What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 19 vs Newcastle

ChocOConnor

Juniors
Ah someone please tell me how are we (The club) supposed to work out if a player is cut out for grade if they are not given a go. Totally baffling me.

We had the previous moron state about certain players why they were picked and his reply was “they do what is required during the week to be chosen and don’t ask why”.

So he basically wants yes men.

Now I would never put DY in the low levels of the previous moron but it seems like he was also part of the problem. But as the media says he says the right things so he should be the coach moving forward.

Let me just say griffin may not be the best coach but the second that moron left I said to a mate if we can’t get Bellamy I would like Griffin just like one Brian Smith he will spot talent and use them if he things they ready.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m a bit the opposite..

Once the season was officially cooked, young blooded Ramsey.

This week he’s blooding Feagai.

I hope that next week we see another.

Let’s face it, if we sent half our under 21s side into first grade in one go like everyone seems to want, we’d get slaughtered.

And then suddenly the masses would turn on the prospects like they’ve done with Saab.

Even with Aiken out, it’s not the most sensible move to play Feagai at starting centre for his first game. Plenty of top grade centres (and even 2nd rowers) make their debuts on the wing.

And let’s face it, would Periera or Ramsay make a better starting centre than Williame?

redv13

Bench
I’m a bit the opposite..

Let’s face it, if we sent half our under 21s side into first grade in one go like everyone seems to want, we’d get slaughtered.

And then suddenly the masses would turn on the prospects like they’ve done with Saab.

Even with Aiken out, it’s not the most sensible move to play Feagai at starting centre for his first game. Plenty of top grade centres (and even 2nd rowers) make their debuts on the wing.

And let’s face it, would Periera or Ramsay make a better starting centre than Williame?
What is achieved if Feagai sits on the bench and say gets a token 10 min run at the end of the game??

redv13

Bench
We are the only club that is hesitant to give these kids a crack and it’s bullshit. Feagai gets named in jersey 17 to make his debut, a centre ( hallelujah) pulls out and this interim moron slides Williame in to replace EA. Then pulls the bullshit like “ he’s only there for cover for an injury to an outside back and if he gets a run it won’t be for long etc. No other club would pull this shit and it bloody typifies just exactly how poorly run a club we have become since Bennett left

ALSGI

Bench
The funny thing is this is the game the Dragons win tomorrow.
When nothing matters and all is gone they'll put in a big showing and beat a top 8 team.
Dragons win.
Hope you’re right Crush - certainly sounds like Dragons logic.

Huge game for Knights at home and looking for some confidence after being flogged last week by Chooks. They play in form Titans away next week so this game is huge, mainly to get them into some form because they’ll still end up 6th to 8th regardless.

Like you said we have nothing to play for, except the new coach watching very closely. I’m feeling this is going to be a grind to start with and we’ll get away from them in the end for an upset.

Looking forward to seeing Ford, Fui, Ellis show Griffin something in the Forwards. Tariq, Vaughan to lead the way and Kerr Lawrie coming in fresh off the bench. Haven’t been excited about Friz for ages but he might tear his new club a new one.

Hunt and Cam back to their rightful positions with Norman playing for a new coach that has dropped him in the past. Cant wait to see Ramsay again and also looking forward to seeing Williame again and seeing if JP goes better without EA. Obviously, excited about seeing Max play but aren’t expecting much time given to him by Young.

Dragons comfortably in the end.

Knights will have lost their last 3 games before the finals.

Last edited:

I'm Hornby

Juniors
I’m a bit the opposite..

I'm not sure how wanting a promising junior to get more than a 5 minute run is the equivalent of wanting half the under 20s team to replace the first grade team, mate. You seem to be drawing a very long bow with that conclusion.

Every great player starts out as a rookie and the only way to truly judge whether or not a player belongs in first grade is to give them a fair go, which I would say as a back line player is an 80 minute game and as a forward is at least 25-30 mins.

The consistent approach taken by Mary and DY has been to put a debutant on the bench and give them 5-10 mins of game time, there have been a few exceptions, but that's all.

How can we install a sense of belief and confidence in our young guns if we only give them 5 mins and 5 games in between to try and impress? All it does is make them feel undervalued and by doing so, encourages them to look elsewhere for opportunities.

hazzbeen

Bench
I'm not sure how wanting a promising junior to get more than a 5 minute run is the equivalent of wanting half the under 20s team to replace the first grade team, mate. You seem to be drawing a very long bow with that conclusion.

Every great player starts out as a rookie and the only way to truly judge whether or not a player belongs in first grade is to give them a fair go, which I would say as a back line player is an 80 minute game and as a forward is at least 25-30 mins.

The consistent approach taken by Mary and DY has been to put a debutant on the bench and give them 5-10 mins of game time, there have been a few exceptions, but that's all.

How can we install a sense of belief and confidence in our young guns if we only give them 5 mins and 5 games in between to try and impress? All it does is make them feel undervalued and by doing so, encourages them to look elsewhere for opportunities.
Well said mate , or they come on with 10 min to go and we are 30 behind and they drop a ball and get blamed for the loss, then you don't see them again for a year ......

hazzbeen

Bench
Exactly mate and then we see them at another club playing well and we wonder how we lost them.
Yea that's how it goes , playing Dragon's Footy .... I'm happy that there is a clean up through the club , and glad that Young is going also , for the clubs sake and his ..... Looks like Young's nose is out of joint , he thought he was going to get the job ..... Thank the F**K he didn't , the first couple of loses he would have been under pressure all round ....

Youngy has excelled himself by picking the worst combination of players possible,injuries notwithstanding,

Williame has not played since Round 4. If you're going to finally punt Aitken why would you not either give Feagai his debut or move Fuimaono to the centres? Ford was a turnstile last week defending on the edge and now he is named as a middle forward, where he is in no way likely to plug the holes in our Swiss cheese defense. Unless Host is injured he should be somewhere in this 17. He's been an effective defender and consistently makes good yards. Maybe that's not what we're about...

And the prospect of seeing the Norman/Hunt halves "combination" go around again hardly fills me with optimism. No sign of Sailor - who has played his heart out when given the chance - and the token selection of Blacker and Sullivan (neither of whom Young would have any intention of playing) on the extended bench is just plain insulting to both of them and all of us.

Roll on 2021.

Old Timer

Coach
I’m a bit the opposite..

How Illawarra’ish can you get lol

The rising 28 year old journeyman and 4 game veteran of the club recovering from injury is somehow seen as a better option than the youth we just heralded to all and sundry after extending his contract due to his great potential.

It must be hard for you Illawarra people to understand anything about development as you were the quintessential home of hacks and journeymen and of course late development players like Mc Gregor.

Blooding the kid means showing confidence in the fact that you think he can do a job for the team and in the case of a centre that would entail being in the run on side and not the bench where you will only get a run only if someone is hurt or f**ks up or I decide you get 5 minutes of blooding at the very end of the game.

And heaven forbid that we could ever contemplate having 2 debutants in the 1 game when we could do them so much more sensibly 1 week apart FMD talk about living in fear.

Our club needs a renaissance and it doesn’t sit in the hands of the likes of Williame & Norman.

Time to come out of the dark ages down Wollongong way and stand in the light of a new dawn.

Last edited: