What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I think you'll find he is already 'under' Griffin already.
I have no doubt Hook is already observing and tinkering with our roster. Unfortunately, the 'bubble' and his media committments probably prevent him from being more involved. He also has to pay some respect to Young as he was annointed intrim until round 20.

The rumoured/expected signing of Joe O is a good indicator of Griffins involvement. The fact that we are also chasing McGuire and a few others has Hooks fingerprints all over it.
One of the reasons that Millward took over sole recruitment responsibilities was due to McGregor’s poor coaching and if I remember correctly a review‘s recommendation that he (Mary) focus on football only. The selection committee this year was an extension of that approach and ultimately forced McGregor’s hand and finally he (McGregor) used it to justify his exit. Clever!

Last edited:

True_Believer

Juniors
From November on, Millward will be working under Griffin's directions and if he does not like that, he'll be gonsky just like Mary and Young before him.

Yes but he's still recruitment and he's still signing these players. Millward didn't choose the players to sign under Mary, Mary did. The agreement was that negotiations and communication with the targeted players was to be taken out of Mary's hands to free him up to focus on coaching.

So the only difference now I am guessing is that Griffin will be working with Millward to secure the player he's identified.

Buuuuut, I'm not sure why I am explaining that to you because historically you have shown zero interest in understanding the details.

be55

Juniors
One of the reasons that Millward took over sole recruitment responsibilities was due to McGregor’s poor coaching and if I remember correctly a review‘s recommendation that he (Mary) focus on football only. The selection committee this year was an extension of that approach and ultimately forced McGregor’s hand and finally he (McGregor) used it to justify his exit. Clever!
Spot on mate...it made me absolutely sick to my stomach to listen to Mcgregor use the fact that he was not in complete control of team selection as some sought of reason why "HE" decided to walk away from the club...what a joke...When politicians are dragged kicking and screaming to adopt a certain position that the public wants them to take, they always spin it to look as if that is what they were always going to do. Maybe Mcgregor should go into politics...you never know he could become Prime Minister one day...imagine that...God help us all....

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Mc Gregor was treated like a child despite having had nine years' coaching in the NRL. Ryan Webb has now sorted the coaching fiasco out but now needs to address the Pathways System as this has been a great disappointment. Over the past few years St. George District players have received no support showing up in Harold Matthews and S.G.Ball disastrous results and the loss of players such as Leilua, Sele, Isaac Thompson probably Host and possibly Saab and Dufty. Black, Doust, Piggott and Young representing St. George on the Joint Venture Board should be replaced by Coyne, Gasnier, Nightingale and Potter who would properly administer the St. George District interests.

Gareth67

First Grade
Have we got anyone medically retired who can come back? That seems to be the thing to do now.

Yes I was wondering about that - if you are referring to Sam ‘ Stif Arm ‘ Burgess letting the Rugby League world that he could be making a comeback next season .

If so , the NRL had better ensure that he plays for the difference between what they - the NRL gave Souths in way of a dispensation to their salary cap for his retirement from the game .

That should equate next to $ 0 that Burgess will be paid if he does ever return to the game . Put that in your bank account you pack of scheming wabbit berstards !

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
If we are losing Host we really need a second rower. Looks like we are a fair shot at Joe O, and a possibility of McGuire. Both good signings. I am not sure Fuimaono will be turned into a solid first grader but I will reserve my judgement until he plays under a decent coach. Ford I think will be a superstar in the mould of Bateman but is very raw and needs time. For me Ford is the bench utility, covering outside backs and back row. He's pretty fast and could cause havoc with the right game plan late in the game. I would aim to get him ready to eventually replace Sims longterm. Asiata is available but seems to be heading to the Bulldogs and wants to play lock. If we could convince him to play right back row he would be a great signing and would be like an extra half feeding some good ball to to Lomax, something Friz lacks. He is a massive outside shot but impossible. My forwards would be if we could make it work;
13.JDB
12.Sims
11.Asiata
10.Vaughan
9.McInnes
8.McGuire
14.Ford
15.Joe O
16.Lawrie
17.Kerr
18.Blacker (If goes well in CC will push for 16,17)
Not the best pack in the NRL but a much, much better one than we currently have. The order potentially would be tweaked.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Yes I was wondering about that - if you are referring to Sam ‘ Stif Arm ‘ Burgess letting the Rugby League world that he could be making a comeback next season .

If so , the NRL had better ensure that he plays for the difference between what they - the NRL gave Souths in way of a remittance )?) to their salary cap for his retirement from the game .

That should equate next to $ 0 that Burgess will be paid if he does ever return to the game . Put that in your bank account you pack of scheming wabbit berstards !
You mean "wascawwy wabbits"

possm

Coach
Yes but he's still recruitment and he's still signing these players. Millward didn't choose the players to sign under Mary, Mary did. The agreement was that negotiations and communication with the targeted players was to be taken out of Mary's hands to free him up to focus on coaching.

So the only difference now I am guessing is that Griffin will be working with Millward to secure the player he's identified.

Buuuuut, I'm not sure why I am explaining that to you because historically you have shown zero interest in understanding the details.
Under Griffin he will be a goffa and not a director of everything. Griffen will set his tasks and approve signings after getting the nod from our CEO.

Quite a few steps doen the ladder and plenty of supervision for Millward.

Gareth67

First Grade
Johnny King; bit light on the wings

Always remember the move that Raper , Smith and Johnny King would put on after a scrum win close to the oppositions try line .

Smith would get the ball , give a short pass to Raper - who has broken from the scrum early - then Smith would continue running to the open side taking the defense with him , whereas Raper would go the the blind side drawing the opposing winger and then pass the ball to an unmarked King who would scoot away for a 3 pointer .

Cronulla done the same play in their Grand Final win over the Storm and when I saw it , it immediately brought back memories of the Dragons magic three some. :innocent:

Last edited:

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Always remember the move that Raper , Smith and Johnny King would put on after a scrum win close to the oppositions try line .

Smith would get the ball , give a short pass to Raper , but Smith would continue running to the open side taking the defense with him , whereas Raper would go the the blind side drawing the opposing winger and then pass the ball to an unmarked King who would scoot away for a 3 pointer .

Cronulla done the same play in their Grand Final win over the Storm and when I saw it , it immediately brought back memories of the Dragons magic three some. :innocent:
Gareth67 the dragons of old ran some great scoring plays pity the sharks used that play. One play that always works but you never see is the run around it works all time. It creates holes everywhere.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Gareth67 the dragons of old ran some great scoring plays pity the sharks used that play. One play that always works but you never see is the run around it works all time. It creates holes everywhere.
I agree; wonder why you never see it?; good for linking with fullback or centres such as Dufty and Lomax. Then again why would you want to change the winning formula of 5 one out hit ups and a non chasing bomb.

Last edited: