What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dump Norman For Sailor .

redv13

Bench
Some Interesting views on Clune in this thread

You will never know how good/bad he is until he plays several games without Norman and Hunt.

He is out called by both of them and that clearly is not helping his cause.

People also commenting on Clune’s defence without seeing how bad both Norman & Hunt are and coupled with some of Dufty’s appalling attempts not sure why Clune is the target of posts.

At least Clune does take the line on and does so willingly.
Would have been nice to see Hunt at 6 with Clune at 7. That could work
When was the last time Norman was brilliant though? I cant remember him ever being brilliant for us.
I think he may have been brilliant years ago but now he is slow. Very slow.
He's f**king garbage to the value of 850,000.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Would have been nice to see Hunt at 6 with Clune at 7. That could work

He's f**king garbage to the value of 850,000.

Bombed another try against the Raiders- this time he didn't notice the bleeding obvious two players unmarked to his right- last week, it was a terrible pass that bounced before the supporting attacker. Just doesn't know what to do to when he gets into the open apart from panic when he realises that he doesn't have the speed to finish off.

redv13

Bench
Bombed another try against the Raiders- this time he didn't notice the bleeding obvious two players unmarked to his right- last week, it was a terrible pass that bounced before the supporting attacker. Just doesn't know what to do to when he gets into the open apart from panic when he realises that he doesn't have the speed to finish off.
Not bad for 70k a month, what a legend

Nothing wrong with Clune as a footballer. He’s a very smart half who’s shown far more upside than negatives in his short time in FG. You have to remember he’s played about a dozen games of NRL, irregardless of his age. Others have called it a ‘breakout year’. I think that’s going too far but he’s a creative player who at his best can unlock defences with his ball-playing and he has a pretty nice kicking game.

I’m not prepared to defend Norman to the same degree as he has big flaws in his game and at times resembles a park player.

That said I think sometimes he’s judged too harshly for his carefree playing style In that there’s a perceived lack of effort when that’s not necessarily the case. Nobody gave him a wrap for getting us over the line against Parra but he laid on a beautiful pass for Ravalawa which was the match-winning try and his kicking game, which is rarely complete, got us home that night.

To that end, prior to last week I thought his form had been pretty decent. I’m not saying the club should persist with him but don’t blame the salary on the player, he doesn’t sign his own cheques.

What’s not been

Pardon that last misfire, here’s the intended reply:

Nothing wrong with Clune as a footballer. He’s a very smart half who’s shown a lot of upside in his short time in FG. You have to remember he’s played about a dozen games of NRL, irregardless of his age.

Some have called it a ‘breakout year’. I think that’s going too far but he’s certainly a creative player who at his best can unlock defences with skilful ball-playing, he reads play well and has a pretty tidy kicking game.

I’m not prepared to defend Norman to any real degree as he has major flaws in his game and at times can resemble a park player, particular in defence.

That said I think sometimes he’s judged too harshly for his carefree playing style In that there’s a perceived lack of effort - when that’s not necessarily the case.

He’s got a lot of talent, the problem is with his consistency And mindset, like a lot of the current squad.

I’m not saying the club should persist with him but don’t blame the salary on the player, he doesn’t sign his own cheques.

if he sees out the last year of his contract so be it. His salary shouldn’t dictate he is picked in first grade, his performances should decide this. Something McGregor failed to understand but Griffin won’t.

What’s not been mentioned in this thread is how these guys are trying to ply their wares behind a pack that is routinely outmuscled by opposing packs.

Hunt is another who has worn too much blame for the team’s ills when it’s patently clear we lack leadership, toughness and intensity in the forwards.

There is an obvious fragility and softness there which is proven week after week with soft tries conceded in the middle of the park. And these guys rarely play well together as a unit. Some, without naming (the big) names, are looking pretty stale.

This has already been validated by the incoming coach who is no fool, has recognised it and said as much. ‘A strong forward pack’ were the first words he uttered when asked how he’d fix the team.

Hence the talk of signing two or three tough forwards. I don’t know who will be shown the door if signings are made but it’s fair to say that bar Cam McInnes, none of the current crop have set the world on fire.

It wouldn’t surprise if Hook doesn’t make a backline signing at all. Under Mary we had a problem with strike out wide but largely this is being solved by clearing pathways and filling from within as there is some talent there.

Right now we badly need some hardheads in the forwards and that might be all we need.

I mean there have been times when the cupboard was completely bare when it came to playmakers. But I don’t think Griffin would be unhappy with the spine players at the club currently.

When you look at who’s on contract in key positions:

Dufty, Ramsey, Norman, Clune, Sullivan, Hunt, Sailor, McInnes ... Maybe you could make a shrewd addition and/or subtraction ... but there’s a fair bit of talent and depth there, compatible to most of the good clubs.

People say we lack a ‘dominant half’ or fullback but was Jack Wighton a dominant half/fullback before Stuart got hold of him?

It’s up to the coach to get the combinations right and get them playing well.

That’s been the elephant in the room for the past seven years. Don’t forget those who came and went before: Widdop, Dugan, Marshall, Hutchison.

