What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Toronto Gone?

Perth Red

Post Whore
It only sets a precedent if you want it to. You can’t compare the Toronto and Bradford situations unless you’re just anti Toronto.
Say Toronto were relegated who do you promote in any fair way?

London as the last team to get relegated imo.

SL needs to decide, presuming this new owner stacks up, if they want toronto in SL long term. If it does then get behind them to make them as successful as possible.
central funding
Agreed fixture schedule that best suits wolfpack situation
Salary cap concessions for signing any player from nth America that hasn’t played RL before for First 3 years of that players career (encouraging wolfpack to scout union and college football players)
Removal of travel cost burden

of course this would cost SL and it’s clubs so you’d want to be very very sure of both viability and long term benefit to the game.

Pommy

Coach
London as the last team to get relegated imo.

SL needs to decide, presuming this new owner stacks up, if they want toronto in SL long term. If it does then get behind them to make them as successful as possible.
central funding
Agreed fixture schedule that best suits wolfpack situation
Salary cap concessions for signing any player from nth America that hasn’t played RL before for First 3 years of that players career (encouraging wolfpack to scout union and college football players)
Removal of travel cost burden

of course this would cost SL and it’s clubs so you’d want to be very very sure of both viability and long term benefit to the game.

Is it fair to reinstate London over the team who lost the million pound game? I believe it was Fev. If I had to pick from the two I would pick London also.

I do agree on needing to decide what they want. They need to either remove the travel burden or pay central funds, perhaps even both. At least if they paid central funds there’s no direct hit to the clubs.

They need to try and sort some kind of TV deal with Sky. If the American market expect to be able to see every game on TV they need to make that happen even if it’s Toronto footing the bill (obviously if they chose to do it)
Having this game watched in NA can only help sky in the long run even if there’s a small reduction in value for the TV rights they’ve paid for.

greenBV4

Bench
I really hope Toronto can continue. I'm sick and tired of flaming wreckages of expansion efforts. It gets much harder each time.
I know its tradition but I would love to see the Super League ditch P&R, or atleast somehow have exemptions for expansion

Is there any examples around the world of partial P&R? I could see it potentially working here as well to fix the sydney situation, give Sydney/NSW Cup x spots, each year the best in the cup plays off against .the worst sydney team in the nrl. Could use it for the qcup and qld sides as well. Sure its not exactly fair but its not a good look to see expansion sides that have had money thrown at them to try and grow the games footprint relegated.

Pommy

Coach
I know its tradition but I would love to see the Super League ditch P&R, or atleast somehow have exemptions for expansion

Is there any examples around the world of partial P&R? I could see it potentially working here as well to fix the sydney situation, give Sydney/NSW Cup x spots, each year the best in the cup plays off against .the worst sydney team in the nrl. Could use it for the qcup and qld sides as well. Sure its not exactly fair but its not a good look to see expansion sides that have had money thrown at them to try and grow the games footprint relegated.

It’s more than tradition it’s expected and part of sporting culture there.
I don’t know what the answer is as I want to see a couple of French teams London and the north aMercian teams in there but I also don’t like rules for some and not the others, I don’t believe sport should ever be like that.

Perth Red

Post Whore

No, there'd be rioting in the streets of your team didn't finish bottom but got relegated anyway because of favoritism to some other club just because of their postcode.

Id do away with P&R, increase funding to second tier and have a licence application process for any club outside SL that could meet key criteria, likewise a license withdrawal if a club becomes insolvent in SL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s more than tradition it’s expected and part of sporting culture there.
I don’t know what the answer is as I want to see a couple of French teams London and the north aMercian teams in there but I also don’t like rules for some and not the others, I don’t believe sport should ever be like that.

Its not really tradition in RL. There has been numerous periods of time with and without P&R systems in English RL. The longest period of stability on league structure 1906-1963 was one league with no P&R.

Id have a better funded 12 team second division and a 12 team SL license system with goals to reach a 16 team SL (whilst keeping a 12 team second division) over the next 20 years. This would allow prospective new clubs in expansion areas to bid for licenses, or heartland clubs in second division that build themselves up to do likewise.

Last edited:

Pommy

Coach
Its not really tradition in RL. There has been numerous periods of time with and without P&R systems in English RL. The longest period of stability on league structure 1906-1963 was one league with no P&R.

