What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Gronk

Staff member
Ping weatherman @Suitman . The lass on the ABC said today that the harbour that these whales are stick in does not have normal 6 hour tides and has "barometric tides" and the next high tide is in 3 days. What is this trickery ?

Suitman

Post Whore
Ping weatherman @Suitman . The lass on the ABC said today that the harbour that these whales are stick in does not have normal 6 hour tides and has "barometric tides" and the next high tide is in 3 days. What is this trickery ?

Mate, tbh, I have no idea. I'll inform you on anything weather related but tides? I have no f**king clue about them.
Sorry.
Tbh, I do read stuff, but have never ever heard of this phenomenon.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Barometric tides go up and down with the barometric pressure and can be solar affected ie: sun heats the water up and it expands, hence rises

generally applies to a lake and I believe most of the whales are in a lake that connects to the ocean at high tide and is isolated off at low tide

I'll never be able to get my head around the fact that a moon can make our oceans move up and down 4 times a day. I mean, wtf?

Moon and Sun. And both the Earth and Moon move relative to each other and the Sun, and the Earth's angle of incidence changes over seasons. This now sounds like a Midnight Oil album. Different I'm at the limits of my scientific knowledge on this point (if you hadn't guessed)

hindy111

Post Whore
Barometric tides go up and down with the barometric pressure and can be solar affected ie: sun heats the water up and it expands, hence rises

generally applies to a lake and I believe most of the whales are in a lake that connects to the ocean at high tide and is isolated off at low tide

The barometric effect

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
The barometric effect
Their new album is killer.

2013TwistedMethod_Press_190913-1.jpg

Should we start a Countdown to Daylight Savings thread? So much time to prepare for and enjoy sunset. Maybe it's insensitive with all the merkins here living in Queensland.

Latest posts