What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Great news ! The Dragons now have a player with plenty of size and bulk .
All 17 stone and 6’ 3” of him .

Now for Griffin to instill some Dragon fire into him - and the other members of the pack .
I have been searching and can’t find anything about it other than Brent Read saying he’s more likely than McGuire or AFB.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Heard some rumours today:
- Young 100% gone (now confirmed)
- Young chased by Cowboys, Raiders, Chooks and Tigers

and most concerning:
- Tigers have sounded out McInnes - they think McInnes would be very interested if Young joins Tigers.

And in Griffin:
- He will look to move Norman to 14 and if successful looking to moving him to left edge either as centre or second row. Apparently similar to how Tyrone May is playing.

Again all rumours but who knows...

I’ve been worried about McInnes, he had a massive man crush on McGregor & he’s not happy he’s gone. Hopefully he clicks with Hook, he’s our captain & we need him playing well. He’ll almost certainly shift back to dummy half next year so hopefully he’ll be happier. I’m tired of seeing him run the ball at 13 & getting smashed.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I still believe Griffin WILL NOT go w Hunt/Clune combo next year...no chance...too risky not in his first year of coaching the club...he would be looking for a certain solution at 5/8 and Norman is definitely not that - I'm really thinking that Maloney may be a real option here ...I just can't see Griffin taking any risks ...he's actually showing his cards already by trying to lure hardened pro like Mcguire ...you can add Maloney to that list IMO..

I don’t see any scenario where Maloney signs with us while Norman is this there. Whatever cap space we have needs to be spent on hardening up our pack.

I think Norman gets first chance at 6 until Sullivan has played enough Canterbury Cup to be ready to take over.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I’ve been worried about McInnes, he had a massive man crush on McGregor & he’s not happy he’s gone. Hopefully he clicks with Hook, he’s our captain & we need him playing well. He’ll almost certainly shift back to dummy half next year so hopefully he’ll be happier. I’m tired of seeing him run the ball at 13 & getting smashed.
Same, he’s our heart and soul. I hope Hook invests in him. I’d be getting a mentor in for him, and our halves to work on kicking. Do a session here and there, could really help them all.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
A
I don’t see any scenario where Maloney signs with us while Norman is this there. Whatever cap space we have needs to be spent on hardening up our pack.

I think Norman gets first chance at 6 until Sullivan has played enough Canterbury Cup to be ready to take over.
Agree, I really don’t think it’s worth the hassle unless someone tries to poach him (unlikely) I would rather just ride out 2021 with him. See if Hook can get something out of him while Sullivan hones his craft in CC. If Sullivan starts owning CC we can give him a run here and there before taking over in 2022.

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
If we can move on Normie
move Hunt to the halves
I would sign Grant in a heart beat despite McInnes who i still think is a better 13 then he is 9

Grant
is signed to the Storm until the end of 2022, but has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent should Smith play on next season. Melbourne loaned Grant to the Tigers as part of a player-swap with Paul Momirovski to give him more game time.Jul 15, 2020

BLM01

First Grade
If we can move on Normie
move Hunt to the halves
I would sign Grant in a heart beat despite McInnes who i still think is a better 13 then he is 9

Grant
is signed to the Storm until the end of 2022, but has a clause in his contract that allows him to become a free agent should Smith play on next season. Melbourne loaned Grant to the Tigers as part of a player-swap with Paul Momirovski to give him more game time.Jul 15, 2020
Smith will retire at the end of the year

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
How about he just becomes a water runner and maybe we would win more games
I think he is Fing useless and shouldnt be in the team

Yeah he seems to be good at running across the field rather than up and down the field. Water runner would suit him perfectly.

You are a genius!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Anyone have any info on who Griffin will be chasing as assistants? That will be interesting seeing he has cleaned out the decks there?

Hopefully Matt Head may stay onboard as he was pretty good and did much better than Hornby and Young did in the lower grades. Mary and his mob tried to push him out last year after his team go to a GF cause they probably saw him as a threat only for him to survive the axe somehow.

RedVDave

First Grade
Anyone have any info on who Griffin will be chasing as assistants? That will be interesting seeing he has cleaned out the decks there?

Hopefully Matt Head may stay onboard as he was pretty good and did much better than Hornby and Young did in the lower grades. Mary and his mob tried to push him out last year after his team go to a GF cause they probably saw him as a threat only for him to survive the axe somehow.

