What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Resting Issue

This topic causes a bit of debate as the opinions can be varied.
I personally think We do need to rest a few players this week or the next. I think this week is the better option.
My choices:
1 - Duges. As documented after the other night, he looked like he was playing well within himself. I stand by my thoughts that I think they needed him to play as Chad and Wade were out and in a game we had to win the team needed his seniority and experience.
Solution: Ferris is available again, give him another run.

2 - BHU. He too looks like he is playing within himself. Nowhere near as destructive as he had been earlier in the season.
Solution: I can only see that if they bring Sorenson back in and have Williams, Fafita, Woods, Rudolf, Teig and Talakai. May need another bench spot filled.

3 - Brailey. This one is very hard to do because there is no ready made replacement. The kid has done remarkably well this year, and been very good on top of it. He is starting to get tired and worn out though. He gave away numerous restarts because he wasn't marking up square, he also gave away that "downtown" penalty by not getting back onside quick enough. All signs of fatigue.
Soultion- no real one, which is a big problem, although it is the same problem that we'd have if he goes down injured. If Chad was playing we could use him,or Traecey, maybe Trindall. Dunno but the kid needs a break IMO of course.

Eion

First Grade
Yeah an interesting one. Anyone who needs it would be my answer.

I would have said Wadeo but the judiciary saw to that.

Otherwise, BHU screams at being injured / tired. He is not playing up to his standard.

But if anyone has a niggle (esp SJ) then it’s rest time.

Chimp

Bench
Pretty much agree with all of that - let’s be honest, we’re unlikely to snag a win against the Roosters anyway, and even if we do, it doesn’t change where we’ll finish on the ladder.

There’s an arguement about hitting the finals with some form and momentum, but in all honesty, we’re not consistent enough for that to be a thing for us anyway.

I believe we can beat any team in the comp if we play to our best, and they’re slightly off - but if Roosters, Storm or Panthers are ‘on’, even our best won’t beat them. So might aswell rest players for the next couple of weeks, hit the finals with a fit squad and hope we can do some damage. Can play a bit of siege mentality with the squad too - spend the next 3 weeks getting them fired up and ready to go all out war in the finals. Leave nothing in the tank.

chewsta

First Grade
Trindall would make a crafty little D/H with a bit of practice. Defends well and hits like a truck. Has all the skills and most important is a natural footy player.
The only problem is he probably has not trained there at all so bomber would be throwing him in the deep end with no combinations or knowledge of different plays etc.

Pretty much agree with all of that - let’s be honest, we’re unlikely to snag a win against the Roosters anyway, and even if we do, it doesn’t change where we’ll finish on the ladder.

There’s an arguement about hitting the finals with some form and momentum, but in all honesty, we’re not consistent enough for that to be a thing for us anyway.

I believe we can beat any team in the comp if we play to our best, and they’re slightly off - but if Roosters, Storm or Panthers are ‘on’, even our best won’t beat them. So might aswell rest players for the next couple of weeks, hit the finals with a fit squad and hope we can do some damage. Can play a bit of siege mentality with the squad too - spend the next 3 weeks getting them fired up and ready to go all out war in the finals. Leave nothing in the tank.
Great points. The siege mentality is an angle I hadn't thought of. It could jag us one, maybe two, games in the finals

Craigshark

First Grade
there’s arguments for resting players and trying to go in with momentum but I agree I think the right thing to do would be rest a few considering the position we are in and everything taken in to account.

for Brailey, I’d give Sorensen a shot at 9 for at least the first 20-30 minutes and then throw trindall or whoever in. Uele definitely needs a rest, he was really blowing them against the knights. If woods finger isn’t exactly right I’d give him a week or two off too. If Johnson’s hamstring isn’t 100% get that right too.

there’s a good chance we will play either parra or the raiders first week. If we’re on with a fit squad, we can give them a good run for their money. I’d almost be confident in beating Parra.

No to resting unless player has a major injury to get over.

We need to work on defence with these last two games against quality sides.

We certainly don’t need two 50+ pumping defeats going into Week 1 of the finals by using more State Cup players.

Resting is for great teams to do because they’ve got their shyte in order and don’t need to work on anything.

We need more practise time against quality opposition not rest.

Frailty

First Grade
We've had enough changes in our team this year without forcing 'rest'.

If there are injuries, sure take the time to get right, but otherwise the season is essentially three more weeks.

bluefox68

Staff member
Trindall would make a crafty little D/H with a bit of practice. Defends well and hits like a truck. Has all the skills and most important is a natural footy player.
The only problem is he probably has not trained there at all so bomber would be throwing him in the deep end with no combinations or knowledge of different plays etc.
Yes - great idea!

