What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

Bazal

Post Whore
Yep. This is where referees, touch judges and the NRL itself are on a hiding to nothing. People (especially the media) were complaining about over reliance on the video referee or them intervening inconsistently. People wanted its usage reduced and for the on field officials to back their judgement.

Now, when a mistake happens, the media are blowing up about how this got missed and why wasn't the video referee used. Talk about a no win scenario let alone hypocrisy.

No, see, what people actually want is vaguely competent referees....

Meth

Staff member
Henry Perenara robbed Eels of a try, and I'm still confused how the bunker was able to rule on a pass called a knock on without awarding the try

It's pretty simple. He blew the whistle. The Captain's Challenge was never vying for a try. As soon as he blew the whistle, the play is stopped.

Bad call? Yep.

Difficult to understand? No.

Just a straight up and down case of a legitimate pass being ruled forward. That happens a lot and vice versa.

T-Boon

Coach
I think in the off season we need to change the play the ball rule so that the ball can just be rolled between the legs. In one of the sets I saw last night I saw a player actually play it according to the rules the fool. He looked foolish. I just shook my head with embarrassment.
The rule should at least be clearly stated as "do what evs".

no name

Coach
It's pretty simple. He blew the whistle. The Captain's Challenge was never vying for a try. As soon as he blew the whistle, the play is stopped.

Bad call? Yep.

Difficult to understand? No.

Just a straight up and down case of a legitimate pass being ruled forward. That happens a lot and vice versa.
I agree that once the whistle blew, it was never going to be a try.
But since when is a pass allowed to be challenged? A tip on is definitely a pass.

If I was a parra fan I’d be blowing up at the decision but...

as a neutral / unbiased.. the bloke made a call, it was challenged, overturned, he apologises and the rules of the game were followed. This, at a stage when the Eels had the game won.

I don’t see the huge attention this is getting apart from the fact everyone likes to latch onto controversy these days and bark at the moon til they are blue in the face.

Everyone saw it from the angle of the TV cameras - the best view over the ground - on their lounges except the bloke with the whistle, ground level, in amongst players, running around trying to manage the field of play on his own. Another bit of proof to me that 2 refs are better than 1. Let one ref take care of the defence/10m while the other the ruck n general play.

no name

Coach
If I was a parra fan I’d be blowing up at the decision but...

as a neutral / unbiased.. the bloke made a call, it was challenged, overturned, he apologises and the rules of the game were followed. This, at a stage when the Eels had the game won.

I don’t see the huge attention this is getting apart from the fact everyone like to latch onto controversy these days and bark at the moon til they are blue in the face.

Everyone saw it from the angle of the TV cameras - the best view over the ground - on their lounges except the bloke with the whistle, ground level, in amongst players, running around trying to manage the field of play on his own. Another bit of proof to me that 2 refs are better than 1. Let one ref take care of the defence/10m while the other the ruck n general play.
My biggest gripe is that he allowed a pass to be challenged.
We see passes incorrectly ruled forward/not forward all the time, so whilst not ideal, completely understandable.
He just doubled down with allowing the review.

My biggest gripe is that he allowed a pass to be challenged.
We see passes incorrectly ruled forward/not forward all the time, so whilst not ideal, completely understandable.
He just doubled down with allowing the review.

he genuinely thought is was a knock on. Which can be reviewed. We all saw it as a pass... highly unusual and skilful but I can see why he thought it was a knock on at ground level in traffic.

All I think this is is bringing out a potential loophole - what is the difference between a forward pass and a knock on - especially when only one hand is used as a “tip-on”...

I’m backing the ref here.

gerg

Juniors
The nine commentary team is repugnant.

Hilarious last night. When Fifita did his knee Gus is "when I first saw these tackles around the knees I went straight to the referees boss and told him he has to put a stop to it... now ...before it gets out of control." He repeated himself several times like any old drunk at a bar would do.

Nek minit.. Paulo gets binned.... "oh that's ridiculous.... what is Paulo meant to do in that situation" and then bringing it up for the next 30 minutes.

Delboy

First Grade
He made a mistake. His bigger mistake was not saying to the whinging little bitch, "I made a mistake. Just like when you guys drop a ball or miss a tackle."
Actually BA in the after match presser said exactly that, Henry made an error and apologised. That’s fine, players make mistakes too, no issue from me.

Reactions: Vee

Bazal

Post Whore
Well it is.
Intentionally transferring the ball via the hand/s is a pass.

So how come you're calling it a tip on and not a pass? It's not a pass, it's batting the ball off your hand to another player

A bat back off a bomb is also a pass using that logic and therefore cannot be ruled forward but the VR. "INTENTIONALLY TRANSFERRING THE BALL VIA THE HAND(S) IS A PASS"

The_Frog

First Grade
What is it then?
It's a tap on. Momentum is not taken into account as it is with a pass. You don't look at the hands to see whether it was passed forward. Completely different animal. I thought everyone knew that.

siv

First Grade
Interesting that the old rule used to be a drop out from the 22y yard line if you missed a fieldgoal

gerg

Juniors
Aloiai catches the ball directly behind the blocker. Bunker - he catches it just outside the inside shoulder, try.