Agreed Mat Head has a very good footy brain (forgive the pun) plus also had success with the Tigers lower grades.

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with that. If we had a hooker like Grant I think Hunt would kill it in the halves.

If he gets a pack of forwards whom are making plenty of meters then he would be free to play his natural game .

I always remember what Steve Linnane said after he left the Dragons and joined the Knights - “ What a difference it makes to play behind a pack that has plenty of go-forward in them . “ or words to that effect .

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If he gets a pack of forwards whom are making plenty of meters then he would free to play his natural game .

I always remember what Steve Linnane said after he left the Dragons and joined the Knights - “ What a difference it makes to play behind a pack that has plenty of go-forward in them . “ or words to that effect .
McInnes would also look better behind a pack that goes forward, so would Hunt as 7. Our whole team would benefit from a prop or 3.

Dragon David

First Grade
If he gets a pack of forwards whom are making plenty of meters then he would free to play his natural game .

We definitely need the go forward, tough as teak, relentless and fit guys to take the ball up and do the hard yards which we have lacked in the past couple of years, particularly with the loss of JDB in that time.

Hopefully, Griffin gets the right men to help with what we already have minus those who are just plodders.

Our backs will love it and the bigger and stronger the guys the better.

BIG RIG

Juniors
Some rumours I have heard over the last few days

- Obvious one is Joe Ofahengaue has agreed to terms on a 3 yr deal at St George and the deal seems to be in the ballpark of 400k per yr

- Dean Young has officially quit and looks set to to join Todd Payten at the Cowboys, Shane Flanagan looks likely to head to the Sydney Roosters

- From what I’m hearing Josh McGuire is very keen to join St George under Anthony Griffin for next yr and a deal may be struck in the next couple weeks

- Despite the rumours of his re-signing Christian Welch may still end up at St George but very unlikely

- The Reuben Garrick, Jason Saab swap deal is a done deal awaiting announcement

- Korbin Sims looks like he could depart the club along with Trent Merrin as Griffin reportedly does not see them in his future plans

- Dragons are also discussing whether to offer Addin Fonua Blake a contract for 2021 - all depends on JDB court case

- Corey Norman has received slight interest from the Super League but very unlikely he will leave - Dragons desperate to get rid of him and view either young Sullivan as a replacement or signing a veteran as a short term replacement

- Paul Green was actually approached for the head coaching gig but declined

- Anthony Griffin has earmarked some potential assistant coaches including - John Cartwright, Stephen Kearney and Simon Woolford

- BIG RUMOUR ( Still 50/50 about it but I highly doubt it )

Melbourne Storm could be set to approach St George in regards to a potential swap deal for Jordan Periera and/or Brayden Williame for JAC

Old Timer

Coach

- Obvious one is Joe Ofahengaue has agreed to terms on a 3 yr deal at St George and the deal seems to be in the ballpark of 400k per yr

- Dean Young has officially quit and looks set to to join Todd Payten at the Cowboys, Shane Flanagan looks likely to head to the Sydney Roosters

- From what I’m hearing Josh McGuire is very keen to join St George under Anthony Griffin for next yr and a deal may be struck in the next couple weeks

- Despite the rumours of his re-signing Christian Welch may still end up at St George but very unlikely

- Korbin Sims looks like he could depart the club along with Trent Merrin as Griffin reportedly does not see them in his future plans

- Dragons are also discussing whether to offer Addin Fonua Blake a contract for 2021 - all depends on JDB court case

- Corey Norman has received slight interest from the Super League but very unlikely he will leave - Dragons desperate to get rid of him and view either young Sullivan as a replacement or signing a veteran as a short term replacement

- Anthony Griffin has earmarked some potential assistant coaches including - John Cartwright, Stephen Kearney and Simon Woolford

Melbourne Storm could be set to approach St George in regards to a potential swap deal for Jordan Periera and/or Brayden Williame for JAC
Any news re Jacob Host and a contract upgrade

I know he was injured and pulled out at the Captains run a week ago but is he still injured or just not in DY's plan this week?

redVinme

Juniors

Throw in Norman for free.

Thanks for the update

Dragon David

First Grade

Thanks for the rumours update Big Rig.