What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
In my opinion, I can't fault Dylan Brown's application to the game; they say defence is about technique, and attitude, and I believe he is one of the best (if not the best) defensive halves going around - which shows me that he trains pretty well.

But I've always liked the kid - he always had "star" written all over him.

I think you guys have missed the point a little. I am not suggesting that any of our players aren't good hard trainers. I think that they all do what is asked of them with Gutho leading the way and D. Brown not far behind him as has been reported.

What I am talking about is specific playmaking extra training. That teaches them and all the players around them how to run certain plays for the types of halves that they are. We are obviously not doing this or doing it very badly. Whoever is in charge of this aspect of their game, if anyone, hasn't been able to make an impression at all.

You just have to watch any game this season, even the first 10 rounds when we were playing well to see that they are off the mark when it comes to combinations and working towards deliberately isolating a particular weak player or area of a team and exploiting him or it properly.

We are just throwing the ball around and hope that we will find a way through. That is not what you would see if the halves were training with the back rowers and centres in particular on different defensive patterns that present different attacking structures and how to come at them.

When we are in the good ball part of the field now, no one has a clue. They are just shifting the ball from one side of the field to the other and hoping someone does something great or that the opposition stuff up. That is not quality game awareness or tactics from a team who knows what to do. We need someone like Matty Johns who is well versed in multiple game structures and player types to repeatedly drill into these kids over and over and over again how to break a game down and make it simple for them.

I don't believe we have the right people if anyone there at the moment that is doing this with our players. If we did we wouldn't be playing like we are now. If we did with the team we have now, I believe we would be leading the comp and well and truly on our way to being a formidable threat and premiership glory. Not a team that is about to go out the back door in straight sets.

Eelementary

Post Whore
I think you guys have missed the point a little. I am not suggesting that any of our players aren't good hard trainers. I think that they all do what is asked of them with Gutho leading the way and D. Brown not far behind him as has been reported.

What I am talking about is specific playmaking extra training. That teaches them and all the players around them how to run certain plays for the types of halves that they are. We are obviously not doing this or doing it very badly. Whoever is in charge of this aspect of their game, if anyone, hasn't been able to make an impression at all.

You just have to watch any game this season, even the first 10 rounds when we were playing well to see that they are off the mark when it comes to combinations and working towards deliberately isolating a particular weak player or area of a team and exploiting him or it properly.

We are just throwing the ball around and hope that we will find a way through. That is not what you would see if the halves were training with the back rowers and centres in particular on different defensive patterns that present different attacking structures and how to come at them.

When we are in the good ball part of the field now, no one has a clue. They are just shifting the ball from one side of the field to the other and hoping someone does something great or that the opposition stuff up. That is not quality game awareness or tactics from a team who knows what to do. We need someone like Matty Johns who is well versed in multiple game structures and player types to repeatedly drill into these kids over and over and over again how to break a game down and make it simple for them.

I don't believe we have the right people if anyone there at the moment that is doing this with our players. If we did we wouldn't be playing like we are now. If we did with the team we have now, I believe we would be leading the comp and well and truly on our way to being a formidable threat and premiership glory. Not a team that is about to go out the back door in straight sets.

Yeah, fair call.

TheRam

Coach
his chase in the storms final and run against Souths (With a stuffed Ankle) shows his determination and attitude ..... it’s as good as it gets

No one is questioning this mate. I am talking about tuition and development. The best teaches develop the highest amount of quality students.

I don't believe we have the best teaches.

TheRam

Coach
The player doesn't have to be a better player than Moses, they just have to be a better option than Moses on helping develop Drown and Mahoney to be the players they need to be in 4 years time. A better option has to take into account more than individual ability of the players because we don't need most of Moses individual abilities if you're prepared to wait 4 years. We will have to let him go at the end of his contract anyway.

Wouldn't the simpler and better option be to keep both and bring in the best possible assistant coach that can bring the best out of both of them. After all there are a hell of a lot of great teachers compared to great current halves around and much cheaper right?

We just have to identify one and get him here.

Chipmunk

Coach

The discussion was with one other poster around waiting 4 years. If we're waiting 4 years then we need to have different priorities for the squad for the next 3 years.

I wasn't advocating waiting 4 years, but was providing my view if that was to be the plan.

TheRam

Coach
Blake Green....

Yeah well it took him leaving our shores and playing alongside and against Pommy players who play old school footy to learn and develop his game to an acceptable level to be able to come back and play at NRL standard.

Sorry we don't have any old style Pommy teaches at our club.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You're correct as as we've seen over the years BA doesn't like change except for the coaching staff apparently. This year we're the fittest we've ever been and the Panthers game highlights that.

If I was the coach I'd be looking for a fullback with elite speed and move Gutho to centre to replace Waqa until he learns how to defend. In attack Gutho can float around becoming another halfback which will enhance our attack imo. A new attacking and defensive coach might help also. That's the only changes I'd make.
Dylan Brown could play fullback with Gutherson at 7.

Chipmunk

Coach
Dylan Brown could play fullback with Gutherson at 7.

That still doesn't fix the enormous liability that Waqa Blake is in defence. Particularly given that we appear to have spent a significant amount of time on it all season at training and he is actually getting worse.

Maybe he can play fullback.

Last edited:

emjaycee

Coach
The discussion was with one other poster around waiting 4 years. If we're waiting 4 years then we need to have different priorities for the squad for the next 3 years.

I wasn't advocating waiting 4 years, but was providing my view if that was to be the plan.
Cool, I came in late and wasn't sure why you were advocating 4 years...

Gronk

Staff member
That would be the 7th immortal, Andrew Johns ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's why souths said that they knew what we were going to do and it was like a training drill against us
Survivor bias.

Every team knows what we are going to do but the rest don't flap their gums because they scored f**k all against us. In fact most lost.

The reason Souths were able to capitalise is because our effort was down and we didn't push from the inside. Penrith had all the ball and only scored one try against our weak edge because we scrambled well, allowing our right edge defenders to jam and force errors.

TheRam

Coach
That would be the 7th immortal, Andrew Johns ?

Well he has been useless up to date. Yeah I know COVID-19 and behind a fence coaching.

To bad. It's a results driven business. Other teams have had to deal with the same sh*t and yet we have the worst and I meant worst attack in the NRL at present. Changes need to be made.

Latest posts