What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1995 expansion... now!

Which 4 Areas of growth should NRL expand to

• Auckland (Pacifika team)

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • New Zealand (Wellington)

Votes: 8 30.8%
  • New Zealand (South Island)

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Morton bay (Dophins)

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Sunshine Coast

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Cairns

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brisbane West (ipswich)

Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Brisbane (Suncorp rival)

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • Perth

Votes: 22 84.6%
  • Adelaide

Votes: 13 50.0%
  • Central Coast

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Melbourne (rival)

• Darwin

• Central Queenland

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • New South Wales Country

• Papua New Guinea

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Fiji

• Hobart

• Sydney no.9 (e.g norths or newtown)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perth Red

Post Whore
Interestingly the covid scenario has been a wake up call to the mines here and they now realise how exposed they are having such a large contingent of fly in fly out employees interstate. They are saying they will in the future insist that employees live in WA. I can see another pop boom in next 5 years like we had in 2012, they are predicting 8000 plus mining jobs needed in next 12 months with a variety of large start up projects on the cards. This has a significant economic knock on effect into all areas of business in WA and like 2012 creates significant job growth. At a time of global recession I can see people flocking to WA, sadly I have to say as our infrastructure is only just catching up to the 2012 boom!

http://diazhub.com/australia/mining...-and-will-offer-generous-relocation-packages/

Perth Red

Post Whore
aren't those graphs WA vs QLD? which would be differernt to Perth vs Brisbane

but either way happy to be wrong, they are close enough to be essentially the same

They're both, Line A and B are for the greater metro areas. No point looking at more than ten-twenty years growth projections, especially in a mining city.

Perth Red

Post Whore
1. Redcliffe Dolphins - 10 redeveloped Dolphin Oval 22k, 2 Suncorp
2. Brisbane FireHawks - 12 Suncorp
3. Central Coast Bears - 10 Gosford, 2 NSO
4. West Coast Pirates - 12 NIB

No chance NSW is getting an 11th club, unless Vlad the short sighted is still in charge, then its quite probable lol.

MugaB

Coach
Which location is best for NZ 2?

I'd love to see 17th Bris 2, 18th NZ 2, 19th Bris 3 20th NZ 3.
Has to be Auckland, you want to do the same thing as Suncorp and have a local derby, aswell as play there every week opposed to once a fortnight

TBH personally not a fan of that, would just cannibalise the Warriors support.
Hence the reason to boost a rivalary within NZ to be either a Warrior or a South Pacific Cyclone fan, cannibalism of support in a whole country of New Zealanders of just shy of 5 million, that's a stretch, even Auckland is around 1.6million, 2 teams there one with pathways set up for the NZ juniors, the other junior pathways from Fiji, Tonga, Samoa, Cook Island's etc

Last edited:

MugaB

Coach
If money was no object:

Brisbane2
Perth
NZ2
PNG
Adelaide (Manly relocation)

We need Newcastle to take on Gosford more, Roosters to take on North Shore, Manly to Adelaide.

Would sort the NRL out for the next 40 years.

PNG is the wildcard but whilst AFL is pushing to be the national game in Australia we should be pushing to be seen as the footy code of the Pacific region and including PNG, for all its challenges, is something AFL could never compete with.
This i agree with wholeheartedly, this is why i think a rival NZ2 team that has juniors steaming from all pacific Islands, will dominate in north Island for rugby league, also once a Perth and PNG team ever eventuates automatically can say we are not only National as well as more Pacific in representation, ALF cannot compete with that.

MugaB

Coach
You make some good points. I just think Manly could better represent northern Sydney. Maybe the NRL should make them change their name to North Sydney Sea Eagles and change their kit to red and black. That way Norths and Manly are represented equally and the club can build its fan base. It's the only way I can see the NSW Government building a new stadium north of the harbour.
Easier to slap a "NORTH" on the Sydney Roosters and not bother fixing moore park, but build a northern suburbs stadium in an area both central distance to either warringah and the north shore, maybe somewhere like Northbridge Oval which is East of Artamon, North of Cammeray (NSO) and west of Manly.
Then you can have both sea eagles and roosters be based in northern Sydney as a derby sharing the same stadium, and both clubs could take a few games to gosford, aswell the knights too, giving around 3-5 games to gosford, and representing northern sydney properly without one team no one can agree with being based there
Roosters are already navy red and white, make the NAVY even darker, and can wear a special bears style jersey every once in a while
20200913_083744.jpg
P.s. cheers to BB for creating that alternate bears jersey, its a great throwback to a unique design, all i did was add logos and navy the black a bit, to it to use an example of a one off homage to norths, if roosters would ever take over the area in partnership with their junior link with the bears

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
1. Brisbane 2 - Something like Firehawks to make a simple North/South divide with the Broncos.
2. Perth - All been said 1000 times.
3. NZ 2 - Still on ghe fence with this one, if the Warriors get it together finally a 2nd Auckland side with links to Tonga & Samoa might br worth a look. Christchurch or Wellington decent options as well.
4. Adelaide - Tentatively. Wouldn't be upset if this was SEQ 4 (Sunshine Coast, Ipswich or Brisbane 3), NZ 3 or even PNG if they could find a way to make it sustainable.

I think you're on the right track there.

The original post asked to pick 4 teams *if* 1995 expansion V2.0 was to happen - 4 clubs all at once.

I can't think of any sports league off the top of my head that's introduced two expansion teams in one metropolitan area at the same time. It's risky to strain a market with two new clubs at the same time - and for that reason, Brisbane 3 doesn't make my cut for that grand expansion scenario.

Perth, Brisbane 2, Adelaide, NZ 2 are the clear choices IMO. Setting my Wellington bias aside, the choice for NZ2 would be Christchurch - 2nd biggest city, north/south rivalry AND the prospect of a new inner-city *covered* rectangular stadium makes it a no-brainer for me.

flippikat

Bench

MugaB

Coach
the last heartland Expansion club went bust within a few years. There are no certainties in life.
Im assuming the you mean the South Qld crushers, they were cast aside due to broncos demands on wanting to be a one team city, selfish stuff, imagine both Perth and Adelaide had their teams still, probably would have had aus covered by now

MugaB

Coach
Going off the current poll counts looks like most of the folks who voted went for=
*Brisbane (Suncorp Rival)
*Perth
*Adelaide
*NZ 2(South Is. probably Christchurch)
Pretty good spread of locales
I'd be happy to see all of these make it one day

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im assuming the you mean the South Qld crushers, they were cast aside due to broncos demands on wanting to be a one team city, selfish stuff, imagine both Perth and Adelaide had their teams still, probably would have had aus covered by now

no, I mean the GC Titans.