What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd19: Parra v Brisbane GAME DAY thread (18/9/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
I still have a lot of faith with Moses. I think people forget there hasn't been a good solid 12 mth period of him and drown together in one stint - they will get better. It was also evident he ran the ball more last night and while he got pushed away like a tissue, at least he put his body in front of Fifita in an attempt with no one else with him.
The point with Moses is no, he’s not playing like the best half back in the game. That’s because he plays for the Roosters in Keary. The rest of the clubs have players who have faults, some moreso than others. As Nth Qld can attest, you look can amazing with a great half and gash without one.

As much as merkins on here pile on Mitch regularly, there are at least 12 teams that would take him in a heartbeat.

Soto

Bench
I didn’t mind it too much either but giving away a 7 tackle set on our first tackle was the worst possible result. In order you prefer these:
1. Try
2. Repeat set
3. They receive the ball and we tackle them close to their line
Daylight
4. Give away a 7 tackle set
We need to go back to building pressure.
Mind you Waqa was checked as he was trying to go through...if he goes through untouched he may have scored.
Intensity in defence should go always go up another level if its a 7 tackle restart

Soto

Bench
I've seen him a few times take the tackle - but fair enough. I'll concede that maybe Keary wasn't a great example.

I'm fine with Moses crabbing across the field to try to find a gap - but if nothing is on, I don't feel we gain anything by him dumping the ball off to a team-mate, who then gets clobbered, and especially so if Moses doesn't touch the ball on the next tackle (I could understand if he doesn’t die with the ball, because he needs to orchestrate something on the next play; however, he rarely touches the ball after Joseph Paulo-ing it across field, and dumping it to another player).
Joseph Paulo-ing it...Gold..
Creative ball playing halfback

Noise

Coach
Mind you Waqa was checked as he was trying to go through...if he goes through untouched he may have scored.
Intensity in defence should go always go up another level if its a 7 tackle restart
I didn’t think it was an illegal block of Waqa. Every player is going to get their run checked to some degree from a mid field kick 50m out.

Delboy

First Grade
Field is so similar ( but not as good) to Moses , that apart from speed he offers no variety and in essence is just a player. Dylan Brown provides a point of difference like all good halves pairings, and it’s no coincidence the teams form and shape suffered in his absence.

Currently Lane looks Like he needs a rest or is carrying an injury, and personally would rather see Taka or dare I say it, Smith as the 6. Although Will does provide cover in limited periods as a 9.

Playing the Riff in the first semi is our best chance of getting through, not sure we measure up against the Storm and Roosters as well.

eels_fan

First Grade
Thought I’d catch up on the post game reactions after not being online last night, decided to skip reading after 2 pages where all I see is people with short memories as to how far we have come in the last couple of years whinge over and over and over.

we’re on 28 points! That is enough in a regular 24 game season to make the finals and we’ve done that in 19 games. Any other season you would be ecstatic to have secured finals footy 5 weeks before the season finished.

You’re a hard lot to please. We’re probably not going to win the comp this year, but I didn’t think we would before round 1 either. One more win (or a Canberra slip tomorrow) and we’re finished 4th/5th in 3 of the last 4 seasons, when the period before hand we finished with the spoon at almost the same ratio.

I’d much rather be watching us beat the broncos 26-12 to move into 3rd and yet somehow be judged to be “poor” and “rubbish” than 5-6 years ago when we were happy we put in a bit more effort and only lost by 10 on the way to a spoon...

Soto

Bench
And Paulo has been charged by the NRL muppets with a grade 1 contrary conduct.

early plea and he doesn’t miss a game.

I would fight it though. He did drop, it was absolute bullshit. If he takes the plea and gets another grade 1 charge in the finals he misses a week, not worth the risk. Fight it.
You can't even make this shit up..there was absolutely nothing in it.
Some clubs are protected..we know who..
Interesting to see if the NRL suspends Christian Welch for breaching covid protocols. 2nd player from the Storm now. First Ado Carr and now Welch.
The NRL suspended Cleary for 2 weeks for his Tik Tok videos..yes he lied or didn't tell the truth about the situation but precedent has been set. Stand him down for 2 weeks..