It seems to me that Connor Tracey is best at 6...

That would give us:

6. Tracey
7. SJ
9. Brails

14. Trindall

No to resting unless player has a major injury to get over.

We need to work on defence with these last two games against quality sides.

We certainly don’t need two 50+ pumping defeats going into Week 1 of the finals by using more State Cup players.

Resting is for great teams to do because they’ve got their shyte in order and don’t need to work on anything.

We need more practise time against quality opposition not rest.
Thats a different take on it.
Every person in the squad works on defensive drills, not just the ones picked for the game. And at anytime someone playing can go down injured and one of the reserves has to be in there and know the defensive structures, and be practiced up.
If every single player isn't up to speed on any new defensive issues, and cannot step straight in to the team, well then we don't deserve to be there at all.
A whole new competition starts in two weeks, we need to win four straight then no matter what, and that is guaranteed not to happen if the players are not clear in the mind and body.
It doesn't matter whether we win or lose the next two games, our predicament is exactly the same. Playing them a bit busted now lessens our chances.

shaggs

Coach
Are the sharks the nrl version of the clippers. Just doing enough until it matters???

R-15-3

Bench
I’m 100% for resting as many as we can, not like they are going to lose confidence, timing etc as we don’t have any of that anyway. Duges legs look like he has run a marathon before kick off, a few going through momentum etc etc. Only player I want to play is Fifita and lots of minutes, if we can’t get him on the field and at a big improvement then we don’t stand a chance if we do at all.

Thats a different take on it.
Every person in the squad works on defensive drills, not just the ones picked for the game. And at anytime someone playing can go down injured and one of the reserves has to be in there and know the defensive structures, and be practiced up.
If every single player isn't up to speed on any new defensive issues, and cannot step straight in to the team, well then we don't deserve to be there at all.
A whole new competition starts in two weeks, we need to win four straight then no matter what, and that is guaranteed not to happen if the players are not clear in the mind and body.
It doesn't matter whether we win or lose the next two games, our predicament is exactly the same. Playing them a bit busted now lessens our chances.

Like I said if a player has a serious injury that needs rehabilitation so they can compete at 100% in Week 1 of the finals fair enough.

But this team needs to get closer to the top teams in defence and that’s not going to be best done resting a few players with some aches. It’s about applying what hopefully is being taught to them on match day up against two of the better teams in the comp in the Roosters and Raiders and see if what’s being taught is being executed right and effective. Everyone is a champion in training but they don’t have a Luke Keary or Jack Wighton to practise against.

Having said that I think we’re the 8th best team in this comp and that’s the way we will finish after Week 1 of the finals.

Like I said if a player has a serious injury that needs rehabilitation so they can compete at 100% in Week 1 of the finals fair enough.

But this team needs to get closer to the top teams in defence and that’s not going to be best done resting a few players with some aches. It’s about applying what hopefully is being taught to them on match day up against two of the better teams in the comp in the Roosters and Raiders and see if what’s being taught is being executed right and effective. Everyone is a champion in training but they don’t have a Luke Keary or Jack Wighton to practise against.

Having said that I think we’re the 8th best team in this comp and that’s the way we will finish after Week 1 of the finals.
Well unless there are late changes they arent resting anyone this week.
I doubt our defensive isues, which have been there all season, are going to be fixed by this weekend.
We deserve 8th spot, no doubt, I'm living in hope that something changes.
Imagine how sick it would make the other teams supporters feel if we got through, meltdown overboard.

Well unless there are late changes they arent resting anyone this week.
I doubt our defensive isues, which have been there all season, are going to be fixed by this weekend.
We deserve 8th spot, no doubt, I'm living in hope that something changes.
Imagine how sick it would make the other teams supporters feel if we got through, meltdown overboard.

Haha I would love to see us win Week 1 of the finals especially for the meltdowns.

Was just thinking it’s not inconceivable for the Eels to drop a game against the Donkeys or Tigers and the Raiders to take their spot in the top 4 and the Eels to slump to 5th spot.

Now that’s a matchup I would like to see for us.

shadowboxer

First Grade
Valid points on both sides of argument, but I wouldn’t be resting anyone.
Three games left, three potential beatings. The sum of which will be six months of hurt to think about for next year.
Then again the manly semis debacle last year appears to have been forgotten before they even go back over the spit bridge