Id have a better funded 12 team second division and a 12 team SL license system with goals to reach a 16 team SL (whilst keeping a 12 team second division) over the next 20 years. This would allow prospective new clubs in expansion areas to bid for licenses, or heartland clubs in second division that build themselves up to do likewise.

Let’s face it people there are going to draw bigger comparisons to Football than what was going on 60 years ago. It doesn’t change the fact people now expect it and it’s part of sporting culture. I’m not saying it’s the correct way to go but fans are not going to accept it. How would you decide who gets to go in which league? Would you have a third tier with promotion to the second?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Let’s face it people there are going to draw bigger comparisons to Football than what was going on 60 years ago. It doesn’t change the fact people now expect it and it’s part of sporting culture. I’m not saying it’s the correct way to go but fans are not going to accept it. How would you decide who gets to go in which league? Would you have a third tier with promotion to the second?

no I wouldnt have a third professional tier. You could have a third tier national amateur competition for big amateur clubs with ambition to step up to professional league one day. Fans have accepted it in recent years during SL. As long as there is opportunity for clubs who are big enough to step up to apply for a license then we don’t need p&r. All it does is waste money for some clubs could be investing in more productive areas. Yo-yo’ing up and down does no one any good, the promoted team or the relegated one.

Pommy

Coach
no I wouldnt have a third professional tier. You could have a third tier national amateur competition for big amateur clubs with ambition to step up to professional league one day. Fans have accepted it in recent years during SL. As long as there is opportunity for clubs who are big enough to step up to apply for a license then we don’t need p&r. All it does is waste money for some clubs could be investing in more productive areas. Yo-yo’ing up and down does no one any good, the promoted team or the relegated one.

They accepted it so much it lasted how long?

Perth Red

Post Whore
They accepted it so much it lasted how long?

Like I said we have had many many more years without P&R over the history of the game than we have had with it. Interesting to listen to Tony Smith this week talking about his belief that P&R stifles attractive rugby league as many teams are more concerned with not losing than they are with winning.

Pommy

Coach
Like I said we have had many many more years without P&R over the history of the game than we have had with it. Interesting to listen to Tony Smith this week talking about his belief that P&R stifles attractive rugby league as many teams are more concerned with not losing than they are with winning.

But not in recent history which is far more important. I’m not against getting rid of it I just don’t think you will sell it to the customer base.

Perth Red

Post Whore
But not in recent history which is far more important. I’m not against getting rid of it I just don’t think you will sell it to the customer base.

Well in last 11 seasons its been a 5/6 split so yes there is recent history.

Who though? The fans of second division clubs? There's hardly any of them. SL fans? Id think most would be happy to have no relegation. Its an outdated romantic notion that no longer has a place in a sport like RL that doesn't have the resources to properly fund a second tier. The gulf is too big. Clubs going down are likely to go bust, clubs coming up are likely to be cannon fodder and send themselves broke trying to survive year 1. As long as there is some system for clubs to enter SL who are strong enough and sustainable enough, and likewise to boot clubs that cant cut the mustard then we dont need annual P&R, imo.

Ive seen my club relegated twice. First time nearly killed the club and took two decades to recover from, second time set us back years and we are still trying to recover from it.

Clubs at bottom find it harder to attract the better players due to uncertainty of tenure, other areas like stadiums and jnrs dont get invested in as clubs look for quick fixes to stay up at all costs and clubs that go down often go broke whilst clubs that come up often head back down just as quick.

Tigers1986

Juniors
I did like the licensing system that was used years ago. Would be good to see that reconsidered again.

Maybe expand SL to 16-teams if they can. Toronto back, then the other 4 come from London, Toulouse, Bradford and idk, York?

greenBV4

Bench
I did like the licensing system that was used years ago. Would be good to see that reconsidered again.

Maybe expand SL to 16-teams if they can. Toronto back, then the other 4 come from London, Toulouse, Bradford and idk, York?
What about New York? Is that bid still a thing?

Perth Red

Post Whore

one of the positives of the crap tv deals in uk is they aren’t locked into X amount of teams every season like NRL is due to every game being shown. In theory SL could have an open license approach and add teams as they prove themselves worthy of admission. Of course the SL tv split would be a barrier that would need to find a solution to as clubs won’t be happy seeing their split dwindle each time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Is it majority or unanimous that decides it? Hearing there at least 4 clubs voting for them to be relegated for going bust.

Latest posts