Thankfully those responsible for picking and sticking with forwards who dialled it in over and over again and who mismanaged marquee players are now either gone or are leaving.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Hook needs to find which pairing is going to work for us, and develop it. So far it’s been years. I think Widdop was great, but it wasn’t ever a great pairing with anyone.

I’d get rid of Norman to start
Do any of the young guys work with Hunt?
Or should we look at Sailor? Sullivan (too early I assume) Clune... is Dufty better in the halves and if so in what combo?

I can’t say who, I can suggest, but it’s the coaches job to find out

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I mean there have been times when the cupboard was completely bare when it came to playmakers. But I don’t think Griffin would be unhappy with the spine players at the club currently.

When you look at who’s on contract in key positions:

Dufty, Ramsey, Norman, Clune, Sullivan, Hunt, Sailor, McInnes ... Maybe you could make a shrewd addition and/or subtraction ... but there’s a fair bit of talent and depth there, compatible to most of the good clubs.

People say we lack a ‘dominant half’ or fullback but was Jack Wighton a dominant half/fullback before Stuart got hold of him?

It’s up to the coach to get the combinations right and get them playing well.

That’s been the elephant in the room for the past seven years. Don’t forget those who came and went before: Widdop, Dugan, Marshall, Hutchison.

Thankfully those responsible for picking and sticking with forwards who dialled it in over and over again and who mismanaged marquee players are now either gone or are leaving.
...McCrone, Williams.,Drinkwater.... ..;
Along similar lines, Bennett was able to get the best out of Hornby at half.

slippery5

Juniors
Would happily take either of them for Clune.

Cooper has only had 1 NRL game I believe, so hasn't shown a lot but certainly would have the advice of a few decent halves in his ear often.
Cooper may have played only one NRL game but I've watched plenty off his Q cup games & I'm not the only one that thinks he is average (at best), the only reason Hynes has been playing fullback is to accommodate him in the side as Hynes is more versatile.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
If you are looking for Storm system players Nicho Hynes is miles ahead of Johns in ability & his preferred position is in the halves, unfortunately he has just resigned for another 12 months after knocking back Bulldogs.

Just wanted to revisit this mate as it seems Cooper Johns and Riley Jacks have been named as the halves this weekend with Hynes on the bench.

I'll be watching with a keen eye.

slippery5

Juniors
Just wanted to revisit this mate as it seems Cooper Johns and Riley Jacks have been named as the halves this weekend with Hynes on the bench.

I'll be watching with a keen eye.
Told it's all part of rotation, as Hynes has started last 2 games & on the bench for 2 previous. I hope he comes on in the halves. Both sides inexperienced halves will even out but I will be surprised if Johns takes the line on or directs the team around the park with any authority because I'm yet to see it, but playing the Dragons he might prove me wrong.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Told it's all part of rotation, as Hynes has started last 2 games & on the bench for 2 previous. I hope he comes on in the halves. Both sides inexperienced halves will even out but I will be surprised if Johns takes the line on or directs the team around the park with any authority because I'm yet to see it, but playing the Dragons he might prove me wrong.
We have a habit of getting opposition halves into form.

Como Connection

First Grade
Nothing wrong with Clune as a footballer. He’s a very smart half who’s shown far more upside than negatives in his short time in FG. You have to remember he’s played about a dozen games of NRL, irregardless of his age. Others have called it a ‘breakout year’. I think that’s going too far but he’s a creative player who at his best can unlock defences with his ball-playing and he has a pretty nice kicking game.

I’m not prepared to defend Norman to the same degree as he has big flaws in his game and at times resembles a park player.

That said I think sometimes he’s judged too harshly for his carefree playing style In that there’s a perceived lack of effort when that’s not necessarily the case. Nobody gave him a wrap for getting us over the line against Parra but he laid on a beautiful pass for Ravalawa which was the match-winning try and his kicking game, which is rarely complete, got us home that night.

To that end, prior to last week I thought his form had been pretty decent. I’m not saying the club should persist with him but don’t blame the salary on the player, he doesn’t sign his own cheques.

What’s not been
I would prefer to keep Norman in front of Hunt.
CC

RedV Resurgence

Juniors
I have a feeling Griffin may give Norman the nod early but as soon as he has a shocker or senses laziness will be dropped. Griffin does not take crap like that by the looks of things as we saw in Penrith. On his day Norman can be brilliant but looks like he does not have to in this squad to keep his spot so why does he bother.

Norman has now been with us for 2 years and we are still waiting for his 1 brilliant performance.
It has yet to happen.

Inisai Toga

Juniors

What’s not been
..feel the same way in connection to Norman. In regards to Clune he has elements of his game that reminds me a little of Graham Murray’s playing style, who they used to call little Arthur Beetson (Parra Half in the 70’s) Yet, unlike Murray, I often feel Clune’s lack of involvement and timing is just off; pushes passes that aren’t always on that result in the play falling down or moves just never quite coming off. Love to see him bring it altogether.

Last edited:

redv13

Bench
I would prefer to keep Norman in front of Hunt.
CC
Sorry CC but disagree with this one. Hunt at least has a dig most times but when things go pear shaped so does he. Slim Shady is just a tosser on huge $$$ that rarely has a crack.
I think Hunt as a running 6 is worth a go and Clune at 7 until Sullivan is ready for 1st grade