What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

qld redvee

Juniors
He made an interesting comment on NRL360, he said you dont necessarily look at the list of players who’s contracts are up. Deals can be done irrespective, I suppose look at the Saab situation. These days contracts mean nothing which is sad when you consider not that long ago it was not uncommon for agreements to be done on a handshake and there was never any thought of breaking that agreement.
SAP58,
Heard that comment also and thought okay griffin will identify players / positions he needs to strengthen and then willing to negotiate with a team for a release , with salary cap being reduced ? may just mean a team wants to offload a certain player - and also no cc cup this year could work in our favour also

Mjab

Juniors
John Asiata from cowboys in previous life was a 5/8th so I heard. Are we chasing him.
it’s possible we might not be that active in the player market this year. Hook doesn’t officially start until November. We might roll into 2021 with plenty of room in the cap. Hook will have to get more out the players we already. I’d rather we wait than pay overs for more deadwood.
Agree
Maybe a year blooding juniors and a new mindset and game plan for senior players will be a big win
then decide what extras we need From the market

I don’t have massive expectations on next year
Our club has been utter shit for nearly a decade

a clean out, junior progression and and an improved style of play is a good enough outcome . A competitive team hopefully make the eight and I’ll be ecstatic

LINESPEED

Juniors
SAP58,
Heard that comment also and thought okay griffin will identify players / positions he needs to strengthen and then willing to negotiate with a team for a release , with salary cap being reduced ? may just mean a team wants to offload a certain player - and also no cc cup this year could work in our favour also

Josh at 30 is certainly the right age for an enforcer.
A very Bennett-like move IMO:

“There's whispers around the game that he'd really like Josh McGuire to be there because Anthony Griffin's idea is to really toughen up the middle part of the St George team, he's looking for middles," Weidler told Nine's 100% Footy.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa7cc7d01-c8e0-4e7d-b5a0-14f177d5e9a8

Josh McGuire (Getty)
"I know he's been a fan of Josh's."

NRL guru Phil Gould, who worked alongside Griffin at the Panthers, believed the move was a likely scenario.

"They're both from Rockhampton. They know each other pretty well. I can well understand that."

Weidler also revealed Griffin has set about a cleanout in the coaching ranks, with assistant coach Dean Young considering a move up north.”

LINESPEED

Juniors
I would much prefer a fullback with a bigger body who will at least have a go at tackling the opposition players and holding the ball up over the try line where possible, hopefully if Garrick comes back we give him a go unless Ramsey can bulk up in the off season.

I think gravity often gets the better of Duff, but maybe Griff can complement his game.

There have been some champion lightweight fullbacks over the years whose running prowess compensated for the size factor in goaline defence.

Garrick could be a short term solution, but he doesn’t seem to be coming?:

upload_2020-9-15_8-33-28.jpeg
I’d’ve taken the money option for
Saab - who surely needed a new manager

Last edited:

SAP58

Juniors
Josh at 30 is certainly the right age for an enforcer.
A very Bennett-like move IMO:

“There's whispers around the game that he'd really like Josh McGuire to be there because Anthony Griffin's idea is to really toughen up the middle part of the St George team, he's looking for middles," Weidler told Nine's 100% Footy.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2Fa7cc7d01-c8e0-4e7d-b5a0-14f177d5e9a8

Josh McGuire (Getty)
"I know he's been a fan of Josh's."

NRL guru Phil Gould, who worked alongside Griffin at the Panthers, believed the move was a likely scenario.

"They're both from Rockhampton. They know each other pretty well. I can well understand that."

Weidler also revealed Griffin has set about a cleanout in the coaching ranks, with assistant coach Dean Young considering a move up north.”
Gee thought he was older than 30. Bit of a grub but maybe that’s what we need ?

LINESPEED

Juniors
Agree prob what we need but I have always viewed him as one on the biggest grubs in the game and so Im not sure what to think if he comes , I normally hate the guy

Yeah I thought the same about James, who never quite delivered.
Josh may well
- & he has 8 Australian Test caps up to 2018,

and has great utility forward value.

Just have to trust Griff’s judgment I guess

The way we were monstered Sat?
...I think enforcer fits the bill

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
McGuire would be good get if it's a 2yr deal at not big $$. We need an enforcer however, McGuires tendencies to go overboard is the only concern.

Funny how this 1 rumoured signing could habe major impact on our forwards next year.

