What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ofahengaue

possm

Coach
That pretty much sums up JO for a number of seasons now. He is not what we need, he is just another along the lines of what we already have. We have to do better than that.
I'm getting really worried, can you please tell me who we should recruit to stiffen up our forward pack? In my mind, I believe we need at least two props, an edge forward to replace Frizell and possibly a lock to replace De Belin if his legal case goes south.

And that's only in the forwards. Griffin may be able to improve the performance of Hunt and Norman in the halves and our young guns coming through may solve our outside back problem, but there is no visible solution to our fullback problems as the potential candidates your young guns without first grade experience and their potential is just that at the moment; they are untested. So in the backs the recuritment of a first grade fullback is essential.

SAP58

Juniors
That pretty much sums up JO for a number of seasons now. He is not what we need, he is just another along the lines of what we already have. We have to do better than that.
After watcfhing last nights game I have to agree, whilst the Broncos are an ordinary side he didnt show much different from what we have. Some challenging decisions for Hook, I expect Host will now go to Souths and unless he can influence the attitude of a number of our current forwrds we will struggle with what is available in the market. It will be an interesting or depressing silly season for us.

Sloth

Juniors
I have the belief that Hook will get us a signing or 2 in the forward stocks that are currently not available on the market. His interview on NRL 360 said as much, it is amazing who comes on the market if you ask the right questions to the right people.

jak

Bench
Your right jak. However I believe that his dad may had , had a word in his ear about where his future lies . Wendell realizes just what a mess the Dragons have been in as much as the board and its reluctance to change with the times . His advice would sway his son as to where he should go - or stay .
you could be right mate but he is more than smart enough to make his own decisions, do you know if his parents are still in the area,i don't think he would like dad telling him he should go to the broncos at the moment.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I'm getting really worried, can you please tell me who we should recruit to stiffen up our forward pack? In my mind, I believe we need at least two props, an edge forward to replace Frizell and possibly a lock to replace De Belin if his legal case goes south.

That's a damn good question possm. I agree we need to stiffen our forward pack, but my comments re JO are in relation to him personally, he just isn't an improvement on what we already have. And with regards JDB and Friz, i don't believe JO a like for like replacement.....so what are we really gaining?

While i am cautiously optimistic that Griffin will improve us over what we have endured in the last 9 years, thinking we can just grab 2 or 3 of the players that are currently available and immediately be a top 4 side is just dream time stuff. We are going to need to be patient, expect steady improvement over the next couple of years while we blood and nurture some of our home grown talent and pick up astute signings as they become available to fill the gaps, not just grab any old reject who is currently available and expect to win the comp next year.

I am looking forward to 2023, because if we are strategic and professional with our approach, that is when we can really be a serious competition threat. Getting all wound up now and expecting to make a few quick signings and win a comp next year is only going to end in another "sack Griffin now" thread. We wanted change and we have got change, let's give him the chance to do his thing, I'm confident he has a plan and even more confident that he knows better than us, how and what he needs to do to deliver on that plan.

.And that's only in the forwards. Griffin may be able to improve the performance of Hunt and Norman in the halves and our young guns coming through may solve our outside back problem, but there is no visible solution to our fullback problems as the potential candidates your young guns without first grade experience and their potential is just that at the moment; they are untested. So in the backs the recuritment of a first grade fullback is essential.

Again, I agree, I've never been a fan of Dufty and that is all over this forum for everyone to see. But as i said above, i don't believe we are going to become premiers over night, so I don't believe it is critical that we grab the first available fullback if he isn't the right one for us long term. I am prepared to give Griffin the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing, or at the very least, give him more than 10 days in the job before starting to crucify him for not signing half of the NRL players list at over inflated prices.

possm

Coach
After watcfhing last nights game I have to agree, whilst the Broncos are an ordinary side he didnt show much different from what we have. Some challenging decisions for Hook, I expect Host will now go to Souths and unless he can influence the attitude of a number of our current forwrds we will struggle with what is available in the market. It will be an interesting or depressing silly season for us.
We should focus on good footballers rather than take the high and mighty view that these young blokes have to be alter boys.

Belta

Juniors
That's a damn good question possm. I agree we need to stiffen our forward pack, but my comments re JO are in relation to him personally, he just isn't an improvement on what we already have. And with regards JDB and Friz, i don't believe JO a like for like replacement.....so what are we really gaining?

While i am cautiously optimistic that Griffin will improve us over what we have endured in the last 9 years, thinking we can just grab 2 or 3 of the players that are currently available and immediately be a top 4 side is just dream time stuff. We are going to need to be patient, expect steady improvement over the next couple of years while we blood and nurture some of our home grown talent and pick up astute signings as they become available to fill the gaps, not just grab any old reject who is currently available and expect to win the comp next year.

