What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Curtis Scott

League Unlimited News

Administrator
Staff member
The National Rugby League today issued Canberra Raiders player Curtis Scott with a breach notice alleging he brought the game into disrepute and breached the NRL's policies concerning the consumption of alcohol.

The notice alleges that on the evening of Sunday, 26 January, Scott engaged in drunken behaviour in the street and public park adjacent to Driver Avenue in Moore Park.

The notice proposes Scott be fined $15,000. Scott will have the opportunity to have the entirety of that fine suspended should he successfully complete an education and counselling program implemented by the NRL's Wellbeing & Education Department. Part of that education and counselling will be to directed at gaining a better understanding of the risks of excessive alcohol use.

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the game expected a higher standard of behaviour from its players.

"Our players are role models in the community and must set an example for young people who look up to them,'' he said.

"In our view, Curtis should not have placed himself in a position where he was found in the state that he was in. That sort of behaviour is not acceptable and impacts on the reputation of our game and our brand."

Scott has five working days to respond to the breach notice.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/09/19/nrl-statement-on-curtis-scott/

mave

Coach
Gee the punishments for bringing the game into disrepute have come down a lot over time.

Used to be a 4 week playing ban.

AJB1102

First Grade
So the NSW police commissioner is sympathetic for the officers who have to deal with drunken idiots every night.

Apparently the only other course of action would be to "put a baton under each of his arms, you squeeze it down and you put him in the back of a truck. That is no less painful than being sprayed."
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ns...ious-curtis-scott-arrest-20200922-p55y0f.html
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/ns...ious-curtis-scott-arrest-20200922-p55y0f.html

First off they don't "have" to put up with drunken idiots, they can find other employment if the duties of a police officer isn't really their thing. Not many other jobs though that you could assault a sleeping man, lie about it, get caught out by your own footage, publicly embarrass your department and open them up for a $100k law suit and still get the nod of approval from your boss.

I reckon I'd go the batons under the arms over a tasing and 20 minutes of OC spray. But its pretty telling that the only options the commissioner can see outside of a polite request is basically every bit of force they can use (cuffs, batons, tasers, OC spray) short of shooting the merkin.

Warriors Fever

Juniors
So the NSW police commissioner is sympathetic for the officers who have to deal with drunken idiots every night.

Apparently the only other course of action would be to "put a baton under each of his arms, you squeeze it down and you put him in the back of a truck. That is no less painful than being sprayed."

First off they don't "have" to put up with drunken idiots, they can find other employment if the duties of a police officer isn't really their thing. Not many other jobs though that you could assault a sleeping man, lie about it, get caught out by your own footage, publicly embarrass your department and open them up for a $100k law suit and still get the nod of approval from your boss.

I reckon I'd go the batons under the arms over a tasing and 20 minutes of OC spray. But its pretty telling that the only options the commissioner can see outside of a polite request is basically every bit of force they can use (cuffs, batons, tasers, OC spray) short of shooting the merkin.
This Mick fuller sounds like a real piece of sh*t, probably Done some grubby stuff himself. I’d say he’d be responsible for a few aboriginal deaths in custody with the lack of sympathy he shows actual victims of crimes.

myrrh ken

First Grade
I was fairly skeptical of his story, i really thought this was all a ploy to get this handled in the off season ala Fightin' Wighton but i was clear that whilst skeptical , dismissing his claims out of hand on the grounds of absolute faith in the cops was pretty ridiculous

Most of us came out of this with some egg on our face, @Mr Spock!, @carcharias and @myrrh ken managed to take a whole carton and then some. Wooof, you boys gotta man up here or nah?

Yikes, a fun re-read :D

Meow, what did I say that was wrong?

blue bags

First Grade
NSW Police ordered to pay $100,000 in costs to NRL star Curtis Scott after 'terrifying' Sydney arrest
By Jamie McKinnell

Posted 2ddays ago, updated 1dday ago
12652176-16x9-xlarge.jpg

A Sydney magistrate has hit NSW Police with a $100,000 legal bill over the "terrifying" arrest of NRL player Curtis Scott in January.

Key points:
  • The actions of Senior Constable Christopher Bucknell were described as "terrifying"
  • The NRL has recently recommended a $15,000 fine for Scott
  • Scott was arrested after he was found sleeping at Moore Park in January
Scott, who plays for Canberra Raiders, was charged with multiple offences including assaulting police and resisting arrest after he was found sleeping at Moore Park early on January 27.

But all charges were withdrawn or dismissed earlier this month after the court was shown footage from the officers' body-worn cameras.

Scott, who had been drinking on Australia Day prior to his arrest, appeared disoriented and was handcuffed, pepper sprayed and shot with a taser during the arrest.

His lawyer, Sam Macedone, sought $100,792.30 in costs, arguing the investigation was unreasonable and the prosecution never should have dragged on for eight months.

Magistrate Jennifer Giles today said the actions of Senior Constable Christopher Bucknell, who used the taser, were "terrifying".

He said the officer became "offended and frustrated" from arguing with a drunk man who was blinded by pepper spray and lying on the ground.

Magistrate Giles also criticised police statements which claimed Scott was "thrashing" and "lunged", which contradicted the footage.

"That's not an investigation," she said.

"That's a shoring up, seemingly with a consciousness of not having done things properly, one might think."

Space to play or pause, M to mute, left and right arrows to seek, up and down arrows for volume.

12652246-16x9-xlarge.jpg

Body-cam footage of NRL star Curtis Scott's arrest
Police prosecutor Rebecca Beecroft was "at pains to plead that case of the hapless police", the magistrate said.

The prosecutor had argued police did the best they could in the circumstances and were worried Scott might have wandered onto the road and been hit by a car.

Magistrate Giles dismissed that as "absurd".

"I genuinely think Mr Scott might have been safer if he had wandered onto the roadway and been hit by a car," she said.

"Try to watch the bodycam footage without flinching, and not through your fingers, and try to remember that you're not watching gratuitous violence off the dark web."

The magistrate questioned why the prosecution was pressed for eight months, including a two-day hearing the Local Court, where there is in excess of 82,000 cases waiting to be heard.

Mr Macedone had repeatedly attempted to warn police of flaws in their case, all the while making his costs clear, she said.

"It seems to me extraordinary that with no real prospect of success, in the face of all the matters and problems raised by Mr Macedone in his correspondence with the police hierarchy, the prosecution still elected to run this matter," Magistrate Giles said.

Outside court, Mr Macedone welcomed the decision and said he hoped police received better training, including about the appropriate use of pepper spray.

The NRL has recently recommended a $15,000 fine for Scott, but it may be suspended if he attends counselling and education programs.

Posted 2ddays ago, updated 1dday ago
Related Stories
NRL fines Raiders player Curtis Scott after charges dropped

Footage of Curtis Scott being tasered shown to court as all charges against him dismissed

More on:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-09-25/nsw-police-to-pay-costs-to-nrl-star-curtis-scott/12702080