What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd19: Parra v Brisbane GAME DAY thread (18/9/20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Would you prefer W.Smith in halves? Field offers nothing imo

I like what Smith has brought off the bench the past 2 weeks. I don't think he'd be doing much more than what Field currently is, if he was in the halves.

It seems like we've only got 2 more games with Brown out of the side, I'm happy to stick with our side for those 2 games.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

yep that’s the biggest problem with our attack at the moment and it is starting from the middle.

yeah Moses is going sideways to much but he is also getting the ball from someone also going sideways to much. Thus putting pressure on Moses to find room.

it seems our passes ( generally from the “block plays” or middles ) to push wide are to deep (Paulo / Nrown do it). We need to play more “flat” / straighter.

Also Moses is running the ball ok, he generally straightens up when he runs - but he rarely passes if he does.

He also needs to get the ball closer to the posts, think run first before feeding gutho. Drive into the line a bit before passing. The backline is getting it to close to the side line. Also it creates room for the edges to “make” decisions in some space.

Paulo/Nrown need to run straight, they are thinking pass before running. It creates no space

etc etc. etc

it’s nothing to major but think it may need an off season to fix

Also Moses needs to fix his kicking game. It’s been pretty poor.

Yeah we've got the ball-playing ability wider if Moses played more like Dyl, Matterson is a former half and there's Gutho sweeping around the back. So it isn't as if the ball isn't going to reach our centre or winger once it leaves Moses' hands.

I think Moses' long kicking game is being stifled due to our lack of metres from our backs. Gutho and Fergo generally get good metres and good play the balls but that's only 1, maybe 2 out of the 3-4 rucks that backs are taking. If we were making more metres on plays 1-3 Moses would be able to kick earlier in the count when the wingers haven't dropped back. Whereas we're having to wait until the last to kick every time so there's pretty much no space.

I'm not sure what is wrong with his short kicking game. I'd like to see more of a mix for our cross field kicks to the RHS, the target is always Waqa for the bat back. With the new rules preventing opposition players tackling attacking players in the air we should be trying to land the ball closer to the goal line for both Blakes

yy_cheng

Coach
[QUOTE="Obscene Assassin, post: 14352583, member:]

It seems like we've only got 2 more games with Brown out of the side, I'm happy to stick with our side for those 2 games.[/QUOTE]
I think differently. Its the last game to try matto or taka in the case dyl doesnt make it back

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I still dont get it. This is not a Storm-like judo move that Jnr went in with. Jnr just tackled him at the hips. Contest it. We have until midday today to lodge our plea.

As Freddy implied in that commentary, they need to reduce the numbers in the tackle. I think the only way to do this is to reduce the incentive, which would require significant overhaul of the rules.

Why do defences want to get numbers into tackles? Because most of the time the attack aims to get a quick play-the-ball rather than any other outcome. A genuine quick play-the-ball usually means every remaining tackle in that set is easy metres for the attack, and massive pressure on the defence. Defenders aren't doing their job if they allow quick play-the-balls. The only way past this is to stop quick play-the-balls being such a disadvantage to the defence. Here are some options, but they would all make things less 'pure' which would ruin the game for plenty of merkins:

Reduce the 10 metres (the requirement for defenders to retreat so far is the reason tackling has evolved to include wrestling)
Reduce the number of players on the field (when there is more space there is less need to try and force the defence to make a mistake)
Reduce the tackle count (with fewer consecutive tackles to defend there are fewer tackles where the defence is under pressure following a quick play-the-ball, effectively meaning a reduced 'punishment' of any roll on)

Another option is to increase the cost to defences of having numbers in the tackle. A simple solution here is to remove markers altogether, so that the more tacklers involved the more defenders are offside in the following play. But this would require rules to prevent 'up-and-dump' footy where the attack just exploits retreating defenders. Solving that gets pretty messy and would fundamentally change the game. The purists would turn in their graves.

hindy111

Post Whore
I like what Smith has brought off the bench the past 2 weeks. I don't think he'd be doing much more than what Field currently is, if he was in the halves.

It seems like we've only got 2 more games with Brown out of the side, I'm happy to stick with our side for those 2 games.

I hope Browns OK for first week of finals.

hindy111

Post Whore
Keary threw an identical (silly) ball over Topou's head last night.........

Moses can be brilliant. I thought he might be best half in game this year. He went backwards. Of course he can return to form of last season....

Status
Not open for further replies.