What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals.

franklin2323

Immortal
Who's doubting our form? The regular season form will be irrelevant in finals. The point is Roosters/Storm will go up a gear in finals and no one knows if this Panthers team can do it because it's essentially a new team that hasn't had the opportunity yet.

Everyone saying we can't beat Roosters or Storm

franklin2323

Immortal
I was pretty happy with the Parra game tbh, we created plenty of chances its not like we dominated possesion and field position and werent coming close to scoring. 9 times out of 10 Jerome isnt getting held up in the first half and Liam Martin would normally score the one he dropped close to the line later in the half. Kikau scores if he doesnt hit that post in the second half and that isnt even all of bombed tries, just the closest ones I think. Add to or three tries to our 20 points and that is about the level of dominance we showed.

I was at the game and what surprised me was how wet the surface was. It was a nice day. A bit of wind normally it leads to a dry surface.

That was what I put the start too. Had 5 tries comeback no try. So chances were there and we kept our head. Which was good

betcats

Referee
Leota dropped one over the line too. We were about 40 points better than them in general play.

One of the most telling moments was after Cleary kicked the penalty to make it 14-2 with 4 to go. The game is still very much live at this point, you'd absolutely expect the short kick off. Instead they put it long. They were so well and truly bashed that they didn't want to compete any more, despite the game not being mathematically out of their reach.

Yep they were well and truly beaten by that point.

I honestly think the best I’ve seen parra play this year was when Moses was out and Brown and Gutho were running things. Mitch is really the ultimate flat track bully.

betcats

Referee
Also re big game experience, sure we definitely lack it compared to the two teams who have been dominating for years but after those two what other team really has a lot of grand final experience? Parra don’t. Newcastle have Pearce who is a big game choker. The raiders have that run last year. Sharks won in 2016 and most of that side is gone already. Souths have Reynolds and Latrell.

We have two key leaders in Api and Jimmy who are gf winners I think that puts us in good stead compared to most of the top 8.

Panther Pete

Juniors
It might work in our favour with all these media people talking about Melbourne and Roosters being the teams to beat come the finals, it certainly takes a bit of pressure off our young team and gives them something to prove.
Something else that might help us will be the lack of big crowds in this years finals. I have concerns our young guys may struggle to cope with finals footy however not playing in front of 40,000 plus fans may help with this.

It might work in our favour with all these media people talking about Melbourne and Roosters being the teams to beat come the finals, it certainly takes a bit of pressure off our young team and gives them something to prove.

The same thing happened in 2003. Everyone wrote us off.
They all said it will be a Roosters/Bulldogs grand final back then. I remember Bob Fulton coming out weeks before the finals stating our defense wasn't good enough to win a title. We were a year or two off claiming a title. Too young a side.
They were all wrong. We went up a gear in the finals and the rest is history.

I still think we have more improvement in us this year. Let them keep writing us off.

Smug Panther

First Grade
The same thing happened in 2003. Everyone wrote us off.
They all said it will be a Roosters/Bulldogs grand final back then. I remember Bob Fulton coming out weeks before the finals stating our defense wasn't good enough to win a title. We were a year or two off claiming a title. Too young a side.
They were all wrong. We went up a gear in the finals and the rest is history.

I still think we have more improvement in us this year. Let them keep writing us off.
2003 we were clearly the best side. This year I still believe its the Roosters. Not saying aren't right in it

WestyLife

First Grade
According to Fox Sports these are the best or worst teams will finish.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/14...kSelb0ZVChtTueqvXO6KM70v3QMLt2IKArJ5qZBtsIAYk

Yeah they stole it from Reddit.

That'll be a bonus for sure. Roosters will be who everyone expects to win it just like 2003 so hopefully history is repeating.

It is a valid question in my opinion though. One I expect the team to get an A+ for.

WestyLife

First Grade
Nothing to say we can't unless you are looking to bring the side down which the media loves to do

It's perfectly valid to suggest players/clubs who have done it countless times and are proven champions have an edge in big games. Panthers have to earn that reputation just like Roosters and Storm have.

Jane Murray

Bench
It's perfectly valid to suggest players/clubs who have done it countless times and are proven champions have an edge in big games. Panthers have to earn that reputation just like Roosters and Storm have.

It is a given that those two teams have a helping hand. Also, it has been proven that the Storm have cheated their way to the top.

WestyLife

First Grade
It is a given that those two teams have a helping hand. Also, it has been proven that the Storm have cheated their way to the top.

Even in their cap compliant years they've been dominant. Roosters and Storm are the benchmark like it or not. There's nothing saying we can't get there and I daresay the beginning of an era is starting at the club with genuine long term talent and good staff/administration of the football department being the focus BUT you aren't given respect you must earn it and Panthers haven't yet.