What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shoutout to Kevin Walters

Bronco18

Juniors
QRL has said they would consider releasing Kevin Walters as Queensland coach if he asked to be released. He might be in the frame of mind for the Titans job if Neil Henry gets sacked. QRL has said they would prefer Walters to stay, and Walters has said he is committed to the Queensland job so its too early to say if there is any likelihood of this happening.

I wouldn't be surprised if he held out for Bennett's current contract to end. The Broncos should make a play for him then.

davi

Juniors
I read today an opinion piece suggesting Kevin Walters would be smarter to stay on as Queensland coach. The suggestion is that the Broncos job will be likely his after Wayne Bennett retires, and if the Broncos nab Paul Green to replace Bennett then Walters will likely replace Green at the Cowboys. They are more tempting scenarios for a coach then the uncertainty at the Titans right now.

Walters has a contract with the QRL as well. However, the possible downside is if Walters falters then he might not be as a hot commodity as he is right now.

Look if winning zero series with the Blues didn't damage Ricky Stuart's reputation as a coach, Kevin Walters has nothing to worry about after winning two series consecutively. Especially given that no-one gave him any chance of winning the second series.

davi

Juniors
Look if winning zero series with the Blues didn't damage Ricky Stuart's reputation as a coach, Kevin Walters has nothing to worry about after winning two series consecutively. Especially given that no-one gave him any chance of winning the second series.

Ricky Stuart had coached Roosters to a premiership before he took on the NSW job. He had runs on the board in club football, Kevin Walters does not.

Ricky Stuart had coached Roosters to a premiership before he took on the NSW job. He had runs on the board in club football, Kevin Walters does not.
If we are going to acknowledge the Premiership and two consequent consecutive Grand Final appearances, we also need to acknowledge running second-last in the comp three times while coaching and one wooden spoon.

Walters might not have head coaching kudos but the teams that he was assistant coach of have not been wooden spooners nor second last in the comp.

typicalfan

Coach
Correct, I meant to say the second time around. I won't alter my post since my lack of qualifying my statement was a definite error.
If he can get the Maroons through a transition period then his legacy might be stronger than if he moved on and coached the Titans to a few average seasons.

davi

Juniors
I read today that if Kevin Walters does get the Broncos coaching job he is unlikely to coach Queensland this year. And then take over the Broncos job after the series. Apparently the word is Wayne Bennett and Paul Green are in the mix to replace him if he does get the Broncos job.

It is believed the short off-season and looming Broncos clean-out would make it too difficult for Walters to coach Queensland, while undertaking a rebuild at Red Hill.

The 2021 pre-season is slated for a November 9 start date and the first of three Origin games starts on November 4, which would make juggling both positions nearly impossible.

The QRL believe Walters would be too busy with his commitments at the Broncos should he take the job, which would require a hands-on approach from their last game of the season on September 24.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/9bb380d034e0e04b842e8bc36e6a8818

King hit

Coach
It's been a bit drowned out in the shouting match surrounding NSW, their coach and their selections, but Kevvy Walters kicked off his reign as QLD coach with a 2-0 series victory. Not a bad way to kick it off at all.
Did you know that Kevin Walters played Origin footy with Jason Smith?
200_d.gif

davi

Juniors
Kevin Walters has now ruled out quitting coaching Queensland at this years state of origin. Regardless of whether he lands the Broncos job or not.

Queensland coach Kevin Walters has confirmed he won't walk away from his State of Origin commitments this year if he's offered Brisbane's NRL gig.
The Broncos legend is believed to be one of two serious options for the position along with former North Queensland coach Paul Green, who orchestrated the Cowboys' 2015 NRL title.

However, with the three-week Origin series set to start on November 4, Walters said he will not be walking away from his role as Maroons coach to take up early with the Broncos.
"I'm fully committed to Origin this year," he told Big Sports Breakfast on Monday.

"We've put a lot of work into it and I'm very excited about what's going to happen in November from a Queensland point of view and that's been my driving force all year.
"I'm really looking forward to that."

Walters, who won five premierships as a player with the Broncos, has consistently said he hasn't had contact with the club over the vacancy for 2021.

However, his name is being pushed by Broncos' old boys and his potential appointment has garnered growing support.

And while the Broncos will not rush into finding a replacement for Anthony Seibold, Walters is willing to be patient in pursuit of his dream job.

https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/6903413/walters-committed-to-origin-gig-in-2020/?cs=14274