What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 - Squad, Signings, Re-signings

Inisai Toga

Juniors
You have expounded well here Forbes. Where did all the skills and abilities and combinations and back-up go? McGregor and his merry men ambushed our players to play submissively in the end. Come on Hooksy, get the players out of the woods and lead them on their march to glory once again.
Because showing skills goes with risk and McGregor wanted to play formulae football: reduce any risk and you win games. We ended up playing so defensively that players lost the psychological safety in offering any creativity out there. Even the eighty minutes from a Grand Final comment masked the poor performance we had leading up to the semis. We were deadset lucky to get there and some bought into a false sense of security .

Dragonslayer

First Grade
With 1 game remaining for 2020 our attention must now turn and focus on our recruitrment. Unfortunately, our game today was no advertisement for any prospective signings to even want to come to us, at any price.

As far as I see it we should be looking at;

Backs:
Fullback
Left centre
Left wing

Forwards:
Props x2
Right Edge forward
Lock

Halves:
Both

Whilst some of these positions can be filled from within, especially in the backs and halves, it's tge forwards that need the most attention.

I hope the rumour surrounding Joe O is correct, that would be a good step forward. As far as lock is concerned, I'd serioulsly look at Asiata and play him lock and move JDB (if cleared) to prop.

So, my preferences for recruitement, at this stage would be: Joe O and Asiata.

Maddragon99

Juniors
With 1 game remaining for 2020 our attention must now turn and focus on our recruitrment. Unfortunately, our game today was no advertisement for any prospective signings to even want to come to us, at any price.

As far as I see it we should be looking at;

Backs:
Fullback
Left centre
Left wing

Forwards:
Props x2
Right Edge forward
Lock

Halves:
Both

Whilst some of these positions can be filled from within, especially in the backs and halves, it's tge forwards that need the most attention.

I hope the rumour surrounding Joe O is correct, that would be a good step forward. As far as lock is concerned, I'd serioulsly look at Asiata and play him lock and move JDB (if cleared) to prop.

So, my preferences for recruitement, at this stage would be: Joe O and Asiata.

Joe O: tick
Josh McGuire: tick
Asiata: cross too small

The club won’t recruit further until after the JdB trail because they have already come to terms with Jack so there’s an allowance for him salary.

After today I have a bad feeling both Lawrie & Ford are frauds.I think we’ve over hyped them. Josh Kerr didn’t impress me either. Paul Vaughan hasn’t had a great year but he’ll improve next year under Hook. He’s got another 2 years to run on his contract so we need him to lift. Kaide Ellis has impressed me but he remains unsigned. Not sure about Jacob Host either.

Our pack lacks both mongrel in defence & skill in attack. hardly any offloading and therefore no second phase play for our speedy backs.

It was a tough game to watch today given it was a term we’ve always played well against.

Talk of Host going to Souths.

Ford is a keeper, at his best he’ll run all day but you can’t expect kids like this to lead the way in the middle after 10 or 12 games. That’s all kinds of wrong.

Lawrie must get fitter and sharper but he is tough and I expect Griffin is bound to like him.

Vaughan and Sims must start to justify their salaries and I’m certain Griffin will not tolerate the insipid campaigns they’ve had in recent seasons. It’ll be perform or piss off, these guys are key forwards.

Kerr just needs to be told, hold the ball, run hard. He could be a tearaway in the right hands but he also must improve defensively.

There is no doubt we are short a couple of experienced middle forwards and an attacking back tower.

Angus Crichton would be an upgrade on Frizell as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think the Chooks would stand in his way. Garner is another.

Props, I’d be happy with either of the Saifiti brothers, Eisenhuth from the Tigers, Addin Fonua Blake although he’s possibly too much of a madman, and Josh McGuire might be a good fit after all.

I don’t like Joe O as much. Ive seen him let in as many soft tries as any of our forwards this year.

