What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

beave

Coach
Awesome.
You now only need a 60k stadium to host the Olympics. Brisbane are a decent chance to get the games in 2032. The Brisbane Olympic bid and the words ‘stadium legacy’ were mentioned by the AFL when they announced the Gabba GF so I fear we may have another Homebush on our hands come 2033.
Will be very interest to see how that all pans out.

where is this 60k for the olympics coming from mate?

greenBV4

Bench
There is no reason Queensland could not host the games.

Not one City, the state.
I think countries should start hosting the games
Then let the cities bid for individual events
Would get people travelling around the whole country and governments putting money into cross-country transport (in our case this is sorely needed)

Jamberoo

Juniors
could they increase the capacity of Suncorp to 60k?
More likely that Suncorp could be updated rather than rebuilt. Athletics is the big ticket they will want that to be the main stadium. Reckon they will rebuild the Gabba to 60k.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
More likely that Suncorp could be updated rather than rebuilt. Athletics is the big ticket they will want that to be the main stadium. Reckon they will rebuild the Gabba to 60k.

Not sure if you’ve been there but the stands are overhanging the roads to north and south and encroach very closely to other buildings on the north western side and the state school to the east, I honestly don’t think it could be expanded in size at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Not sure if you’ve been there but the stands are overhanging the roads to north and south and encroach very closely to other buildings on the north western side and the state school to the east, I honestly don’t think it could be expanded in size at all.

Not to mention the astronomical cost for just 6-10k extra seats and the fact that they want the big stadium for athletics which is where they sell the most seats.

Suitman

Post Whore

Yep. The Gabba is hemmed in. No chance of increasing capacity to 60 000.

mongoose

Coach
They will probably just build a new oval mega stadium where QEII is or right on the Lions doorstep in Springfield or wherever the f**k their base is. AFL will win out of it, NRL will lose. You can better your bottom dollar on it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yep. The Gabba is hemmed in. No chance of increasing capacity to 60 000.

You could probably put a third tier on the road side half of the stadium without increasing the footprint. The other half of stadium has apartments and school next to it so unlikely they would be impressed if they tried to build up there.

All mute though as the bid is proposing a new stadium with an 80k capacity reducing to 60k after the games.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...-olympics-stadium-coates-20190911-p52q69.html

Diesel

Coach
Because of the existing western stand at Suncorp when the stadium was rebuilt, I had the understanding the stadium couldn’t increased

Jamberoo

Juniors
You could probably put a third tier on the road side half of the stadium without increasing the footprint. The other half of stadium has apartments and school next to it so unlikely they would be impressed if they tried to build up there.

All mute though as the bid is proposing a new stadium with an 80k capacity reducing to 60k after the games.

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/po...-olympics-stadium-coates-20190911-p52q69.html
They are a long way off finalising any bid.
If they rebuilt the Gabba the field dimensions of Optus in Perth rather than the current MCG shape (I.e. more narrow), it might fit in its current spot.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Yeah this is likely. They used the Sunburn's stadium at the Gold Coast for the Commonwealth Games because you can drop a temporary athletics track into an oval ground as there is more space. You wouldn't be able to squeeze an athletics track onto the playing surface at Suncorp. The best we can hope for is that Suncorp gets and upgrade and maybe a capacity bump to 60k as it will probably host the Football final.