What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Is that on the Manly forum? He isn't worth $900k even if he was a saint off the field IMO..

That $600-$700k mark in the media is about spot on I reckon. Would add that metre making ability we've been lacking ever since Matulino was going good..

Yeah saw it on there, and 360 said that his next 2 seasons at Manly were at 850k and the Warriors have come straight in at that mark with 3 years

Basically sounds like his wife is demanding they get out of Sydney and away from his gang links from the past now they have a young, large family.

Ikin put it well on 360 when asked if he would sign him “If it was a club that is trying to build a culture, no. If it was a club with a culture set that could mould him, yes”

Penrose_11

Juniors
He’s dam good but unsure $850k good. I’m not sure putting so much cap coin on one player and one with shady off field baggage is where we want to be heading. But having him on board would have our pack right up there with the best of them. Would there b any other props on more the $800k? Klemmer maybe?

WellsNZ

Juniors
I'd pay him 900k, we don't get the opportunity to get props of that level and we'll have to pay a premium to get one, but if we've got the cap what else is it going to go on.

JJ

Immortal
Yeah saw it on there, and 360 said that his next 2 seasons at Manly were at 850k and the Warriors have come straight in at that mark with 3 years

Basically sounds like his wife is demanding they get out of Sydney and away from his gang links from the past now they have a young, large family.

Ikin put it well on 360 when asked if he would sign him “If it was a club that is trying to build a culture, no. If it was a club with a culture set that could mould him, yes”
Ikon is spot on and of course that ain’t the Warriors

he’s lucky to have his wife if true

Penrose_11

Juniors
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Ah Mau
11. Katoa
12. Murchie
13. Harris

Bench: Evans, BMM, Blair, Lawton/TeVaga

Probably one of the better packs we’ve put out in many years.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I think he is yours chaps

Manly will only let him go to a qld club or Warriors, Cowboys already ruled out and Titans won’t have the cash

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Regarding the money, we all know we have to pay overs to get a top player to come here, so I'm not too bothered by the prices thrown around.
We offered both Tino and Matt Lodge around 800k I believe, so to land AFB for only a few pennies more would be a huge coup imo.

Meth

Staff member
I absolutely refuse to be happy about this until it’s a done deal.

Tongue

Juniors
Quick question -
Do Warriors players get paid in $NZD or $AUD?
And when quoting their salaries, which currency?

Big Marn

Juniors
The Warriors have reportedly swooped in with an offer of $850,000 a season to snatch Addin Fonua-Blake away from the Manly Sea Eagles.

According to Australian media, the prop is set to be without a club beyond 2020, after being sensationally granted permission to explore other opportunities on compassionate grounds.

The Tongan international reportedly wants to relocate outside of Sydney with his family, which sets him up as a potential recruit for nine other NRL clubs.

One of those, the Warriors, are apparently the front-runners to swoop in and grab one of the game's form props and more reliable metre-eaters.
Fox Sports' chief league reporter James Hooper told NRL360 the Warriors have matched his current deal with the Manly - worth $850,000 a season. Due to salary cap struggles the Sea Eagles have reportedly let him go.

Sea Eagles teammate Curtis Sironen told NRL Tonight it was a shock loss for the club.

"He addressed the group this morning, he didn't go into detail but just said it's going to be what's best for him at the moment and his family and he wants to enjoy the last couple of weeks with us," Sironen said.

"As a mate we all back him, I'm not looking forward to tackling the big unit. It's disappointing on that front but you just wish him the best, that's just the game we play."

Fonua-Blake's addition would inject an established presence into an already deep forward pack for 2021, that also gets Kane Evans and Ben Murdoch-Masila.

One thing that strengthens a potential marriage between player and club, is Fonua-Blake's wife has family based in New Zealand. While the Warriors face the prospect of basing themselves in Australia once again for next season, ties to New Zealand could be a clincher in locking down the 24-year-old long term.
Manly released a statement confirming Fonua-Blake will enter discussions with rival clubs for a contract beyond this year, and they "will look favourably upon a request to release" him.

"The Club has advised Addin and his manager that this matter needs to be resolved promptly so that all parties can confidently plan for the future."
The Brisbane Broncos were believed to be the initial front-runners, before sources within the club revealed they have no room under their salary cap.
He is averaging 167 metres and 75 post contract metres through 15 games in 2020, and was recently voted as the best middle-forward in the game by his peers in a survey.

However, behavior has not exactly been a hallmark of his player personality. In July, he copped a two-match ban and a $20,000 fine for calling referee Grant Atkins a 'f***ing genius', as well as being one of a number of players to refuse receiving flu vaccinations that were mandatory for players to cross the Queensland border.

The form of 'exit' Manly favour is unclear at this stage. The Warriors could be tasked to give up a player or even pay a fee.

If a player swap was requested, the Warriors would have a number of assets at their disposal in the forwards department. The most tantalising to give up would likely be Bunty Afoa, who the club granted permission to also seek out options with other clubs beyond this year.

A team that could emerge as another contender is the Dragons, who have over $1 million in cap room and have been unsuccessful in courting to other middle forwards in Penrith's James Tamou and Melbourne's Christian Welch.
Fonua-Blake has previously lived in Wollongong, the locations of one of the Dragons two home grounds.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Manly will want something in return?

Yeah sounds similar to the Addo-Carr situation, want a like for like player in return or a decent transfer fee, and won’t be paying a cent of his deal wherever he ends up

If Adam Blair was the swap I’ll head over to follow union haha. Maybe a Afoa/Roache deal with some coin thrown in ?

Big Marn

Juniors
Yeah sounds similar to the Addo-Carr situation, want a like for like player in return or a decent transfer fee, and won’t be paying a cent of his deal wherever he ends up

If Adam Blair was the swap I’ll head over to follow union haha. Maybe a Afoa/Roache deal with some coin thrown in ?
Its about time the NRL did a 3 team trade like the NBA does. That would be awesome.

JJ

Immortal

We’ll throw in Blair and a set of steak knives

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I hope you do get him, I consider him a top 3 front rower when he is on the park and the money will just be sitting there anway

On the Manly forums the thought was that we were paying too much for the AFB/Taupau combo so people aren’t devastated he is gone although if there was a choice most would say send Marty away first. Between the ears off the park will be the key for his next club. The video they showed of him on 360 last night celebrating with the gangster music on and sucking on a pipe made people a lot more comfortable with the decision too lol

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm genuinely excited about the prospect of him signing for us. Absolute wrecking ball and the exact type of player that we need.

He's only 24, he has the right to mature and get past the sort of issues he's had in the past. Sounds like he's got a supportive wife as well. I know our culture isn't renowned in the past but it's hardly a party boy/dickhead culture either as it stands. There's nothing to rival what we had with the stupid six etc.

Big Marn

Juniors
97 games played so hits that sweet spot for the "used car" analogy brought up in another thread.

Latest posts