What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Inisai Toga

Juniors
With recent criticism of players that one dimensional it is interesting to consider how many modern players fit into this category.; Aitken, Leilua, Dufty and now Cartwright are attack only players, just to name a few. They seem to hypnotise the press as they seem to look only at their ‘attacking‘ value to a team.

There’s something missing in the coaching coming through that so many players these days are so dominant in one area, yet so poor in other areas of their game. No fluke some of the best allrounders (tackle, run, pass) are playing for the Storm, Roosters etc).

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Before some start throwing Joe O under the bus, lets take a look at his stats from last night:

Played 57 minutes (Carrigan 80)
14 runs 126m (Carrigan 19/156)
52 pcm (Carrigan 56)
1 line break (Carrigan 0)
13 hit ups (Carrigan 19)
89.7% tackle efficiency (Carrigan 93
3%)
35 tackles 2 missed (Carrigan 56 1 miss)
0 errors (Carrigan 2)

Joe O plays prop and Carrigan played at lock.
If we are comparing apples with apples them Te'o was the other starting prop and Hopoate and Bullemore the bench props. Take a look at their stats before having a dig at Joe.

Agree, he's not playing up to his standard when selected for Origin, but who really is at the current last placed Broncs?

Draginzaaar

Bench
Dragon David , I must confess that after watching the Broncs game against the Eels just now , that I am beginning to understand where your coming from.

Ofahengaue was merely a passenger in the game , not really getting involved in the hard yaka as his teammates were . Even though they are on the bottom rung of the ladder his teammates gave their all .

He did seem disinterested and to make matters worse he has the body of a bluudy bowling :bowling: ball - minus the pins of course .

So should he become a Dragon then he damn well had better hit the gym and truly change his attitude. We cannot afford any more players that are there only to make up the numbers .

36 tackles and 13 runs, not too bad. Made more meters except for Carrigan.

LINESPEED

Juniors
With recent criticism of players that one dimensional it is interesting to consider how many modern players fit into this category.; Aitken, Leilua, Dufty and now Cartwright are attack only players, just to name a few. They seem to hypnotise the press as they seem to look only at their ‘attacking‘ value to a team.

There’s something missing in the coaching coming through that so many players these days are so dominant in one area, yet so poor in other areas of their game. No fluke some of the best allrounders (tackle, run, pass) are playing for the Storm, Roosters etc).

Turnstile?
Attack FMD?

McNFI’s & Clone’s shared Lovechild

... & he’s thoroughly rooted both of them, although they haven’t yet joined the dots on that it seems

He couldn’t find a hole in Swiss cheese

And he fudges all his metres sideways
... when he’s not avoiding bombs, watching cutout passes float by, ball hogging & career-fuc/king juniors

A great coach’s arselicker though
Browneye WTF

PS
Late News
The hammy option’s finally been taken

Lovechild Out v Knights!

Too late Deano - shoulda been a month ago when u were warned

Last edited:

BLM01

First Grade
Your comments are spot on, I think everyone is so relieved to finally get rid of the former coach and what he has done to the club in recent years and are fans are now seeing a light at the end of the tunnel, finally ! But patience is now required and trust in what he will put in place over the next couple of months to take us forward.

I have no doubt that some of the signings we get for next year for starters will not shake my tree
And even keeping Norman because he would cost a lot to pay out for 1 year I will leave that to him.
Cause at this stage I am backing the coach to get it... or try to make it right and it takes time
It will take him maybe 2-3 years minimum (and probably a contract extension) with a bit of luck to be close to assembling the right roster to be challenging the top 4 or 5 regularly.

Dragon David

First Grade
I have no doubt that some of the signings we get for next year for starters will not shake my tree
And even keeping Norman because he would cost a lot to pay out for 1 year I will leave that to him.
Cause at this stage I am backing the coach to get it... or try to make it right and it takes time
It will take him maybe 2-3 years minimum (and probably a contract extension) with a bit of luck to be close to assembling the right roster to be challenging the top 4 or 5 regularly.
The pressure will be on Griffin from the get go by all and sundry, but patience is indeed needed after all of the non productive and unsuccessful previous years we have had with McGregor. It will be interesting to see what our performances will be like in 2021.