Tom Flegler will be a champion forward IMO but I doubt the Broncos would be dumb enough to let him go.

getsmarty

Immortal
We need 3 tough nut forwards ala Rudolph/Collins/Taumololo etc....As Wayne said before he came..We have a Soft underbelly...He bought in Weyman/Costigan/J.Smith....

We need some enforcers in our pack...Our defensive line needs a total overhaul...Unbelievable how long mcGregor was allowed to de-skill the side.

Maddragon99

Juniors
Talk of Host going to Souths.

Ford is a keeper, at his best he’ll run all day but you can’t expect kids like this to lead the way in the middle after 10 or 12 games. That’s all kinds of wrong.

Lawrie must get fitter and sharper but he is tough and I expect Griffin is bound to like him.

Vaughan and Sims must start to justify their salaries and I’m certain Griffin will not tolerate the insipid campaigns they’ve had in recent seasons. It’ll be perform or piss off, these guys are key forwards.

Kerr just needs to be told, hold the ball, run hard. He could be a tearaway in the right hands but he also must improve defensively.

There is no doubt we are short a couple of experienced middle forwards and an attacking back tower.

Angus Crichton would be an upgrade on Frizell as far as I’m concerned. I don’t think the Chooks would stand in his way. Garner is another.

Props, I’d be happy with either of the Saifiti brothers, Eisenhuth from the Tigers, Addin Fonua Blake although he’s possibly too much of a madman, and Josh McGuire might be a good fit after all.

I don’t like Joe O as much. Ive seen him let in as many soft tries as any of our forwards this year.

Tom Flegler will be a champion forward IMO but I doubt the Broncos would be dumb enough to let him go.

I wrote this article today it will be published in the press on Monday;

I thought the game against Canberra last week was hard to watch but this weeks game against Newcastle was one of the worst performances in the Joint Venture era. Newcastle have their own deficiencies which is why they didn’t put on 50+ points. The Dragons have never lost the McKinnon cup before. A very telling statistic.

A few things became obvious to me on Sunday;

- When the rumour broke last week of the Dragons interest in Josh McGuire there were some in the Dragon faithful who said no! He’s a grub! But the Dragons desperately need some mongrel up the middle. Teams know the Dragons are soft so they keep charging up the middle and they keep scoring try’s. Our pack doesn’t have a leader. Paul Vaughan has disengaged at a time when we really need him the most. I’m genuinely concerned about Blake Lawrie and Jackson Ford maybe they are just not up to it? Perhaps we’ve over hyped them? Anthony Griffin needs to recruit at least 2 or 3 new hard nut forwards to toughen us up. The current pack is a joke. Perhaps we will get Jack de Belin back which would be awesome but otherwise Griffin needs to recruit forwards number one priority.

- Kalyn Ponga will not have a long career in the NRL he’s going to get bashed out of the game by continued concussions. He’s brave and takes on the line but he’s targeted. Over time it’ll catch up with him. Newcastle’s Premiership window is smaller than what people think.

- All the hype around the Dragons youth coming through is real. All faith has to be placed in Griffin to develop them in 2021.Ramsey is an obvious fire cracker. Max Feagai looked right at home in first grade. Hopefully Max gets a longer run next week against Melbourne.

- Brayden Williame & Tyrell Fuimaono are jokes, total duds. This is what happens when Ian Millward is left unsupervised with money to spend. Hopefully Griffen will stop these antics. Thankfully both are out of contract next year so all parties can move on.

- Ben Hunt had an opportunity to make a statement at 7 but he failed. I only remember him taking on the line once in the first half otherwise he was only catching and passing. Even under Griffin surely Adam Clune deserves to be the starting 7? We need a bigger body at 13 so that puts McInnes to 9 and Hunt at 14 or out the team. Just because Hunt is on so much money that shouldn’t guarantee him a starting spot in the side regardless of form.

- Norman looked better against Newcastle his passing and running game was an improvement. Perhaps Griffin can get something out of him next year. With Ben Hunt being such a bust it’d be great to get more production out of Norman in 2021 while Jayden Sullivan spends time developing in Canterbury Cup.

- Lomax is absolute class, our best players in 2020 & one of the better players in the NRL. Still so young with his best years ahead of him. Future Origin rep without doubt. If Lomax misses out on Origin this year I hope he at least gets brought in to the extended squad for experience.

- Matt Dufty feeling some pressure from Cody Ramsey which is causing him to lift his game. Ramsey I think is quicker and more rounded than Dufty it’ll be fun watching those two fight it out next year.

-Any lingering doubts fans might have had about Dean Young missing out on the top job to Anthony Griffin should now be put to rest. The Dragons were a rabble against the Raiders and worse against the Knights and other than changes necessitated by injury the team selections were uninspired. Blood the Youth Dean, leave a coaching legacy behind you. We all know the Dragons are going to get smashed next week against Melbourne so at least take some positives from it and blood more youth. If Williame and Fuimaono are picked again to I’ll refuse to watch the game.

In Hook we trust.

Walpole

Juniors
I would only have two players locked in for next year. Lomax at centre and McInnes at hooker.

Everyone else is playing for their spot in the trials. Hunt plays halfback or nowhere. Most of the forwards need to start eating some raw meat or get a new job.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I would only have two players locked in for next year. Lomax at centre and McInnes at hooker.

Everyone else is playing for their spot in the trials. Hunt plays halfback or nowhere. Most of the forwards need to start eating some raw meat or get a new job.
13.JDB
10.Vaughan
9.Mcinnes
5.Ramsey or 1
4.Lomax
This is my side so far, Vaughan on thin ice but he’s our best prop on paper needs a big off season. Ramsey has shown me he’s worth sticking with like we have Lomax.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Struggling to see how we can continue with both Hunt and McInnes! Unfortunately, i believe that both players best position is the Hooker position. Despite his efforts, i am not a fan of the McIness at lock experiment; with our lightweight and 'green" pack, i feel we lose a lot of power playing him there.

However, Hunt's decision making under pressure at halfback is average. Whilst both are defensive sound, pushed, i personally favour Hunt as the Hooker, as i feel that he offers greater creativity in that position.

The way it's playing itself currently its difficult to see how they can accommodate both in the same side, unless of course we develop a more powerful pack of forwards between now and the start of the 2021 and then Hunt could then possibly take greater advantage behind a better pack of forwards from the half position. Tricky!

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints are honestly playing like they can't wait to get the season over and done with which is scary because with a new coach coming you would think that they would lift to impress but they are doing the total opposite. If they want to play to get sold next year then they are doing a good job. Maybe they are not to keen on Griffin coming.

Kade Ellis would know something about Griffin's time at his old club.

Something is seriously going on which is hard to put a finger on it.

possm

Coach
I too am warming to Hook more and more.

For the whole post-Bennett era a constant frustration has been how poorly we execute the basics and how we defend (even setting aside the lack of intimidation). If Hook can improve these things, even with the current troops we will move up the ladder.
I'm not interested in us keeping players with the aim of moving a few rungs up the ladder. We have been wasting season with this mediocre thinking. It is time to clean out these loafers and bring in players who will put in the effort.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I'm not interested in us keeping players with the aim of moving a few rungs up the ladder. We have been wasting season with this mediocre thinking. It is time to clean out these loafers and bring in players who will put in the effort.

The questions here are, who is available and who wants to come here?
Our game yesterday was no advertisement for any prospective target.

Griffin had drawn up a prospective 30 hit list, I wonder how many have already been struck off it even at this early stage?

There's a lot of work to do with our team over the next couple of months. Griffim is at least a good HC appointment, the next is his general.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Saints are honestly playing like they can't wait to get the season over and done with which is scary because with a new coach coming you would think that they would lift to impress but they are doing the total opposite. If they want to play to get sold next year then they are doing a good job. Maybe they are not to keen on Griffin coming.

Kade Ellis would know something about Griffin's time at his old club.

Something is seriously going on which is hard to put a finger on it.
Agree, thought Manly were the same. Not interested at all. Must admire the Warriors and the effort they’ve put in this difficult year.

Last edited:

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I wrote this article today it will be published in the press on Monday;

I thought the game against Canberra last week was hard to watch but this weeks game against Newcastle was one of the worst performances in the Joint Venture era. Newcastle have their own deficiencies which is why they didn’t put on 50+ points. The Dragons have never lost the McKinnon cup before. A very telling statistic.

A few things became obvious to me on Sunday;

- When the rumour broke last week of the Dragons interest in Josh McGuire there were some in the Dragon faithful who said no! He’s a grub! But the Dragons desperately need some mongrel up the middle. Teams know the Dragons are soft so they keep charging up the middle and they keep scoring try’s. Our pack doesn’t have a leader. Paul Vaughan has disengaged at a time when we really need him the most. I’m genuinely concerned about Blake Lawrie and Jackson Ford maybe they are just not up to it? Perhaps we’ve over hyped them? Anthony Griffin needs to recruit at least 2 or 3 new hard nut forwards to toughen us up. The current pack is a joke. Perhaps we will get Jack de Belin back which would be awesome but otherwise Griffin needs to recruit forwards number one priority.

- Kalyn Ponga will not have a long career in the NRL he’s going to get bashed out of the game by continued concussions. He’s brave and takes on the line but he’s targeted. Over time it’ll catch up with him. Newcastle’s Premiership window is smaller than what people think.

- All the hype around the Dragons youth coming through is real. All faith has to be placed in Griffin to develop them in 2021.Ramsey is an obvious fire cracker. Max Feagai looked right at home in first grade. Hopefully Max gets a longer run next week against Melbourne.

- Brayden Williame & Tyrell Fuimaono are jokes, total duds. This is what happens when Ian Millward is left unsupervised with money to spend. Hopefully Griffen will stop these antics. Thankfully both are out of contract next year so all parties can move on.

- Ben Hunt had an opportunity to make a statement at 7 but he failed. I only remember him taking on the line once in the first half otherwise he was only catching and passing. Even under Griffin surely Adam Clune deserves to be the starting 7? We need a bigger body at 13 so that puts McInnes to 9 and Hunt at 14 or out the team. Just because Hunt is on so much money that shouldn’t guarantee him a starting spot in the side regardless of form.

- Norman looked better against Newcastle his passing and running game was an improvement. Perhaps Griffin can get something out of him next year. With Ben Hunt being such a bust it’d be great to get more production out of Norman in 2021 while Jayden Sullivan spends time developing in Canterbury Cup.

- Lomax is absolute class, our best players in 2020 & one of the better players in the NRL. Still so young with his best years ahead of him. Future Origin rep without doubt. If Lomax misses out on Origin this year I hope he at least gets brought in to the extended squad for experience.

- Matt Dufty feeling some pressure from Cody Ramsey which is causing him to lift his game. Ramsey I think is quicker and more rounded than Dufty it’ll be fun watching those two fight it out next year.

-Any lingering doubts fans might have had about Dean Young missing out on the top job to Anthony Griffin should now be put to rest. The Dragons were a rabble against the Raiders and worse against the Knights and other than changes necessitated by injury the team selections were uninspired. Blood the Youth Dean, leave a coaching legacy behind you. We all know the Dragons are going to get smashed next week against Melbourne so at least take some positives from it and blood more youth. If Williame and Fuimaono are picked again to I’ll refuse to watch the game.

In Hook we trust.

Yes- hard to go past Merrin (and to a lesser extent Williame) as the two most pointless SGI recruits for 2020. Surely the rule has to be, if a player has moved from the NRL to play in the ESL, they are EXTREMELY unlikely to come back a better player.

boardlumps62

Juniors
Don't ask me a performance like that mean a lot of things. Hope the new coach can sort it out. We lost the first half but square in second half.
So the ref f**ked the game which is probably true.