What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Team List v Raiders

Now that Ricky has shown his hand we need to go all in.
Bring in #18, #19, #20 and # 21.
For mine we rest Wade, Talakai, Woods and Ramien or Mulitalo.
Play Trindall and Tracey as halves as they need time on the field.

Generalzod

Immortal
Surely the NRL needs to put a stop to this the Melbourne Storm are resting nearly their whole team.

snout

First Grade
Now that Ricky has shown his hand we need to go all in.
Bring in #18, #19, #20 and # 21.
For mine we rest Wade, Talakai, Woods and Ramien or Mulitalo.
Play Trindall and Tracey as halves as they need time on the field.
You sound like me last week.

It aint rocket science.

The most important game of our years not this weekend - its next - and all we want to do is run our topliners out.

Dumb.

Dumb.

Dumber.

Last edited:

fizman

Bench
Wow! I cannot believe that Canberra are even considering resting players this weekend.

Cronulla sneak home against the Raiders at 5.30pm then Parra lose against the Tigers at 7.30pm and Canberra miss out on a Top 4 position.

Incomprehensible, unless Canberra are so arrogant they think they have the game in the bag?

Regardless of our 17 that runs out this weekend, they will be desperate for the win. They will be pumped up to “beat” a Top 8 team before the play offs.

I have always thought Canberra had a bit of “Cronulla” about them in terms of dumb decisions - this may take the cake.

I’ll call it now, if Ricky does rest all of these players this weekend, I will believe they will go out in straight sets. We will beat them 2 weeks in a row.

What an incredible situation, I simply cannot believe they would risk it all like this.

We are magnificent underdogs, this is perfect for us!

glenmoresharkie

First Grade
Wow! I cannot believe that Canberra are even considering resting players this weekend.

Cronulla sneak home against the Raiders at 5.30pm then Parra lose against the Tigers at 7.30pm and Canberra miss out on a Top 4 position.

Incomprehensible, unless Canberra are so arrogant they think they have the game in the bag?

Regardless of our 17 that runs out this weekend, they will be desperate for the win. They will be pumped up to “beat” a Top 8 team before the play offs.

I have always thought Canberra had a bit of “Cronulla” about them in terms of dumb decisions - this may take the cake.

I’ll call it now, if Ricky does rest all of these players this weekend, I will believe they will go out in straight sets. We will beat them 2 weeks in a row.

What an incredible situation, I simply cannot believe they would risk it all like this.

Not sure if you’re being serious or not

Inferno

Coach

It is highly highly unlikely the tigers beat the Eels, so weighing up that small possibility against being able to rest a large portion of his squad to play against a team he'll be playing twice in 2 weeks is the smart move.

If he had played his full strength side and they put the cleaners through us he might have had a hard time stifling overconfidence in week 1 of the semis. Instead he'll have a fresh squad champing at the bit regardless of the result.

Meanwhile we have a new halves combination, 2 brand new centre/wing combinations and are also missing our two most creative players.

I think we'll be the ones losing twice.

eddiesmith

Juniors
It's an interesting dilemma the NRL will now find themselves in.

The AFL introduced the pre finals bye between final h&a game and finals purely because one year a top team decided to rest half their side for the last game. Now most of the top 8 are doing it this week in the NRL will surely see something changed for next year?

Quicksilver

Bench
It's an interesting dilemma the NRL will now find themselves in.

The AFL introduced the pre finals bye between final h&a game and finals purely because one year a top team decided to rest half their side for the last game. Now most of the top 8 are doing it this week in the NRL will surely see something changed for next year?

I don’t see what’s wrong with it. You have a whole squad you can use. And it almost* guarantees that a team will field their best possible team all fresh in the finals- leading to a better product. It’s just about managing player match fitness, fatigue and combinations.

*as long as they don’t play soccer at training.

fizman

Bench
Not sure if you’re being serious or not

Hey Mate, I am absolutely 100% serious.

In my opinion, there are two types of Teams:

1. Systems and Structures - Melbourne and Roosters
2. Confidence - The Rest.

By definition, Melbourne and Roosters can bring players into the "system" that will do the job - they are not completely reliant on individuals.

For the remainder (including Penrith) confidence is everything and translates to either excellent or poor performance.

There are varying degrees of course, for example, Newcastle can play woeful one week and world beaters the next.

Coming back to the Canberra discussion. If they were to lose on Saturday night and the Tigers did beat Parramatta (which I believe is entirely possible) their confidence will be dented.

They will present confident throughout the week, but when the game is on the line over that 80 minutes and things start going against them, that's when this weeks decision will come back to bite them.

Only Melbourne and Roosters are good enough to rest players because they are "systems" teams, not confidence.

Let's look at it from another angle. If Cronulla do beat Canberra on Saturday night and Parramatta know they are in the Top 4, I would be even more confident the Tigers will win.

My point in this discussion is that I think Ricky has taken a massive risk and it could certainly come back to bite Canberra.

eddiesmith

Juniors
I don’t see what’s wrong with it. You have a whole squad you can use. And it almost* guarantees that a team will field their best possible team all fresh in the finals- leading to a better product. It’s just about managing player match fitness, fatigue and combinations.

*as long as they don’t play soccer at training.

But that's why they brought in the bye so teams would all be at their best for finals

I think the biggest issue comes down to the betting agencies who give them lots of money and don't want compromised results due to mass resting of players

Was it the NRL tossing up the idea of a wildcard round once? So the top 6 would all have a week of before finals whilst 7-10 play off for the bottom 2 spots?

snout

First Grade
Did you want him to sit out two weeks after already being low on match fitness?
Hhmmm...didnt think this would be hard for anyone to grasp.

Anyways listen up.
SJ's part of a professional sporting organisation and believe it ir not they have ways to ensure an athlete who has been playing and training for the last 40 weeks doesnt lose his match fitness in 2 weeks.
You may have noticed when he came back feom 3 weeks off he was far from being off the pace. In fact he had a blinder.

Now that he was more mobile he wouldve been able to do even more in training and getting niggles right - without the stress load on his calves and achilles which were a direct result of the groin injury.

So in summation.
Yes - still match fit.
No - not missing for the nek 12 months.
Yes - playing the semifinal nek weekend.

Simples.

Last edited:

Quicksilver

Bench
I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but players still take a while to be “match fit”. And I’m including the ability to form combinations and understanding with other players under that board umbrella too. It’s very common that timing is out when someone has been out for an extended period.

A week off probably wouldn’t hurt but extended periods out start to matter.

Also, if you’re doing a simulation at the intensity of a game- you may as well be playing anyway.

It’s never “simples”. The world is complex.

You may have a vision of what you would like the world to be like, but reality is sometimes different.

Last edited: