Rav.
No. You want to drop one player who is still learning to play who people love to watch and one day will pay money to go through the gate just to see him play for what. Another player who is learning to play. Dosen't make sense

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
That's how I saw it as well. They switched play. The previous play-the-ball was ancient history.

At worst, Lomax wasn't square in the previous ruck but that's something that is let go all day long. At best, the ref decision was nit-picking.

Ramsey was definitely on-side.
Yes, definitely a nit-picking, party pooper ref. I couldn't believe it when play had been stopped and the Raiders given a penalty. Too bad for Cody as it could have been his third try on debut and you never know, we might not have lost by that many.

possm

Coach
Young confirmed Ramsey has kept his spot. He's a real weapon, hopefully next week Lomax has shaken off whatever it was that come over him today and we can feed him some good clean ball.
I'm sure Dufty won't be dropped, so tell him to chime in on our left side and give cut-out passes to the left winger; by-passing Aitken who also won't be dropped.

Spazer

Juniors
No. You want to drop one player who is still learning to play who people love to watch and one day will pay money to go through the gate just to see him play for what. Another player who is learning to play. Dosen't make sense

No. not permanently, just for a couple of games to get Ramsey some game time. The season is over. I would have Rav round 1 any day and I'm hoping Griffin does too, he's got heaps of potential and has improved massively, but it would be nice to see Ramsey get a couple of games under his belt before the pre season.

The calm one

Juniors
No. not permanently, just for a couple of games to get Ramsey some game time. The season is over. I would have Rav round 1 any day and I'm hoping Griffin does too, he's got heaps of potential and has improved massively, but it would be nice to see Ramsey get a couple of games under his belt before the pre season.
Rav is busted so it will probably happen