What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Dean Young

I’m sorry for ranting but what a frustrating situation. It’s a what comes first chicken/egg thing.

If players can’t get their jobs done week in week out, and that’s been our problem now for many many years, then why continue to use the same players in the same ways? Why re-sign them again and again?

Ravalawa is showing improvement in some areas but not in others. Great to score near impossible tries but undermined by fluffing easy ones and spilling passes, ambling the ball back etc.

Try him at centre ffs. If only to rule it out. Give Sailor a run. Aitken should have been converted to the forwards (or let go) when it was established some time ago he doesn’t have the all round game required to excel at centre.

Pereira gives his all but is dodgy under kicks. I don’t know what you do with him. He’d be an amazing player with better hands and a touch more Basic footy smarts. Let’s face it, Dufty too. Toughness too in his case.

it was very clear what his weaknesses were even in lower grades but his defence has not improved, nor his willingness to muck in, take a hit, stay away from the sideline, run the ball hard etc.

Aitken’s hands are among the poorest I’ve seen in a top flight centre. All these guys have great attributes as players, attributes that should make them stars or at least competent players when their weaknesses are addressed properly, and improved.

How about some game time for Sailor, Blacker et al? Why hasn’t Joe Lovodua been given a minute in first grade? How come players like Fuimaono and Kerr have to play their first 20 games in 3-20 minute stints and other, less talented players get masses of game time?

It’s mystifying to see us persevere with some guys when former undervalued, underplayed Dragons are playing leading roles for other Teams. Some big teams.

Chris Lewis played a blinder for the Storm against Souths. He won a comp in lower grades with Saints and didn’t taste first grade. Kurt Mann has been the Knights’ best player across several positions. How good would he look in Aitken’s jumper right now.? How many games did he start with us? Havili, Lui, Marsters, Sele, Leilua, Field, Hutchison, Garrick, et al. All showing high competency at their clubs, all chased away from Saints due to lack of opportunity.

it serves to prove how broken Saints coaching and development systems are and how we simply must stop making soft internal appointments In order to stop the rot.

Give us an experienced coach with an eye for developing talent. Don’t give us the same shit.

One loss against a team winless in 9 games, flogged by all comers this season. Another at home to a side which trailed for 76 mins, didn’t have any luck, rub or pill.

Prior to that, two narrow wins, the latter a lucky one against this year’s worst team, who outplayed us in large patches.

Dragons have become such a Soul-less, shallow club that you can predict their losses two weeks ahead.

The loss against the Titans inevitable as soon as it was established the Parra upset gave mathematical finals hope. To make certain, players started talking openly about finals.

The Cowboys loss entirely predictable from the point Saints were universally backed for an easy win by pundits and those pedalling the myth that we have been ‘in good form’ and ‘doing ok the past month’.

These are the same fools pushing Dean Young’s case. This guy’s loyalty and commitment is unimpeachable but to insist in his suitability to lead the club on any rationale is to believe in goblins and elves.

There’s plenty of insight available. No improvement In the team since becoming an assistant, especially not in his area of concern, attack.

No line to be drawn from any of his coaching. When co-coaching the most talented bunch of juniors the club has produced since 2007, his team failed to live up to title-favourite tag, choking to an unfancied side in the prelim.

No discernible signs of being able to motivate a team with a wafer-thin ethos of ‘focus points’ and a three-pronged philosophy that should be a given for any footy team from under 8’s.

As unqualified as McGregor was in reality. For two of three on the shortlist to be unqualified rookies, after the damage wrought by a decade of unproven rookies with mediocre track records is a sad, sad indictment of those in charge at the club.

If dysfunction was a prerequisite for success the Dragons would be a global sports leader.

There’s no news on Wane because prior success ruled him out of contention. Was he even considered? Two years ago Tony Smith was approached. Was he even considered this time? Was Paul Green sounded out? He’s still available. Of the rookies available, Kevin Walters and Todd Payten have shown demonstrable ability as motivators and one is still a free agent.

This has hardly been an exhaustive process.

Rudderless and bereft of leadership on and off field. Zero confidence of a sensible coaching appointment being made. If Young is appointed it will herald a new low in a club setting records in new lows.

Dragon David

First Grade
Only a few weeks ago we were ecstatic when Mary finished up. Today, we are still feeling the same pains as we were feeling when Mary was our coach.

What we are supposed to be feeling excited about is now a feeling of dread.

The same shit is because Young has been in the system for too long that wasn't and hasn't been working and playing guys that generally have not produced.

A complete change is required - an outside coach who has very high standards not necessarily the same as those criteria the BOD has set down, players wanting to play and give it their all for the club, quick and strong wingers, a fast and good defending centre and bloody big props who do not take a backward step and can off load at will.

Fullback needs to be fast, willing to bust tackles and take high balls without any fear and be able to back up continuously. Edge forwards strong in running and defence and lock - bigger and stronger to cover tackle and link with outside men.

Halves to be game breakers and match winners.

I'm not asking for too much am I?

boardlumps62

Juniors
Only a few weeks ago we were ecstatic when Mary finished up. Today, we are still feeling the same pains as we were feeling when Mary was our coach.

What we are supposed to be feeling excited about is now a feeling of dread.

The same shit is because Young has been in the system for too long that wasn't and hasn't been working and playing guys that generally have not produced.

