What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Interesting how we have discussions on these forums around the media writing stories about this and that, invariably how they are often guilty about making stories up.

I’m sure it was only last week there was a story suggesting Josh Papali’i wanted a release from his Raiders contract to return home to Queensland.

Wouldn’t you just know it Raiders are announcing Papalii has agreed to a new deal extending his stay.

in respect or our RL media outlets, journos etc I think believe half of what they write and say, halve it again and perhaps then you may be somewhere near the truth.

Interesting how we have discussions on these forums around the media writing stories about this and that, invariably how they are often guilty about making stories up.

I’m sure it was only last week there was a story suggesting Josh Papali’i wanted a release from his Raiders contract to return home to Queensland.

Wouldn’t you just know it Raiders are announcing Papalii has agreed to a new deal extending his stay.

in respect or our RL media outlets, journos etc I think believe half of what they write and say, halve it again and perhaps then you may be somewhere near the truth.

The old saying don't believe everything you read in the papers.

I swear the jounos make half the stuff up or get fed bad mail by player agents to suit their clients current negotiations.
They are lazy too. This year is proof. Crichton's rumour to the dogs. Only linking him there because of his brother and the Dogs need a centre. Never understanding the fact he wants to stay at Penrith. Same with Burton, trying to fit the puzzle piece in, because the Dogs need a half and we have 2.

The real laugh for me was the week before last. On the Footy show Riccio, Webster and Read were asked who would be the next Dragons coach.
All 3 fumbled their answers. One said the 'Dragons know who they want'. Another said an announcement would be made in a week or 2.
2 days later Hook was announced.
I find the best thing to do is to read the quotes. Everything else is just waffle and speculation.
A week before the Dragons picked Hook, a spokesman said 'our next coach must be good with discipline, experienced, and good with junior development' No way it was going to be anyone else but Hook on those comments.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
The old saying don't believe everything you read in the papers.

I swear the jounos make half the stuff up or get fed bad mail by player agents to suit their clients current negotiations.
They are lazy too. This year is proof of Crichton's rumour to the dogs. Only linking him there because of his brother and the Dogs need a centre. Never understanding the fact he wants to stay at Penrith. Same with Burton trying to fit the puzzle piece in because the Dogs need a half and we have 2.

The real laugh for me was the week before last. On the Footy show Riccio, Webster and Read were asked who would be the next Dragons coach. All 3 fumbled their answers. One said the 'Dragons know who they want'. Another said an announcement would be made in a week or 2.
2 days later Hook was announced.
I find the best thing to do is to read the quotes. everything else is just waffle and speculation.
A week before the Dragons picked Hook a spokesman said 'our next coach must be good with discipline, experienced, and good with junior development. No way it was going to be anyone else but Hook on those comments.

They just make stuff up, I understand the reasons why, it is what it is I guess. Anyway some journos appear to have been right with Tamou’s destination even if it was pretty much a given. Joining the West Tigers means he can stay at Glenmore Park. Was never going to the Dragons and have to drive to Wollongong every day.

MugaB

Coach
Effort is a big part of it. That is why I put him over Arthur, Mary and a few others but needs the good assists to go well
Jezzus Arthur? I'd say Ivan's light years better than that jibberer, "what are we doing this week Brad?"

"Youve Got DEFENCE"

MugaB

Coach
Effort is a big part of it. That is why I put him over Arthur, Mary and a few others but needs the good assists to go well
Jezzus Arthur? I'd say Ivan's light years better than that jibberer,
"So, what are we doing this week Brad?"

"Youve Got DEFENCE gutho!!"
20200915_174440.jpg

maple_69

Bench
I think Leota is fine off the bench. Impact is great but continuity is also just important through the middle 40. In saying that, it makes the decision on who takes over from Tamou pretty simple. Leota has well and truly done his apprenticeship on the bench as well. Time will tell whether he can hold Leniu out for long though.

Pomoz

Bench
I said all year Leota offers not much off the bench. At least compared to Tetevano and Leinu. Either start him or not at all he does all the things Tamou does just younger
On what basis do you say that Leota offer's nothing off the bench? He currently sits in the top 20 in the entire NRL for work rate (called involvement) when he is on the field. Measured by the tackles and runs taken when a player is on the field. He is 7th in the NRL and basically either tackles or makes a run once out of every five plays the Panther's make. He averages 101m per game, Tetavano 99m. 21 tackle, Tetavano 14 tackles. Leota 33 minutes, Tetavano 31 minutes per game. Effective tackle percentage 91% vs Tetavao 93%.

