What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jane Murray

Bench
Old news, I know. Now for some more re-signs to come, hopefully.

A year in the spotlight for all the wrong reasons has made newly re-signed Panthers utility Tyrone May appreciate life more.

This time last year the 24-year-old’s rugby league career was in severe doubt as he awaited the outcome of much-publicised legal proceedings.

The Blacktown product wasn’t sure whether he’d go to prison for his off-field indiscretions or be banned from the game altogether – nothing was certain, everything was up in the air.

In January – after nearly 12 months out of the game – May’s fate was decided in court, paving the way for him to finally return to his happy place… the footy field.

Speaking with Extra Time on the eve of the NRL Finals, the Samoan international said he’s finally in a good mental and physical state after the toughest period of his young life.

“I can’t complain… I’m just happy to be playing footy again,” May admitted.

panthersmay-3.jpg

Tyrone May in action for Penrith. Photo: Megan Dunn.
“I missed out last year and to be on the roll that we’re on now has been great to be a part of.”

With May’s career hanging by a thread this time last year, he almost can’t believe how much his life has turned around since. The Minchinbury Jets junior said he appreciates every single minute he’s out on the field, contributing to Penrith’s immense success this season.

“You just can’t take anything for granted, just roll with the punches, and to be able to be on this team is unbelievable,” he said.

“I don’t want to take any moment for granted, this one especially.”

In his 12 appearances for the Panthers this season, May has enjoyed a starring role off Ivan Cleary’s bench. Not only has he had a hand in six tries for Penrith, but he’s proven his versatility by playing in several positions.

“I’m just happy to play anywhere, I don’t even know what position I like best. I just love playing footy and it’s a bonus that I can play so many positions,” May said.

“I’ve always known I can play a few positions, I’ve played a few coming through the grades. Ivan tells me to be prepared for anything because if someone goes down you just don’t know where you’re going to play. I just have to know everyone’s roles.”

panthersmay2.jpg

Tyrone May in action for Penrith. Photo: Megan Dunn.
Even though his on-field experience is confined to just 31 first grade matches, May’s footy IQ will be hugely important to the Panthers come the start of the Finals next week.

May was there the last time Penrith played post-season footy and will use previous Finals defeats to his advantage.

“I think we’re better for the losses that have come before and hopefully we can learn from them,” May said.

“I know how disheartening it was when we lost that semi against the Sharks in 2018, it wasn’t a good feeling. Everyone wants to win the Grand Final and we’re in a good position to give it a crack. It would be a shame if we didn’t put our best foot forward in the coming weeks.”

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I think we should be doing what ever we can to keep Naden (without paying crazy money) unless, we have an elite centre lined up. I’m talking Kotoni Staggs or similar.

In my mind, unless they are at that sort of level, we may as well keep Nado. He is a very good player without being elite, but I also think he has some improvement in him.

I hope we re-sign him to be honest.

Fangs

Coach
Rather than facilitating his move to the Tigers, & if we're looking for an outside back, wouldn't you try to "swap" Naden for JAC?

A wild suggestion, and one that would piss off the Tigers more. I like it.

We probably want a centre before a winger. Especially with guys like Staines/Laurie who will suit the wing early in their careers.

franklin2323

Immortal
A wild suggestion, and one that would piss off the Tigers more. I like it.

We probably want a centre before a winger. Especially with guys like Staines/Laurie who will suit the wing early in their careers.

Eventually To'o moves to centre but not yet.
Tyrone May isn't a centre so regardless of what happens I would be replacing MWZ or Aekins with a centre

maple_69

Bench
I’d grab Oldfield for now. Will absolutely do a solid job if needed at centre or wing but otherwise is fine to be a senior guy in reggies. If we can’t keep Baden past next year he could be a reasonable stop gap given the talent in the rest of the backline. At least until a junior claims the spot.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
I’d grab Oldfield for now. Will absolutely do a solid job if needed at centre or wing but otherwise is fine to be a senior guy in reggies. If we can’t keep Baden past next year he could be a reasonable stop gap given the talent in the rest of the backline. At least until a junior claims the spot.

I’m an Oldfield fan, great guy, I wouldn’t be unhappy if we signed him, but I’m not sure we need him. I’d rather hang onto Whare to be honest.

Eventually To'o moves to centre but not yet.
Tyrone May isn't a centre so regardless of what happens I would be replacing MWZ or Aekins with a centre

I think it’ll depend on if Whare or Mansour goes.

If Whare stays I don’t see us chasing a centre, we have Mcgrady who hasn’t debuted and also Burton whose trained there. Plus we have Capewell & May who can play the odd game there.

martielang

Bench

Great call. Was odd letting him go imo. More than a solid option at centre or wing.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think it’ll depend on if Whare or Mansour goes.

If Whare stays I don’t see us chasing a centre, we have Mcgrady who hasn’t debuted and also Burton whose trained there. Plus we have Capewell & May who can play the odd game there.

We will still have only 3 actual centres. Need someone that can play centre and wing probably

Sime_11

Juniors
cant see Nades going anywhere yet - the passion he has shown for the jersey this year - he wants to be here - just names being thrown out there - obviously you would target the club that is bursting with talent who are flying

cant see Nades going anywhere yet - the passion he has shown for the jersey this year - he wants to be here - just names being thrown out there - obviously you would target the club that is bursting with talent who are flying

Blade has said it’s more than just names being thrown around. There’s something to it.

Jane Murray

Bench

^this^ and the fact that Naden gets homesick a lot.

Blade has said it’s more than just names being thrown around. There’s something to it.

Who knows?

I heard it from a lower grade player the other night at oztag. These rumours can be hit and miss that is why I asked for Blade. So it is more then paper talk

Did your source give any hints into why?

murraymob

Coach
Melbourne is the club that is keen on Naden .JAC. Is on good coin If he moves on he is on more than would they would have to pay Naden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts