What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Glass Half Full Thread

emjaycee

Coach
Just as I thought. Hang on to the ball and we go a long way to winning.
I know lots of people here think BA is a shit coach, but he has had the same philosophy for a while that he has been building the team towards:.
1) complete your sets
2) defend well enough to keep the opposition to 12 points or less
It seems like when we do this we win games.

For his first few years here he was definitely trying to build that mentality into the playing group, especially improving the completion rate. Lots of complaints on here about every presser being a repeat where all he talked about was completions and errors. Last year and this year he has been more focused on defense which is why after 15 rounds we had the best defense in the comp.

It aint rocket surgery, just need the players to put in the effort in those areas and we saw last Thursday night what happens when they don't.

Gronk

Staff member
Wow the mood of this joint this morning has flipped to almost - positive !

giphy.gif

lingard

Coach
Here's our completion rate and possession throughout the year:

R1: 70/48 (won 8-2) Bulldogs completed 66%
R2: 87/65 (won 46-6) Titans completed 56%
R3: 73/61 (won 34-6) Broncos completed 60%
R4: 78/48 (won 19-16) Seagulls completed 78%
R5: 68/51 (won 16-10) Panthers completed 81%
R6: 72/48 (lost 10-24) Roosters completed 90%
R7: 83/51 (won 25-24) Raiders completed 78%
R8: 86/56 (won 42-4) Cowboys completed 71%
R9: 74/47 (won 10-4) Knights completed 71%
R10: 76/51 (lost 18-22) Seagulls completed 74%
R11: 86/56 (won 26-16) Tigers completed 73%
R12: 81/46 (won 18-16) Bulldogs completed 81%
R13: 73/48 (won 14-12) Sharks completed 71%
R14: 70/51 (lost 12-14) Dragons completed 74%
R15: 73/50 (won 14-0) Storm completed 72%
R16: 75/43 (lost 38-0) Bunnies completed 84%

So whenever we've completed above 80% we've won. In the two games we lost by more than a try the opposition completed at above 80% while we completed at 75% or less.

In the three games where we completed at 85% or higher we scored at least five tries. Interestingly, in the game with our worst completion rate we beat the Panthers.

What's it all mean?

lingard

Coach
I know lots of people here think BA is a shit coach, but he has had the same philosophy for a while that he has been building the team towards:.
1) complete your sets

For his first few years here he was definitely trying to build that mentality into the playing group, especially improving the completion rate. Lots of complaints on here about every presser being a repeat where all he talked about was completions and errors. Last year and this year he has been more focused on defense which is why after 15 rounds we had the best defense in the comp.

It aint rocket surgery, just need the players to put in the effort in those areas and we saw last Thursday night what happens when they don't.

Every coach has a philosophy. But it's a matter of being able to 'sell' your philosophy to the players. Keep them motivated and interested enough to adhere to your philosophy. And when they aren't, try to work out why. And change the message up a bit. Players can get tired of hearing the same stuff over and over and over. That's why coaches 'get stale'.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
What's it all mean?
Well given the three games since that post, the second Panthers game was an outlier much like the first. We completed above 80% and lost, and in fact completed above 85% and not only didn't score five tries, but didn't score any. However despite our high completion rate we only had 42% of the ball (our lowest of the year), which is the key statistic.

The Broncos game was business as usual.

IFR33K

Coach
1) complete your sets

not sure a single person has stated he’s a shit coach. He’s a decent one no doubt. It just seems like he’s accepting mediocrity with some of the players he’s persisting with/and their performances. He finally made a few changes and some of those said players reacted well. Some posters here have been calling for changes for some weeks, only for BA to make some changes last week. His game plans at times are questionable. The team is reluctant to attack, and at times on a hiding to nothing. Some of his signings have been absolutely bizarre. Yes he’s a decent coach, but I don’t think he can motivate the team to take them to the next level.

84 Baby

Referee
not sure a single person has stated he’s a shit coach. He’s a decent one no doubt. It just seems like he’s accepting mediocrity with some of the players he’s persisting with/and their performances. He finally made a few changes and some of those said players reacted well. Some posters here have been calling for changes for some weeks, only for BA to make some changes last week. His game plans at times are questionable. The team is reluctant to attack, and at times on a hiding to nothing. Some of his signings have been absolutely bizarre. Yes he’s a decent coach, but I don’t think he can motivate the team to take them to the next level.
Other than the non-signing of a backup hooker, which signing have been bizarre? Rankin, Field and Davey perhaps but all 3 would be near enough to minimum and even if they’ll never be regular first graders, I think 2 of them have proved themselves

IFR33K

Coach
Other than the non-signing of a backup hooker, which signing have been bizarre? Rankin, Field and Davey perhaps but all 3 would be near enough to minimum and even if they’ll never be regular first graders, I think 2 of them have proved themselves

Watmough and the 2 year extension to Jennings.

Avenger

Immortal
Never forget Foran and the clauses in his contract where he could leave at any time and we would have to pay out the contract. It’s not all Sharpie’s fault.

IFR33K

Coach
Never forget Foran and the clauses in his contract where he could leave at any time and we would have to pay out the contract. It’s not all Sharpie’s fault.

I didn’t want to mention Foran, but yeah. Many people knew of his off field issues. It’s only speculation if BA knew or not, but he once was on the manly coaching staff...

84 Baby

Referee
Watmough is well in past. Length of contract was long but.
Menko will be his own determination. I reckon we got him on unders at the moment. That may even up as he gets older but I think he’s on a significantly reduced contract from when we first signed him. I wouldn’t mind us exploring either of the Boncos centres but there isn’t a huge of quality centres at the moment, certainly not at Menko’s level if he’s on as much as I think

84 Baby

Referee
I didn’t want to mention Foran, but yeah. Many people knew of his off field issues. It’s only speculation if BA knew or not, but he once was on the manly coaching staff...
Foran wasn’t a bizarre signing. He was a gun. When he’s on the park, he still is. The fact that he is still playing show that there probably is an alternate universe where he never left the club under his dramatic circumstances

Latest posts