Eelementary

Post Whore
Thought I’d catch up on the post game reactions after not being online last night, decided to skip reading after 2 pages where all I see is people with short memories as to how far we have come in the last couple of years whinge over and over and over.

we’re on 28 points! That is enough in a regular 24 game season to make the finals and we’ve done that in 19 games. Any other season you would be ecstatic to have secured finals footy 5 weeks before the season finished.

You’re a hard lot to please. We’re probably not going to win the comp this year, but I didn’t think we would before round 1 either. One more win (or a Canberra slip tomorrow) and we’re finished 4th/5th in 3 of the last 4 seasons, when the period before hand we finished with the spoon at almost the same ratio.

I’d much rather be watching us beat the broncos 26-12 to move into 3rd and yet somehow be judged to be “poor” and “rubbish” than 5-6 years ago when we were happy we put in a bit more effort and only lost by 10 on the way to a spoon...

It's a 20-week season this year, though....

Soto

Bench

I would fight it though. He did drop, it was absolute bullshit. If he takes the plea and gets another grade 1 charge in the finals he misses a week, not worth the risk. Fight it.
League immortal Andrew Johns was stunned the issue even raised a penalty, describing the tackle as an “accident.”

The base penalty for the charge is 100 points. Paulo will miss a game if he fights the charge at the judiciary and loses.

He can avoid a suspension by taking the early-guilty plea and which would leave 75 points remaining on his record ahead of the finals.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/49b228355f51f56dfcc67e3e429718b6

emjaycee

Coach

Fight it and give him the weeks rest if he loses.
Alvaro is match fit and if we start with RCG and Evans again, they can have more minutes if needed.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
His kicks where complete rubbish. The longines down field had distance but rarely found green.
Anytime we where down their end he was unable to force a drop out or pressure kick. Constantly to deep or hitting players legs.
I think Matto produced 2 good kicks. Who is not pur prime kicker.

I never felt comfortable. If Field doesnt take the intercept the game could of been a worry.

I think our wingers are a concern. Sure they cart ball up but that's all they offer. Sivo was good for another 80mtrs last night. Neither are busting tackles and making 30 mtr runs ever.
MJ pokes his nose through but that is it. Guthersons game isnt based on this.
Blake is the only guy with any potency.

Compare to other sides who have atleast 2 or 3 player in the backline who are able to make terrorising runs. Damaging and busting the defense. Ours just cart it up. Big bodies and that is all. No acceleration or footwork. Anemic

I still feel our best way to win in finals is grind it out with this side. Keep them down their end. Clever kicks that build pressure. Unfortunately Moses does not seem capable of this. Let's hope he hits red hot form form for a few weeks
Moses had a great short kicking game last year. What has changed is the injury. That's all. Effective short kicking requires footwork to kick from the right position.

Eelementary

Post Whore
yeah, and we secured our top 8 position 6 weeks ago...

My point is not long ago we’d have been over the moon to be on 28 points after 24 games, we’ve got it after 19 and people are still losing their minds about how poor we are.

We did get it after 19 games - but there is only 1 game left.

Getting 28 points after 24 games isn't too different from getting 28 points after 19 games, when this season only has 20 games.

But yes - being on 28 points, with one round to go, is pretty good.

Eelementary

Post Whore
And Mennings charged for hitting the head of a falling Staggs... never seems like charges are laid when our players heads are hit in the same circumstances.

View attachment 42110

I'll never forget the NRL insisted on suspending Nathan Cayless during one of our Finals campaigns, for hitting a player who was being tackled from behind (and thus, fell forward) with an arm to the face...

Common sense dictated that a penalty was sufficient, but the NRL decided - in their infinite wisdom - to suspend Cayless.

Status
Not open for further replies.