Why things are about to get worse for Dragons
At a time when the Dragons couldn’t find their identity even if it was clipped to their shirt pocket, they’ve allowed a player with the purest of values, work ethic, class and power to take his business elsewhere.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=DTWEB_WRE170_a&dest=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/tyson-frizells-departure-will-hurt-dragons-even-more-locker-room/news-story/f6df0aca1c22fe44f03e8706624b1aa8&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&nk=87ac1b00f63cde22b311b8af42202aa9-1600482848
Hey get smarty can you please copy the article its behind a pay wall. Thanks

BLM01

First Grade
The pressure will be on Griffin from the get go by all and sundry, but patience is indeed needed after all of the non productive and unsuccessful previous years we have had with McGregor. It will be interesting to see what our performances will be like in 2021.
Not all of us are putting pressure.. well I can only speak for myself, all I expect is just a slow climb out of the cellar and continued Improvement on what we’ve been dished up with. Not hard for a half decent coach.
Flanagan also could of done the same.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Maybe Millward has another job now.

Yeah hopefully selling pies on the Red Devils canteen

....alongside Mc Fu/ck-He-Hasn’t-Opened-His-Mouth-For-a-Week

... who’ll be flogging copies of his new ghost-written Fox-sourced book with a forward by Phil Gould:

.... called ‘How To Trash Your Legacy’

Dedicated to “My Mate Ewey”

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Before some start throwing Joe O under the bus, lets take a look at his stats from last night:

Played 57 minutes (Carrigan 80)
14 runs 126m (Carrigan 19/156)
52 pcm (Carrigan 56)
1 line break (Carrigan 0)
13 hit ups (Carrigan 19)
89.7% tackle efficiency (Carrigan 93

36 tackles and 13 runs, not too bad. Made more meters except for Carrigan.

3%)
35 tackles 2 missed (Carrigan 56 1 miss)
0 errors (Carrigan 2)

Joe O plays prop and Carrigan played at lock.
If we are comparing apples with apples them Te'o was the other starting prop and Hopoate and Bullemore the bench props. Take a look at their stats before having a dig at Joe.

Agree, he's not playing up to his standard when selected for Origin, but who really is at the current last placed Broncs?

Gents the mans stats are impressive , more so when compared to the hardest- working player of the match . It would appear that I have pushed the poor devil under the bus just a little too quickly .

However fortunately for little Joe , the said bus merely bounced over him without leaving any permanent damage . But as I mentioned in my post I was not writing the man off , but did say that should he come to the Dragons then hopefully he would get himself somewhat trimmer and also become more interested in his game .

Last night he reminded me somewhat of a Georgie Rose - Mark 2 .

Last edited:

epDragon62

First Grade
He’s right too, and taking kicks on the full. Great attack is a bonus but the fundamentals come first.
I too am warming to Hook more and more.

For the whole post-Bennett era a constant frustration has been how poorly we execute the basics and how we defend (even setting aside the lack of intimidation). If Hook can improve these things, even with the current troops we will move up the ladder.

Last edited:

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I too am warning to Hook more and more.

For the whole post-Bennett era a constant frustration has been how poorly we execute the basics and how we defend (even setting aside the lack of intimidation). If Hook can improve these things, even with the current troops were will move up the ladder.
As many players like Soward have said about Bennett, he simplified the game by giving each player a simple job to do and each working together like a cog in a machine. This is what we have been missing imo, and I believe Hook will bring. We have players like Aitken that can’t put his winger over. Fullback that won’t contest highballs, halves that can’t find the grass with kicks. And no real combinations between anyone other than maybe Lomax, Rava and Dufty. No short balls from our 7 onto surging backrowers, no Dufty sniffing around the middle for an offload. The list goes on, I just want players that can all do their job and do it collectively.

Dragon David

First Grade
As many players like Soward have said about Bennett, he simplified the game by giving each player a simple job to do and each working together like a cog in a machine. This is what we have been missing imo, and I believe Hook will bring. We have players like Aitken that can’t put his winger over. Fullback that won’t contest highballs, halves that can’t find the grass with kicks. And no real combinations between anyone other than maybe Lomax, Rava and Dufty. No short balls from our 7 onto surging backrowers, no Dufty sniffing around the middle for an offload. The list goes on, I just want players that can all do their job and do it collectively.

You have expounded well here Forbes. Where did all the skills and abilities and combinations and back-up go? McGregor and his merry men ambushed our players to play submissively in the end. Come on Hooksy, get the players out of the woods and lead them on their march to glory once again.