What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 - Rabbitohs vs Bulldogs: Thursday 17th September 7:50pm @ANZ Stadium

callmack1

Staff member
Time to shift our focus to another important game coming up on Thursday night against the Bulldogs. It's a super important one because I see this as another must win game. We want to make top six and try to get a home Final for week one so getting the result this week is absolutely crucial. Not only that, but the Dogs are one of our traditional rivals with a rivalry that stretches back over eighty years. I always love playing them in a grudge match like this as there's always a fair bit of feeling in it.

Canterbury might be way down on the ladder but we simply cannot afford to take them lightly. There's no room for complacency at all this week. Despite their ladder position, they're a really tough and gritty side that never gives up. They keep on fighting until the very end and I expect this week to be no different so we have to be ready for that. They also still have some stars that are capable of plenty of damage such as DWZ, Hopoate, Lewis, Marshall-King and a really tough forward pack lead by Josh Jackson. Shutting them down will be the key.

For us, as I said, there's no room for complacency. We started great against the Tigers last week but then we got complacent and look what happened. We need to start just as well and then maintain that for eighty minutes. We must be much better than last week or else the Dogs will be in with a shot. Our completions and defence have to be much better and we just have to get back to playing the type of Footy we know we're capable of and the type of Footy we have been playing before last week. Two weeks until Finals Footy so it's time for us to start ramping things up so this week becomes even more important in that regard.

So, yea, it's always a big game against the Bulldogs. We can do this!!!

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
If Souths win this game, and Newcastle lose, then Souths can afford to hold out some guys for the final game v Roosters.

If we've clinched 6th, I wouldn't be playing Adam and or Cody, and anyone else with niggling injuries can have a week off, we need to be healthy going into the finals. I wouldn't want to risk our star essential players against the Roosters in a game that may not count for anything, and risk them getting bashed and deliberately targeted so they can be put out of commission

Travitoh

First Grade
If Souths win this game, and Newcastle lose, then Souths can afford to hold out some guys for the final game v Roosters.

If we've clinched 6th, I wouldn't be playing Adam and or Cody, and anyone else with niggling injuries can have a week off, we need to be healthy going into the finals. I wouldn't want to risk our star essential players against the Roosters in a game that may not count for anything, and risk them getting bashed and deliberately targeted so they can be put out of commission

Not to mention an opportunity to get some solid minutes into the legs of some of the fringe guys too. They may be needed in the weeks after.

callmack1

Staff member
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 19,

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Marsters
5. Paulo
6. Walker'
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Knight
9. Cook
10, Burgess
11. Su'A
12. Sironen
13. Murray

14. Nicholls
15. Cartwright
16. Mago
17. Koloamatangi

This us how I think we'll Line up. Paulo in for Gags in an otherwise unchanged Line Up. Sele is back to full training but I think Wayne way give him another week. Tatola is still a week away so I think the pack will be the same. There's also apparently a concern around Reyno from training today but hopefully he's okay, if not, rest him.

Otherwise, no one should be rested. We are gunning for sixth so so need our best possible side out there. This game is crucial.

handyman2190

Bench

Sorry my friend,if you honestly think we will go into the roosters game half cocked, your dreaming, lol the biggest rivalry in the league and not give it our best, no way, if we cant beat them we dont deserve to win the comp, i think may as well know now

handyman2190

Bench
Here's my predicted Line Up for Round 19,

1. Allan
2. Johnston
3. Graham
4. Marsters
5. Paulo
6. Walker'
7. Reynolds (C)
8. Knight
9. Cook
10, Burgess
11. Su'A
12. Sironen
13. Murray

14. Nicholls
15. Cartwright
16. Mago
17. Koloamatangi

This us how I think we'll Line up. Paulo in for Gags in an otherwise unchanged Line Up. Sele is back to full training but I think Wayne way give him another week. Tatola is still a week away so I think the pack will be the same. There's also apparently a concern around Reyno from training today but hopefully he's okay, if not, rest him.

Otherwise, no one should be rested. We are gunning for sixth so so need our best possible side out there. This game is crucial.
Agree, if reyno is not right replace him otherwise full steeam ahead

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors
Sorry my friend,if you honestly think we will go into the roosters game half cocked, your dreaming, lol the biggest rivalry in the league and not give it our best, no way, if we cant beat them we dont deserve to win the comp, i think may as well know now
Normally I would totally agree, and I consider these matches war, but if we have nothing to gain or lose in the standings, why go into the match showing all your cards and risk injury to key players before the finals start? Not to mention, as Travitoh said above, a good chance for the fringe players to get burn and fitness levels up, as well as seeing what they might be able to provide.

There's a chance, assuming we win the first semi, that we might be playing them in the second semi. Do them slowly. Like marinade. It will taste better.

Travitoh

First Grade

Souths gave Easts everything in rd 25 last season and then fired a blank when it mattered the next week.

Don't let a battle take focus away from the war. While i don't believe Souths are a contender, the club should be concentrating on giving itself it's best opportunity to win a premiership, not a dead rubber against a club that won't give a toss about them.

callmack1

Staff member
Round 19 Line Up vs Bulldogs: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/09/15/round-19-line-up-vs-bulldogs/

Really happy with the Line Up this week! Almost exactly as I expected. Of course there is a chance the team that runs out on Thursday could be different though. Jaxson will return with a point to prove I hope. Reyno is in some doubt, he didn't train again today, but it's great to see him named because it means he's a chance of playing (however if there's any doubt I don't think we should risk him). Awesome to see Sele named to finally return, that's a real boost and it gives Mago a chance to have a bit of a spell. Also awesome to see Tatola named in the squad! He could be a chance to return.

So yea, good Line Up this week.

Just as a side note, I think it's the right move not resting anyone. I know it'd be good to but the reality is, we haven't earn't that luxury this year. We need to win this game and we need to keep building towards the Finals more than some players need a rest.

callmack1

Staff member

BotanyBorn&Bred

Juniors

callmack1

Staff member
Well, Game Day is finally here!!! Big Game Day for us too in the context of our Season as we go up against a traditional rival in the Bulldogs, needing to win to help secure a sixth place spot. I always love playing the Dogs. As I siad, it's a big rivalry that stretches back over eighty years and they're one of out main rivals. We've had some great clashes over the years, and there's always a lot of feeling in these games, I expect tonight to be no different.

Also as I said, it's a must win game. We want to secure a top sixth spot to ensure a Home Final in Week one of the Finals so this game is crucial. We simply must put in a good performance.

Canterbury might be coming last, but there is no room for complacency today. No room at all. We all know what the Bulldogs are capable of, they're an extremely gritty side that tries their guts out. When playing them, you know the effort will be there and they will never give up until the final whistle blows. They seem to play a style of Footy that upsets us but we can't allpw that to happen tonight, we can't allow them to drag us down to their level. Stopping the likes of DWZ, Hopoate, Lewis, Marshall-King, Faitala-Mariner and Josh Jackson will be the key, particularly shutting down their forwards.

As I mentioned, there's no room for complacency tonight. You only have to look at the corresponding game last year where the Dogs got us in a late Season upset to know what can happen if you're complacent. We can't afford to turn up thinking 'easy win,' we have to earn the victory and that all starts with our archilles heel, our completion rate. Once again, holding the ball will be a big focus as a high completion rate will allow us to build pressure and build our game. We all know that if we complete highly, the rest will flow off the back of that. We must put in a good performance!

So yea, the ladder positions might not reflect it but this is a big game. I know the boys can do it!!

Latest posts