What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our Coaching Structure

TheRam

Coach
Flanagan, Cartwright, Furner are all available. Seem well credentialed for our needs as assistants

I would take all three. God knows BA needs as much help as possible. I'm serious all three would be great additions, with Flanagan eventually taking over and the other two being his assistants if we show great improvement.

Why not? The decision should not be BA's to make. It should just be made. I would try to get at least one of them here right now to see if we can salvage the season somewhat come Semi Final time.

Chipmunk

Coach
There are some significant options available for assistants next year for us to make a change.

If we're going to do it then the end of this season seems the opportune time.

How many Assistants have the Roosters and the Storm had through the place since their current Head Coach has been in place? How many of those haven't gone on to be NRL Head Coaches?

Actually how long has any Assistant spent at either the Storm or the Roosters?

From what I can recall we've had 3 main Assistants the entire time the current Head Coach has been in place.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
I heard a thing about BA today which I found interesting. A mate of mine knows one of his colleagues. He disclosed that BA is a person who lives, breathes, and thinks nothing but footy. And all he talks about is footy. He is a workaholic, which is an honorable trait but constant focus to just one single thing cannot be healthy. Another independent source of mine told me he is a great bloke but sometimes just way too intense who due to his incredible work ethic cannot seem to switch off.

Maybe a guy like this needs more influential assistants that can take some of the burden and expectation from impatient fans like me. It seemed to work with the addition of our new recruitment manager when he took some responsibility away from Arthur. Methinks and I'm only speculating, that maybe he is a bit of a control freak which could be his ultimate undoing. I hope I'm wrong because I'd like to win another premiership before I get dementia.

That work ethic description can be said about 90% of all coaches mate. The difference between the good ones and the rest is their overall abilities as the head coach, not just the monumental hours they spend living and breathing their(passion) job. He seem very one dimensional and a little to basic and he hasn't surrounded himself with quality people to pick up what he himself can't deliver, which is what the successful ones understand about themselves and do.

TheRam

Coach
What might also be insightful, from a coaching standpoint, is Moses' form last year compared to this year.

Per game:
Runs
2019: 5.23
2020: 6.71

Tackle breaks
2019: 1.85
2020: 1

Line breaks
2019: 0.27
2020: 0.21

LBAs
2019: 0.69
2020: 0.29

Try assists
2019: 0.92
2020: 0.36

No one needed actual statistic to know all that. Just watch the game mate. Tells a thousand stories. None good I'm afraid.

strider

Post Whore
I can. Not one of his assistants has ever kicked on to be a first grade coach. Not even mentioned even remotely that they were even targeted by other clubs. Could add weight to the fact that he is a control freak and that an experienced assistant or former first grade coach could expose him like a Portuguese chicken.
Bring back Steve Kearney - educator of future coaches - aka Todd Payton

Its an interesting topic ... agree we seem to have had uninspiring assistants - tho everyone was orgasming over Gentle when he left and the team he went to went ok

How many coaches are considered good creators of other coaches? .... surely Bellamy is the only one - Robinson maybe? ...... of all the current coaches, where did they learn their shit?

Chipmunk

Coach
Someone posted a link to the TCT Tipsheet podcast in another thread. Interestingly enough they interviewed all the assistants 3 years ago on the show. So at the time apparently Murphy was the "Backs" coach and "Gentle" the Forwards. If this is still the same setup (Backs and Forwards coaches, rather than Attack and Defence) then I think this is partly why our coaching setup is all wrong. You either attack or defend as a whole team in the NRL, you don't do things just with the forwards or the backs!, particularly given that edge forwards play mostly with your backs!

Surely this can't still be the case?

Chipmunk

Coach
Bring back Steve Kearney - educator of future coaches - aka Todd Payton

Its an interesting topic ... agree we seem to have had uninspiring assistants - tho everyone was orgasming over Gentle when he left and the team he went to went ok

How many coaches are considered good creators of other coaches? .... surely Bellamy is the only one - Robinson maybe? ...... of all the current coaches, where did they learn their shit?

Seibold is supposed to be a pretty decent assistant also. If Kevvie gets the Broncos gig, Paul Green would be an ideal assistant as well.

Chipmunk

Coach
Flanagan
Cartwright
Furner
Seibold
Kearney
Green/Walters (they both can't get the Broncos so will include as one)
Shepherd

All available it would seem.

Have I missed anyone?

strider

Post Whore
seems there are quite a few assistants who are, i will call it failed, former head coaches ... furner, cartwirght, flanno, barrett (tho he now has a top job), mcfadden, is taylor still assisting anywhere?

That work ethic description can be said about 90% of all coaches mate. The difference between the good ones and the rest is their overall abilities as the head coach, not just the monumental hours they spend living and breathing their(passion) job. He seem very one dimensional and a little to basic and he hasn't surrounded himself with quality people to pick up what he himself can't deliver, which is what the successful ones understand about themselves and do.
Yes I think if the answer as to how to improve always seems to be that we need to work harder then that is a red flag. Coaches don't always tell the truth blah blah blah but that's the impression I get. Also I think BA is actually more honest than most.

Noise

Coach
seems there are quite a few assistants who are, i will call it failed, former head coaches ... furner, cartwirght, flanno, barrett (tho he now has a top job), mcfadden, is taylor still assisting anywhere?
I think Taylor was meant to be coaching Norths (NSW cup) this year. But that obviously didn’t happen.

Tooooks

Bench
I would take all three. God knows BA needs as much help as possible. I'm serious all three would be great additions, with Flanagan eventually taking over and the other two being his assistants if we show great improvement.

Why not? The decision should not be BA's to make. It should just be made. I would try to get at least one of them here right now to see if we can salvage the season somewhat come Semi Final time.

Agreed. If coaches aren’t part of the salary cap, surely hiring the best available is a massive advantage.

Eelectrica

Referee
Sign up Eddie Murphy as our attacking coach. Didn't be worse than the current Murphy we've got as attacking coach.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
No one needed actual statistic to know all that. Just watch the game mate. Tells a thousand stories. None good I'm afraid.
My point is that Moses is badly out of form, and I don't think it has anything to do with coaching. The difference between last year and this year isn't coaching, it is injury.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agreed. If coaches aren’t part of the salary cap, surely hiring the best available is a massive advantage.
Apparently there is a salary cap, but like the salary cap for players, it seems to stretch further for some clubs than others.