What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Young

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I do feel sorry for Young.

He’s got a bunch of haters out there, purely because he came under Mary’s wing.

Which means no matter which option he chooses, he’ll be lambasted.

Gets the first grade gig ongoing? Another old boys job. Only got it because of the Illawarra Mafia & his dad on the board.

Doesn’t apply for the first grade gig? Not up for it, waste of space putting him in for the remainder of this year, costing new blood their spot in the team.

Looks for a job elsewhere? Sour grapes. (despite the fact the haters were also saying he needs to get outside experience)

Sticks around to be assistant? Will just be whiteanting Griffin & blamed for any 2021 f**kups.

LINESPEED

Juniors

Gets the first grade gig ongoing? Another old boys job. Only got it because of the Illawarra Mafia & his dad on the board.

Doesn’t apply for the first grade gig? Not up for it, waste of space putting him in for the remainder of this year, costing new blood their spot in the team.

Looks for a job elsewhere? Sour grapes. (despite the fact the haters were also saying he needs to get outside experience)

Sticks around to be assistant? Will just be whiteanting Griffin & blamed for any 2021 f**kups.

upload_2020-9-15_7-26-49.jpeg
Todd certainly outdid Deano in the Interim stakes.

Perhaps a more experienced mentor was the go?

But could be the only gig available.

After the last 6 soul-destroying yrs under The Waterboy I’d say for mental health reasons alone fleeing the asylum was mandatory for everyone

Good R&R for Deano

BLM01

First Grade
Very left field!! Can’t see him leaving Wigan Warriors to become an assistant at Saints though
Wants to come home... yeh sure he’d prefer a top job ... but there is only 16 and this year lthe Likely sackings of coaches already have happened

denis preston

First Grade

Dont agree. I think most here wants him to get experience in another system and a complete clean out is required by the club to remove all of McFlops DNA from the joint. He can talk the talk but doesn't have the experience to KNOW how to walk the walk. We all wish him luck with another club because it suits us and it is definitely the best for his career.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George-Illawarra interim coach Dean Young poised to leave Dragons: report

After being turned down for the Dragons top job interim Saints coach Dean Young is poised to quit the club.

St George-Illawarra recently appointed former Penrith and Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin as its coach next year leaving the club great out in the cold.

Young is now tipped to join incoming North Queensland coach Todd Payten's staff as an assistant, according to News Corp.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F96605dfc-0470-46fe-9805-7927d0d7e348

New Dragons coach Anthony Griffin. (Getty)
The assistant coach has been linked to NRL rivals Wests Tigers, Newcastle and the Warriors but is still officially under contract with the Dragons. It's said the Knights and Cowboys are favourites to sign the 2010 premiership hero.

Young was an assistant coach under Paul McGregor before being named interim coach, and he has another year remaining on his current Dragons contract.

It's understood St George wanted to keep Young around and groom him as a possible successor to Griffin.

Young and Griffin have a close relationship and the club would ideally like to see him stay for the remainder of his deal but won't stand in his way if he lands a job elsewhere.

Young's father Craig is a club director.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-ne...-dragons/4f7efcf9-b019-4c89-a522-7ea4361c19a0

SaintPeter

Juniors
How good is our new CEO going!! :
Punt Mary and don't pay out the full contract value for next year, tick
Appoint a new coach who has no old boy connections, tick
Clear out all the ex players involved with the running of the football team, tick
....... and,,, he's only been there five minutes!

Old Timer

Coach
If DY is kicking rocks due to his non appointment as HC then he doesn't deserve to be an assistant under Griffin.

If he really thinks his time is now to be a HC surely he must ask himself why he didn't get interviewed by the Warriors, Cowboys, Dogs.

If he can't realise the current situation our club finds itself in requires a person with a proven track record to drag it out of the quick sand then he is brain dead.

The only reason why people should feel sorry for DY is for the fact that he has delusional thoughts re his coaching ability and that he should have had a better sense of reality.

If anyone of note at the club is responsible for subliminally planting those thoughts in his head or worse still actively agitating such thoughts then said person / persons should be exited asap.

Gareth67

First Grade
If DY is kicking rocks due to his non appointment as HC then he doesn't deserve to be an assistant under Griffin.

If he really thinks his time is now to be a HC surely he must ask himself why he didn't get interviewed by the Warriors, Cowboys, Dogs.

If he can't realise the current situation our club finds itself in requires a person with a proven track record to drag it out of the quick sand then he is brain dead.

The only reason why people should feel sorry for DY is for the fact that he has delusional thoughts re his coaching ability and that he should have had a better sense of reality.

If anyone of note at the club is responsible for subliminally planting those thoughts in his head or worse still actively agitating such thoughts then said person / persons should be exited asap.

See ya Craig !

possm

Coach
View attachment 41990
Todd certainly outdid Deano in the Interim stakes.

Perhaps a more experienced mentor was the go?

But could be the only gig available.

After the last 6 soul-destroying yrs under The Waterboy I’d say for mental health reasons alone fleeing the asylum was mandatory for everyone

Good R&R for Deano
Will it be a package deal with Craig Young and Peter Doust joining the Cowboys Board as well.

Mjab

Juniors
Clear out all the ex players involved with the running of the football team, tick
I agree whole heartedly

I did read in a pro Mary article a few weeks back though that Saints actually paid Mary more than they technically needed to as golden handshake sort of thing for his years of loyal "service" and it really pissed me off when I heard that
However
If they did get a good deal to rid him I feel much happier

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Will it be a package deal with Craig Young and Peter Doust joining the Cowboys Board as well.
Yes.

Football club boards regularly re-adjust their make up when they hire assistant coaches.

Maddragon99

Juniors

Yes I agree I was thinking the same. We are starting to head in the right direction. If Deano ends up coming back at some point in the future he’ll be a much better coach for the experience.

I’m also starting to warm to the idea of Josh McGuire, we desperately need some toughness in our pack & Josh wouldn’t break the bank either

Old Timer

Coach
Interesting how some people use the terminology "he can come back" in respect of the situation that DY leaves the club.

The correct and professional approach is he can't just come back however just like any other potential candidate he can apply for any positions that are vacant.

No fear or favour just a proper assessment of his achievements and credentials as to whether he is a suitable appointment.

Time to toughen up in respect of all things St GI.