I am looking forward to 2023, because if we are strategic and professional with our approach, that is when we can really be a serious competition threat. Getting all wound up now and expecting to make a few quick signings and win a comp next year is only going to end in another "sack Griffin now" thread. We wanted change and we have got change, let's give him the chance to do his thing, I'm confident he has a plan and even more confident that he knows better than us, how and what he needs to do to deliver on that plan.

Again, I agree, I've never been a fan of Dufty and that is all over this forum for everyone to see. But as i said above, i don't believe we are going to become premiers over night, so I don't believe it is critical that we grab the first available fullback if he isn't the right one for us long term. I am prepared to give Griffin the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he is doing, or at the very least, give him more than 10 days in the job before starting to crucify him for not signing half of the NRL players list at over inflated prices.

I must say being patient and building from within certainly sounds warm and fuzzy and I agree it should be our focus. But I partially fear this concept is also dream time stuff. I say this because we have a very poor track record of late in producing world beaters. If you’re thinking that I am offering a better solution than you’d be mistaken as I can’t see any easy fixes. Astute buys for us are few and far between for clubs like us so we may very well need to take a chance on one or two forwards like JO and hope a new environment sees them reach their potential.

Despite my post sounding depressively negative, strangely enough Im actually excited. I’m more hopeful that our coaching staff will bring changes to our defence, attack and team selections that I’m sure will see better results

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We should focus on good footballers rather than take the high and mighty view that these young blokes have to be alter boys.

Ivan Milat was apparently a good centre back in his youth.

Should we have signed him up?

Dragsters

First Grade
I must say being patient and building from within certainly sounds warm and fuzzy and I agree it should be our focus. But I partially fear this concept is also dream time stuff. I say this because we have a very poor track record of late in producing world beaters. If you’re thinking that I am offering a better solution than you’d be mistaken as I can’t see any easy fixes. Astute buys for us are few and far between for clubs like us so we may very well need to take a chance on one or two forwards like JO and hope a new environment sees them reach their potential.

Despite my post sounding depressively negative, strangely enough Im actually excited. I’m more hopeful that our coaching staff will bring changes to our defence, attack and team selections that I’m sure will see better results

I think we are all excited Belta, the mcfog is lifting and things are finally changing for us.

As for the solution, "go with what works" might just be the best option for this club again.

Bennett showed that with our clubs junior talent, a couple of tough, hard working, uncompromising forwards to bolster the defense and instill confidence, ala Costigan and Smith, and a quality fullback (if we can't bring one through) and this formula might well work now.

I'm confident Griffin will work something out and whatever he decides to go with, there's a proven blueprint there to draw from...

Belta

Juniors
I think we are all excited Belta, the mcfog is lifting and things are finally changing for us.

As for the solution, "go with what works" might just be the best option for this club again.

Bennett showed that with our clubs junior talent, a couple of tough, hard working, uncompromising forwards to bolster the defense and instill confidence, ala Costigan and Smith, and a quality fullback (if we can't bring one through) and this formula might well work now.

I'm confident Griffin will work something out and whatever he decides to go with, there's a proven blueprint there to draw from...
Yes wouldn’t it be great to find a Jeremy Smith or Neville Costigan, it’s quite obvious we need atleast one, best case 2 tough impact forwards and fingers crossed the new coaching staff (and fans) are willing to be patient with junior backs that will take time to develop. It isn’t a guarantee of success, if this happens then the flack can cause a self implosion (ie broncos) as many won’t see the big picture. Let’s hope we see this and the new crew doesn’t panic and succumb to outside pressure.

Dragsters

First Grade
Yes wouldn’t it be great to find a Jeremy Smith or Neville Costigan, it’s quite obvious we need atleast one, best case 2 tough impact forwards and fingers crossed the new coaching staff (and fans) are willing to be patient with junior backs that will take time to develop. It isn’t a guarantee of success, if this happens then the flack can cause a self implosion (ie broncos) as many won’t see the big picture. Let’s hope we see this and the new crew doesn’t panic and succumb to outside pressure.

True. If that happen to us though, I reckon the experience of Hook will deal with the pressure on the rookies far better than the myth Seibold was capable of doing...

matPORTS

Juniors
What we are about to go through over the next 12 months is what the Titans have been going through this year (we are essentially a year behind them at the moment).

We do need to find a prop or two (be it JO or anyone else) who have some potential upside (so I don't mean buying plodders) who is likely to buy into the attitude and culture that Hook wants to create.

We need to be patient with those currently on our books (probably not going to be much choice in this respect anyway), who are all in desperate need of a re-fresh under a new coach (I'd say Holbrook has done a good job of this with the Titans this year).

Then maybe next year when some more quality players come onto the market, we can put ourselves into a position to be a chance of snaring a prized signature (like what the Titans have done by getting Fifita).

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I have the belief that Hook will get us a signing or 2 in the forward stocks that are currently not available on the market. His interview on NRL 360 said as much, it is amazing who comes on the market if you ask the right questions to the right people.
Glad you mentioned this...was going to bring it up myself...as long as we dont pay overs for journeymen then will be interesting to see who he comes up with