What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Mjab

Juniors
Interesting how this will play out.

McGuire still has 2yrs left on his Cowboys contract.
If they are shopping him then it would be crazy not to get him with the Cows paying some of his freight.
If he wants out, then they have to grant a release.

I wonder if there's a swap that could be part of this deal (assuming there is one of course)!
Of course with Norman

possm

Coach
Cant wait for the regular season to end. All this talk of McGuire coming and Young leaving etc is all exciting but we are yet to actually land a significant scalp. I do believe that that we just need that one or two good signings and we might actually start looking a touch more attractive to potential players.
In my opinion we need to recruit:
Forwards
2 x hard nosed NRL props
1 x marquee edge forward
1 x marquee lock if De Belin is not available

Backs
1 x marquee fullback would be most desirable

All the rest can be found within and under Griffin, I am sure they will be found to be suitable. Get rid of the dead wood and promote our juniors, we will have between 3.5m to 4m to spend which is more than enough to recruit players for the above positions.

possm

Coach
Interesting how this will play out.

McGuire still has 2yrs left on his Cowboys contract.
If they are shopping him then it would be crazy not to get him with the Cows paying some of his freight.
If he wants out, then they have to grant a release.

I wonder if there's a swap that could be part of this deal (assuming there is one of course)!
Wasn't it so that Griffin was reported to have touted Maloney to the Dragons if he won the head coach job? Could it then be:
Norman to France for Maloney
Hunt to the Cowboys for McGuire

Big salary cap savings for the Saints and a halves combination of Maloney and Sullivan.

McGuire to lock and De Belin to prop or vice versa.

McInnes back to hooker with a much improved game under Griffin.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Wasn't it so that Griffin was reported to have touted Maloney to the Dragons if he won the head coach job? Could it then be:
Norman to France for Maloney
Hunt to the Cowboys for McGuire

Big salary cap savings for the Saints and a halves combination of Maloney and Sullivan.

McGuire to lock and De Belin to prop or vice versa.

McInnes back to hooker with a much improved game under Griffin.

I think a lot of that was paper talk, so I highly doubt Maloney is on our radar. Griffin also touted Norman as a 'quality' player.
Unfortunately, I feel we are stuck with Norman for 2021.

Some interesting chatter about AFB being given permission to 'look around' by Manly, however, not to a 'Sydney' club.

If the Saab/Garrick deal has gone sour then Saab+cash/AFB would suit me fine

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I think a lot of that was paper talk, so I highly doubt Maloney is on our radar. Griffin also touted Norman as a 'quality' player.

Some interesting chatter about AFB being given permission to 'look around' by Manly, however, not to a 'Sydney' club.

It would be just what the doctor ordered.

Mjab

Juniors
I find it amusing "not to a Sydney club"
WTF , they either dont want him and he therefore goes to any other club , does it matter anyway at least SGI is technically a non sydney club , he can live in the Gong

I actually think potentially he is exactly what we need
Still young , not some old burnt old warhorse we generally target

possm

Coach

I'd say AFB misses his family and now that Mary is gone, would love to return to the Saints.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I find it amusing "not to a Sydney club"
WTF , they either dont want him and he therefore goes to any other club , does it matter anyway at least SGI is technically a non sydney club , he can live in the Gong
I wouldn’t live in Sydney either. He probably wants a more quite life with his family. The gong is perfect he has the best of both worlds. Not in Sydney but close enough that the travel to games isn’t brutal.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Warriors will be favourites, Gould has probably dangled the carrot. Brisbane will also have space after losing Fifita. But the fact is he is now a free agent and we would be stupid to not try to steal him from under Gould’s nose.

possm

Coach
Warriors will be favourites, Gould has probably dangled the carrot. Brisbane will also have space after losing Fifita. But the fact is he is now a free agent and we would be stupid to not try to steal him from under Gould’s nose.
Maybe Hunt is a good fit for Brisbane.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Good. At the right price and under Hook (who apparently he loves), I think it's a quality signing.

As much of a dickhead as he is, he's still a high-quality forward who busts his ass.

Make him Capt and let Cam go sulk with his “mate forever”

There have to be
reasonable questions asked of a Capt who’s led us to 15th & 13th FFS?
And I would never question his heart & commitment

....but is Cam’s our worst captain’s record in history??

New coaches usually want changed team culture
- and that can often start with the Capt?

This is a results-driven game?

Great leaders usually have solid Rep credentials & lift their team

& players will bleed for them

Hmmm
Moose paired with AFB?
We’d have some serious upfront grunt

...and a Capt who’d have a serious crack at the refs Lol

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/2af6248a-7a22-4322-a17e-3f8e631863fa

Last edited:

be55

Juniors
Was so disappointed when AFB left the Dragons...Stevie Wonder could have seen what a good player he was always destined to be...would absolutely love to see him back at St George but i am not sure if their is any truth to this story as it was the club that moved him on and i think he would still probably be dirty on that fact.
He is such a high quality prop and i would be ecstatic if he returned.He is exactly what we need a big bodied metre eater who can stand in tackles,offload and is aggressive.
Wow i better calm down because if i keep thinking about him possibly returning i may need to go and rub one out, i am getting that excited :p

Was so disappointed when AFB left the Dragons...Stevie Wonder could have seen what a good player he was always destined to be...would absolutely love to see him back at St George but i am not sure if their is any truth to this story as it was the club that moved him on and i think he would still probably be dirty on that fact.
He is such a high quality prop and i would be ecstatic if he returned.He is exactly what we need a big bodied metre eater who can stand in tackles,offload and is aggressive.
Wow i better calm down because if i keep thinking about him possibly returning i may need to go and rub one out, i am getting that excited :p
Meh, just rub one out anyway. It is good to clean the pipes out regularly.

Dragsters

First Grade
If Moose can transfer 30% of his mongrel, grit & experience to each of our forwards it’ll stiffen our pack’s resolve & garner some missing respect.

He’d respond well to Griff most likely

And he’s a Saints fan

With 223 NRL, 14 Origins, 7 Samoa & 8 Aust caps he sure knows his way around the paddock

If we land him, I'm hoping he can play a Jeremy Smith type role.

That would do just nice...

Last edited: