What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd19 2020 Non Parra games - Women in league round

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
That is exactly right.
Some of their decisions are bewildering, but on the most part, I think they get the majority correct.
There would be a lot more human error if we just left it to the on field referees without the bunker.
It's why we brought it in in the first place.

I've always thought that the head of referees and head of football, whoever they are at the time, should be the ones in the bunker. Changing the people in the bunker every game is still going to give you different interpretations. Having the same 2 people in there for every game should alleviate some of those problems.

Suitman

Post Whore
I've always thought that the head of referees and head of football, whoever they are at the time, should be the ones in the bunker. Changing the people in the bunker every game is still going to give you different interpretations. Having the same 2 people in there for every game should alleviate some of those problems.

Yeh, that makes sense and I agree. There needs to be consistency in decision making. The bunker would work better with the same people in there for every game, every week.
They didn't start off well having cross eyed Luke Patten in there.
It's hard enough having different referees and touchies for games. They all interpret stuff differently.
I reckon nearly every other referee would have allowed Gutherson's bat on "pass" to Ferguson the other night.
We just happened to have Perenara who has no idea.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Yeh, that makes sense and I agree. There needs to be consistency in decision making. The bunker would work better with the same people in there for every game, every week.
They didn't start off well having cross eyed Luke Patten in there.
It's hard enough having different referees and touchies for games. They all interpret stuff differently.
I reckon nearly every other referee would have allowed Gutherson's bat on "pass" to Ferguson the other night.
We just happened to have Perenara who has no idea.

The thing that annoys me about that perenara decision was that he didn't blow his whistle until Fergo was about 2m out from the line, him blowing his whistle had no impact on the centre being able to come across. If he had concerns with the play he could have easily let it play on, like his touchie wanted him to, then gone to the bunker and sent it up as no try.

Suitman

Post Whore
The thing that annoys me about that perenara decision was that he didn't blow his whistle until Fergo was about 2m out from the line, him blowing his whistle had no impact on the centre being able to come across. If he had concerns with the play he could have easily let it play on, like his touchie wanted him to, then gone to the bunker and sent it up as no try.

The issue with that is that the bunker can't rule on forward passes. Which is what I believe he called it. So he couldn't have sent it up stairs for that. He royally f**ked up and admitted it afterwards. He's just incompetent.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
The issue with that is that the bunker can't rule on forward passes. Which is what I believe he called it. So he couldn't have sent it up stairs for that. He royally f**ked up and admitted it afterwards. He's just incompetent.

Nah, he said from the time he sent it up "I've ruled a knock on from the Eels, they're challenging the knock on...okay?". I always saw them much like bat backs on kicks, it's basically the same action.

Suitman

Post Whore
Nah, he said from the time he sent it up "I've ruled a knock on from the Eels, they're challenging the knock on...okay?". I always saw them much like bat backs on kicks, it's basically the same action.

Oh, I agree with your interpretation of the bat back.
But I'm sure I heard him say he'd made a mistake when he was challenged on the decision by El Capitain Gutho?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Oh, I agree with your interpretation of the bat back.
But I'm sure I heard him say he'd made a mistake when he was challenged on the decision by El Capitain Gutho?

I've got the game on so these are Henry's words verbatim "It's my mistake, alright listen, I've called a knock on...okay...alright, and that's why it was challenged because it was a tip on so we can challenge that because it's not a pass, okay? I've ruled it a knock on" Gutho "so it's a try?" Henry "It's not a try because I've blown my whistle, okay? So that's my mistake" Gutho "well then why are you blowing that?" Henry "because I called a knock on" Gutho "that's a bad call"

After that it sort of becomes intelligible as the dimwits in the commentary box argue that a tip on/tap on is a pass.

Interestingly, Gutho says that Henry should at least give Parra 6 again. He does so on the very next tackle for I believe hands on the ball, which is never called on any other tackle despite defender's hands being constantly on the ball.

Eelementary

Post Whore

How, on God's green Earth, did Perenara see a phantom knock on in that play?

A forward pass - MAYBE.

But a knock on?

The ball:

* was in the air at all times
* never hit the ground
* did not travel from an Eel, and strike a Broncos player

The decision to deny the try based on a knock on was absolutely baffling to me.

Eelementary

Post Whore
How, on God's green Earth, did Perenara see a phantom knock on in that play?

A forward pass - MAYBE.

But a knock on?

The ball:

* was in the air at all times
* never hit the ground
* did not travel from an Eel, and strike a Broncos player

The decision to deny the try based on a knock on was absolutely baffling to me.

www.nrl.com › documentationPDF
Web results
NRL Laws & Interpretations - NRL.com

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw2M_8V7csSEEPex9F6U584T&cshid=1600605858236

SCORING A TRY
Scoring a Try
A try is scored when:
a. A player first grounds the ball in his opponents in goal
b. Opposing players simultaneously grounds the ball in the in goal area
c. A tackled player’s momentum carries him into the opponents in goal where he grounds the ball.
Grounding Grounding the Ball includes:
a. Placing the ball on the ground with hand or hands, wrist or forearm
b. Exerting a downward pressure on the ball in contact with the ground
c. Dropping on the ball and covering it with the front part of the body above the waist and below the neck.
A player who has had possession or touches/touched the ball and knocks the ball forward must regain possession (catch, hold or grip) prior to the ball hitting the ground, another player, goal post or cross bar. For the ball to be deemed grounded, pressure must be applied by the player’s fingers, hand, wrist, forearm or torso so as to create a reasonable influence on the plane of the ball including the spin, rotation, momentum or bounce.

Double Movement
A try will be awarded if: ‘a tackled player’s momentum carries him into the opponents’ in-goal where he grounds the ball even if the ball has first touched the ground in the field of play’.
In the process of scoring a try a player in possession must not promote the ball from the position the ball has been grounded.
If the momentum of the player in possession carries him into the opponents in goal area, it will not be a double movement if the ball would have finished over the goal line regardless of any subsequent movement of the ball or the arm carrying the ball.

Penalty Try
Further, if circumstances warrant it:
‘The Referee (or Review Officials) may award a penalty try if, in his opinion, a try would have been scored but for the unfair play of the defending team. A penalty try is awarded between the goal posts irrespective of where the offence occurred.’

Suitman

Post Whore
I've got the game on so these are Henry's words verbatim "It's my mistake, alright listen, I've called a knock on...okay...alright, and that's why it was challenged because it was a tip on so we can challenge that because it's not a pass, okay? I've ruled it a knock on" Gutho "so it's a try?" Henry "It's not a try because I've blown my whistle, okay? So that's my mistake" Gutho "well then why are you blowing that?" Henry "because I called a knock on" Gutho "that's a bad call"

After that it sort of becomes intelligible as the dimwits in the commentary box argue that a tip on/tap on is a pass.

Interestingly, Gutho says that Henry should at least give Parra 6 again. He does so on the very next tackle for I believe hands on the ball, which is never called on any other tackle despite defender's hands being constantly on the ball.

Well there you go.
Incompetence at it's best from our fav former player Henry.
Thanks for that.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yes, but backwards.
So what's the problem?
He just f**ked up.
If it went backwards it wasn't a knock on. Stating the obvious, but the point is if he hadn't blown the whistle and just sent it up no try for the knock on, the bunker could've overruled it (which they did). The problem was he blew the whistle instead of letting the play unfold. So the ball was dead as soon as the whistle was blown. The bunker was somehow still able to overrule the knock on call but the play had to come back to the stoppage.

Eelementary

Post Whore
It's great having a newborn eh?
You have to stay up for the late feed and get to kill time by replying on LU till the bub wakes up!!

Lol it's so true!

And he's a big boy, and eats so much - every time he feeds, our hearts are in our mouths, thinking, "Is he finally down for a decent nap?" Haha

84 Baby

Referee
I’ll defend Henry P a little (he would’ve still been wrong) because how the f**k is a tip-on not a pass?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I’ll defend Henry P a little (he would’ve still been wrong) because how the f**k is a tip-on not a pass?

I think it depends on the way you look at it. To me there's no difference between what Gutherson did and what Waqa Blake does every kick. Are all those people going up for kicks and swatting at the ball deemed a pass? For me a pass is when you're in control, what Gutho and many others do is bat the ball to give it momentum to carry on to the outside players.

I've never noticed before what refs call when they deem the ball to be propelled forward from that action so I can't use precedence in this instance.

It's still very frustrating that, if he thought it was a knock on (rightly or wrongly), he could see that Fergo was going to score as he didn't blow the whistle until he was 2m out from the line with no one in front of him. He could have let it play on, gone to the bunker and it would have been a try; this happens many other times where they think a foul has been committed. Like earlier in the game when he questioned whether the Brisbane kick chase was onside, he allowed play to continue Brisbane scored and he sent it up no try as he believed they were offside. Why in that instance did he not just call them offside straight away? Why in our instance did he call a knock on when he knows the bunker can rule on knock ons?

emjaycee

Coach
I think it depends on the way you look at it. To me there's no difference between what Gutherson did and what Waqa Blake does every kick. Are all those people going up for kicks and swatting at the ball deemed a pass? For me a pass is when you're in control, what Gutho and many others do is bat the ball to give it momentum to carry on to the outside players.

I've never noticed before what refs call when they deem the ball to be propelled forward from that action so I can't use precedence in this instance.

It's still very frustrating that, if he thought it was a knock on (rightly or wrongly), he could see that Fergo was going to score as he didn't blow the whistle until he was 2m out from the line with no one in front of him. He could have let it play on, gone to the bunker and it would have been a try; this happens many other times where they think a foul has been committed. Like earlier in the game when he questioned whether the Brisbane kick chase was onside, he allowed play to continue Brisbane scored and he sent it up no try as he believed they were offside. Why in that instance did he not just call them offside straight away? Why in our instance did he call a knock on when he knows the bunker can rule on knock ons?
EXACTLY THIS.