A complete change is required - an outside coach who has very high standards not necessarily the same as those criteria the BOD has set down, players wanting to play and give it their all for the club, quick and strong wingers, a fast and good defending centre and bloody big props who do not take a backward step and can off load at will.

Fullback needs to be fast, willing to bust tackles and take high balls without any fear and be able to back up continuously. Edge forwards strong in running and defence and lock - bigger and stronger to cover tackle and link with outside men.

Halves to be game breakers and match winners.

I'm not asking for too much am I?
That's exactly what we need to develop. So Dufty was what when he was a junior "IN THE HALVES" So he was developed into a Fullback but did they think at 20 years of age he was going to keep growing. That's what is needed ID the juniors and have a look at their mother and father maybe their grandparents to see if they are Duck Arses. Hook sign me up please.

Forster Dragon

Juniors
WOW just thinking our inept Board was actually considering Dean Young as a replacement for the worst Coach in Dragons history.
Based on the rubbish dished up since Mary left I think DY does not have the credentials to even be considered for the Assistants position.
We have certainly dodged a bullet with this one.

thebigredv

First Grade
bring Mary back . pizz off young :D

Just because Young can't manage a team of players doesn't make Mary someone we want anywhere near our club.

It's important we finish the year with a but of pride, with a semblance of a competitive rugby league team, but obviously that is too much to offer the fans.

Don't care who is coach next year, some of these players are so soft both in the flesh and particularly in their heads.

Banjo2014

Juniors
FURNER AND YOUNG INTERVIEWS

Saints are the greatest and proudest club ever
I know the formula to turn them around next year
We can blood the juniors and have a successful year
Bla bla bla bla bla

Sorry Deano we are going to give the job to Griffo - f**k you guys I'm off to Townsville
Sorry Furno we are going to give the job to Griffin - f**k you guys I'm off to Belmore

Sorry for swearing

possm

Coach
I’m sorry for ranting but what a frustrating situation. It’s a what comes first chicken/egg thing.

If players can’t get their jobs done week in week out, and that’s been our problem now for many many years, then why continue to use the same players in the same ways? Why re-sign them again and again?

Ravalawa is showing improvement in some areas but not in others. Great to score near impossible tries but undermined by fluffing easy ones and spilling passes, ambling the ball back etc.

Try him at centre ffs. If only to rule it out. Give Sailor a run. Aitken should have been converted to the forwards (or let go) when it was established some time ago he doesn’t have the all round game required to excel at centre.

Pereira gives his all but is dodgy under kicks. I don’t know what you do with him. He’d be an amazing player with better hands and a touch more Basic footy smarts. Let’s face it, Dufty too. Toughness too in his case.

it was very clear what his weaknesses were even in lower grades but his defence has not improved, nor his willingness to muck in, take a hit, stay away from the sideline, run the ball hard etc.

Aitken’s hands are among the poorest I’ve seen in a top flight centre. All these guys have great attributes as players, attributes that should make them stars or at least competent players when their weaknesses are addressed properly, and improved.

How about some game time for Sailor, Blacker et al? Why hasn’t Joe Lovodua been given a minute in first grade? How come players like Fuimaono and Kerr have to play their first 20 games in 3-20 minute stints and other, less talented players get masses of game time?

It’s mystifying to see us persevere with some guys when former undervalued, underplayed Dragons are playing leading roles for other Teams. Some big teams.

Chris Lewis played a blinder for the Storm against Souths. He won a comp in lower grades with Saints and didn’t taste first grade. Kurt Mann has been the Knights’ best player across several positions. How good would he look in Aitken’s jumper right now.? How many games did he start with us? Havili, Lui, Marsters, Sele, Leilua, Field, Hutchison, Garrick, et al. All showing high competency at their clubs, all chased away from Saints due to lack of opportunity.

it serves to prove how broken Saints coaching and development systems are and how we simply must stop making soft internal appointments In order to stop the rot.

Give us an experienced coach with an eye for developing talent. Don’t give us the same shit.
To think that many thought that Young would make a good head coach. It was a mistake to make him the interim coach as it is now history that he like a lot of others at the club, aren't really interested in the best for SGI, they are interested in what is best for themselves.

Mjab

Juniors
No valid experience
No positive prior results
Mentored by a peanut

you shouldn’t get to be an NRL coach , just because u want to be

we can see what happens over the last 4-5 weeks when u put that in charge

Glad he has left the club as wasn’t offering us anything from a coaching perspective

Gareth67

First Grade
did you see the bulldogs v rabbits game, That's whats needed, REAL fighting spirit , never backing down, a massive team effort for 81minz from the whole 17 players
you want me to show the highlights video, in case you missed it

Exactly that blue bags - that fighting , never say die attitude. It has been missing now for years . Every other team in the competition has it to a degree , some more than others , but you can never truly be sure about a result these days as each team does have that ability to pull off a surprise win over their more fancied rival .

Except the Dragons. We are the easy-beats of the NRL .

With the utmost respect to both Newtown and North Sydney , the Dragons are comparable to both of those clubs in their darkest days .

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
I was a child of the 90s and those days were glorious. Not one premiership but we competed every week and saw lots of success, and many a player play with a passion for the red v. How am I meant to get my kids to take a genuine interest in this club and carry on the red v tradition of the family? Look at Frizzell go chase success with a new club for no other reason than he wants to win. We've never been a loser club until the last couple years. Our future will be at stake before we know it.

Latest posts