What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Monday Night Football - end of an era

No we do not need Monday night football. Like Thursday night football, it is a bad idea. If you want to attend the game, you have to work the next day. Further it never starts on time due to the TV networks, thus ensuring a late finish time.

Also from a competitive view point, it leads to 5 day, or less turn around times for most teams, between games on a week to week basis.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Monday night games were awesome for someone like me who can only watch games on TV.
Over a whole weekend of footy fatigue can hit in, unless its a blockbuster game and/or my team is involved I usually skip the last game. This is especially true in the Thursday night era. Monday night was great, you had all the rounds games compacted into a 48 hours time period, it kept it fresh, you go to work Monday, you get home and it was like a little bonus game to start the week. Even if it was just Titans vs Bulldogs I'd still tune

blue bags

First Grade
Monday night games were awesome for someone like me who can only watch games on TV.
Over a whole weekend of footy fatigue can hit in, unless its a blockbuster game and/or my team is involved I usually skip the last game. This is especially true in the Thursday night era. Monday night was great, you had all the rounds games compacted into a 48 hours time period, it kept it fresh, you go to work Monday, you get home and it was like a little bonus game to start the week. Even if it was just Titans vs Bulldogs I'd still tune
fully agree, bring Monday night games back , everyone loves them

Valheru

Coach
No.

Friday 7:30pm (F2A)
Saturday 2pm
Saturday 4pm
Saturday 6pm
Saturday 8pm (F2A)
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 4pm (F2A)
Sunday 6:30pm

Thursday sucks for everyone.
Friday 6pm does nothing for crowds except in NZ.

This

How hard is it.

While we are at it let's bring back meaning to the Friday night game. Growing up in the 90s and then in to the noughties it always had a big game feel. Schedule it by rewarding performance the year before. For example Penrth/parra/roosters/storm/raiders games against each other next year on a Friday night.

You will still get dud games but it would feel important.

Perth Red

Post Whore
No.

Friday 7:30pm (F2A)
Saturday 2pm
Saturday 4pm
Saturday 6pm
Saturday 8pm (F2A)
Sunday 2pm
Sunday 4pm (F2A)
Sunday 6:30pm

Thursday sucks for everyone.
Friday 6pm does nothing for crowds except in NZ.

Far too logical and we are far too reliant on TV telling us what to do for that to ever become a reality. Id change Sunday to 6 pm though so not too late a finish for fans attending.

Last Week

Bench
Far too logical and we are far too reliant on TV telling us what to do for that to ever become a reality. Id change Sunday to 6 pm though so not too late a finish for fans attending.

I made some allowance for the 9 News. Let them have free reign for that half an hour.

This

How hard is it.

While we are at it let's bring back meaning to the Friday night game. Growing up in the 90s and then in to the noughties it always had a big game feel. Schedule it by rewarding performance the year before. For example Penrth/parra/roosters/storm/raiders games against each other next year on a Friday night.

You will still get dud games but it would feel important.

As far as free to air TV is concerned for ratings, Saturday nights is "dead". It is the worst rating day, which is why they often only have rubbish on them. Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday nights are the big ratings nights where they charge a premium for advertising, which is why the networks tend to have their best programs on then.

Thus Nine, and I doubt any other free to air network, will bid for a free to air game on Saturday night in future.

Additionally, as most games take nigh on 2 hours to play already, having 4 games wall to wall like suggested is a problem if any of the first 3 go to extra time.

Valheru

Coach
As far as free to air TV is concerned for ratings, Saturday nights is "dead". It is the worst rating day, which is why they often only have rubbish on them. Thursday night, Friday night and Sunday nights are the big ratings nights where they charge a premium for advertising, which is why the networks tend to have their best programs on then.

Thus Nine, and I doubt any other free to air network, will bid for a free to air game on Saturday night in future.

Additionally, as most games take nigh on 2 hours to play already, having 4 games wall to wall like suggested is a problem if any of the first 3 go to extra time.

Yeah so we have to have the guts to go elsewhere and or leave TV money on the table for the sake of the fan experience.

I would actually have a couple of games played at the same time but that boat seems to have sailed.

There is opportunity to give back to the FTA broadcaster under the proposed schedule.

Saturday with 4 games could be flexible in that after say round 8, with appropriate notice the broadcaster could swap the game they televise with another more attractive one from the same day. That would cause minimal disruption to all concerned. Could even do the same for Sunday.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Has NRL been on Sat night FTA before?
For AFL Saturday nights rate same as Sunday afternoon games and depending on match up close to Friday night games. I dont think FTA loses much moving from a Thur to a Sat other than NRL on Thur probably gives them a bigger audience than whatever sht they normally show on a Thurs night.

NRL is only rating in the 250k-350k metro ratings for Thursday night games this year which is usually around the 18-20th placed FTA program (metro)

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeah so we have to have the guts to go elsewhere and or leave TV money on the table for the sake of the fan experience.

I would actually have a couple of games played at the same time but that boat seems to have sailed.

There is opportunity to give back to the FTA broadcaster under the proposed schedule.

Saturday with 4 games could be flexible in that after say round 8, with appropriate notice the broadcaster could swap the game they televise with another more attractive one from the same day. That would cause minimal disruption to all concerned. Could even do the same for Sunday.

Simucast games, weeknight games, Friday 6pm games, games kicking off late on Friday.
We've given away a lot in our chase for the Tv $ which has massively compromised clubs abilities to increase revenue from fan and corporate game day sales.

To borrow a line from the Mercury Astronauts "No bucks, no Buck Rogers". They won't leave TV money on the table as the game just cannot afford to.

Vee

First Grade

Why do 7 have the fumblers on Saturday night?

Latest posts