McGuire and Vaughan as props
JDB, if he is successful
A fully fit and firing Tariq
A young gun like Host or Ford on the other edge
I'd even go as far as Korbin making an impact if fully fit.
Kerr with another pre-season build up.

We suddenly have a whole different look, a better look.

LINESPEED

Juniors
McGuire would be good get if it's a 2yr deal at not big $$. We need an enforcer however, McGuires tendencies to go overboard is the only concern.

Funny how this 1 rumoured signing could habe major impact on our forwards next year.

McGuire and Vaughan as props
JDB, if he is successful
A fully fit and firing Tariq
A young gun like Host or Ford on the other edge
I'd even go as far as Korbin making an impact if fully fit.
Kerr with another pre-season build up.

We suddenly have a whole different look, a better look.

Agree

Maybe another hard nut?
Blacker should get a run Sunday - just to see what he’s got.

Shame we lost an offloader & linebreaker in Luch

I like Hook’s philosophy of looking from within too -

...as that’s the bedrock of culture

Last edited:

jeffdragon

Bench
He's the kind of player you hate ...unless he plays for the team you support I'd take him in a heartbeat in Griffin we trust.

I would be surprised if he left Queensland though.
A lot like James Graham.
Didn't like him when he was with the dogs then came to us.

possm

Coach
He made an interesting comment on NRL360, he said you dont necessarily look at the list of players who’s contracts are up. Deals can be done irrespective, I suppose look at the Saab situation. These days contracts mean nothing which is sad when you consider not that long ago it was not uncommon for agreements to be done on a handshake and there was never any thought of breaking that agreement.
It is necessary that both parties are happy with a swap situation. You can be sure that Garrick would not be returning to the Dragons if Mary was still in charge.

possm

Coach
Yes it is sad, agree SAP 58 pre player managers days, how good was that!

I also noticed the language Griffin used when responding to the recruitment question. I have a feeling that with factors such as: reduce salary cap, many clubs swapping coaches and finalising player lists as well as no CC and possible player restlessness, that they may feel there could be a fair bit of player movement post 2020 season.

The other factor is that there really aren't that many great opportunities currently on the market, and they might feel that once the dust settles on this season, things could heat up and opportunities then present themselves. They'd also know the De Belin situation by then which would impact decision making. I'm pretty sure they'd know what they need and you certainly don't have to be a Rhodes scholar to work out Saints are light up front and lack some quality forwards. Wouldn't be surprised if he (Griffith) didn't know of a couple of players that he could bring over prior to accepting the role, but maybe the timings not right. Could be wrong....
Very few clubs will be letting their best go to another club. Off-contract players and players performing below their salary level will be the first to go.

Hasler must think that Saab has more potential than Garrick and because of this, Manly has offered him more money to play with them. All the rest is BS.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Similar to a Weyman. Hated him at the Raiders, but woulda let him boof my sister when he became a Saint. Although there's a lot more grub than hard man about McGuire imo.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Similar to a Weyman. Hated him at the Raiders, but woulda let him boof my sister when he became a Saint. Although there's a lot more grub than hard man about McGuire imo.
Weyman is different, he had a fair few penalties but was always a super nice bloke. He made a tonne of metres though, McGuire is more a forward leader like JWH at the Roosters that doesn't take a backwards step. I think me may be the right man for the right time. He will definitely give the younger guys a bit more confidence and wont let teams bully us.

I think gravity often gets the better of Duff, but maybe Griff can complement his game.

There have been some champion lightweight fullbacks over the years whose running prowess compensated for the size factor in goaline defence.

Garrick could be a short term solution, but he doesn’t seem to be coming?:

View attachment 41991
I’d’ve taken the money option for
Saab - who surely needed a new manager
What is the consensus with Dufty? Does he have more strengths than weaknesses, or vice versa. Just wondering.

BLM01

First Grade
There are grubs and then there is McGuire. Don’t want him but we certainly need someone like him without the eye gouging to harden the place up.
Lawrie is a waste of space.
I don’t get this hate for Lawrie
he still only young for a prop and he’s one of our hardest runners at the line in our team with little McInnes
he still got time to build up even bigger and yes his goal line defence needs work But he plays good minutes and he’s got time to develop that being in a poor defensive structure that he is not alone as being the only problem
He will learn of Hook and I predict he will be our best prop in a year or so with some attack tweaking
young bloke with a bit of ticker more than many

Latest posts