Leota deserves his starting spot.

Panther Pete

Juniors
I said all year Leota offers not much off the bench. Atleast compared to Tetevano and Leinu. Either start him or not at all he does all the things Tamou does just younger
IMO Leota runs the ball up significantly harder than Tamou but not sure how he compares with other stuff.

Fangs

Coach
What a great reward if Leota wins a starting spot in 2021. He has been riding the pine since his debut. Had my doubts about him at times but he isn't losing his spot in the top 17 without a fight. His form since the return of our full squad has been excellent.

Also shows you how important depth is. Its not just to cover for injuries, its to keep players fighting for their position in the team. That is unless your team sucks. Then you just get a release and play elsewhere.

Right now is a good time to be playing for the Panthers.

Pomoz

Bench
IMO Leota runs the ball up significantly harder than Tamou but not sure how he compares with other stuff.
It's hard to compare because they play different minutes. To be fair, Tamou also starts the game and plays against the oppositions A team. That said, Leota makes more metres per run (9 vs 8), and more tackle busts (10 vs 6). But Tamou has a better effective tackle percentage (96% vs 91%).

I think those stats sum up what you can see with your eyes. Tamou tightens up the middle defence. Leota bends the line more.

Fangs

Coach
What are we thinking about the Benji Marshall situation?

His defence hasn't been up to scratch at times this year. Came up with a poor decision on the weekend which killed the match, but also came up with a couple outstanding plays which gave them a chance to win. Meanwhile Brooks was too busy punching Gagai and Josh Reynolds was probably ordering chips and x4 light beers for the boys. Still the best play maker at the Tigers by a very long way.

And looking at other teams I think he makes it into plenty of other top 30 squads. He doesn't appear worried about being out of the starting 17, just wants to play football. Surprised the Warriors haven't taken a shot yet. Broncos are an obvious choice because they are totally f**ked.

Obviously with our depth he isn't getting a contract. But the talk is now about an off-field job at the Tigers. His ability in attack on the field might cross over into coaching at some point. I wouldn't take him on as a first year assistant to replace Barrett but might be worth a shout down the track.

Other option is he fills a role similar to what Andrew Johns has done for halves at other clubs. Though I'm curious to know how that translates into on-field results. That role would probably be to develop an individual player's skill set.

MugaB

Coach

His defence hasn't been up to scratch at times this year. Came up with a poor decision on the weekend which killed the match, but also came up with a couple outstanding plays which gave them a chance to win. Meanwhile Brooks was too busy punching Gagai and Josh Reynolds was probably ordering chips and x4 light beers for the boys. Still the best play maker at the Tigers by a very long way.

And looking at other teams I think he makes it into plenty of other top 30 squads. He doesn't appear worried about being out of the starting 17, just wants to play football. Surprised the Warriors haven't taken a shot yet. Broncos are an obvious choice because they are totally f**ked.

Obviously with our depth he isn't getting a contract. But the talk is now about an off-field job at the Tigers. His ability in attack on the field might cross over into coaching at some point. I wouldn't take him on as a first year assistant to replace Barrett but might be worth a shout down the track.

Other option is he fills a role similar to what Andrew Johns has done for halves at other clubs. Though I'm curious to know how that translates into on-field results. That role would probably be to develop an individual player's skill set.
Hell if he could tackle a bit more effectively, i'd have him on minimal money as a back up half, giving our B team a crack whilst showing Luai a few tips, Maloney was a great mentor for Nathan, maybe Benji could be that for Jahrome

betcats

Referee

I think he is done. His attacking footy has been ok but he isnt physically up to the defence anymore. Even in cover ive seen him barely able to jog when he should be sprinting back many times this year.

Edit: Even his attack, its not like he plays like a savvy veteran half who can be relied upon to direct the team and kick well and take good options, he still comes up with the wrong kick or the wrong pass often looking for a miracle play when ive seen him this season. Ive never rated him as a controlling halfback, hes been trying to play that role since he got back from rugby, maybe before, and its never worked for him for more than a few weeks.