What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yelling at Clouds: Fox NRL is Overrated

Canard

Immortal
But they aren't rebulit suburban grounds so its a mute argument. Sure if the NSW Govt was willing to throw $600mill at 4 suburban grounds then wed all probably agree (though some of these grounds would still struggle to accommodate 20,000 people turning up to them on a regular basis due to their locations). Yes EPL grounds are, becuase they can affor to rebuild them into 30-60k modern stadiums, not run down local parks with grass hills that struggle to accommodate 15k people.
Vlandys is a dinosaur after the populous vote with no vision for what the future could be.

In the ideal world we would see the 3 outer suburban grounds (Cronulla, Panthers and Manly) with 25k modern rebuilds but in the real world that isnt going to happen.

The best attended stadiums in Sydney are Allianz, ANZ and Bankwest. Its not a coincidence I think! Once Canberra and Auckland gets its act together then the only clubs playing out of sht old grounds will be a handful of Sydney ones.

The word is moot

saint.nick

Coach
But they aren't rebulit suburban grounds so its a mute argument. Sure if the NSW Govt was willing to throw $600mill at 4 suburban grounds then wed all probably agree (though some of these grounds would still struggle to accommodate 20,000 people turning up to them on a regular basis due to their locations). Yes EPL grounds are, becuase they can affor to rebuild them into 30-60k modern stadiums, not run down local parks with grass hills that struggle to accommodate 15k people.
Vlandys is a dinosaur after the populous vote with no vision for what the future could be.

In the ideal world we would see the 3 outer suburban grounds (Cronulla, Panthers and Manly) with 25k modern rebuilds but in the real world that isnt going to happen.

The best attended stadiums in Sydney are Allianz, ANZ and Bankwest. Its not a coincidence I think! Once Canberra and Auckland gets its act together then the only clubs playing out of sht old grounds will be a handful of Sydney ones.
No he didn't, he had a go a celebrity that was in some legal trouble because he had a chance to have a go at a celebrity in some legal trouble, and it had zero effect on either fan bases opinion of each other.

Seriously find me the MV fans who cared about the incident at all, let alone one that considered it a slight against MV or would come to Calombaris's defence simply out of loyalty to the club.

It was a cheap pop that got caught on camera, nothing more, nothing less.

Just about every Premier League stadium is a large modern stadium that is well connected to public transport with access to modern amenities, i.e. exactly the type of stadiums that are better than small dilapidated suburban grounds in every way.

There's no way in hell that all the Suburban grounds in Sydney will ever see the investment necessary to get them all built up to the point they need to be to be serviceable, that would literally cost close to half a billion dollars each for most of them, and that just for the stadium, not for all the infrastructure you'd need built around most of them.

It's simply not realistic to expect that kind of investment from the taxpayer across half a dozen stadiums, and all that will happen by moving the focus back to the suburban stadiums is that instead of the investment we do get going to making two or three really good stadiums it will be split between all the suburban grounds, and as a result some of them will get half arsed face lifts that will have little to no effect on extending their lifespan or making them more accessible venues to a greater audience.

Guys, all I said was that suburban grounds are far better for tribalism, and you've both turned this into one big feasibility study which has nothing to do with my original argument. Whether taxpayers want to fund it or not is neither here nor there, I simply agree with V'Landys' opinion that local grounds foster better tribalism than huge yet empty stadiums with no atmosphere.

Great Dane, if that Sydney fan saw Calambaris on the street, he wouldn't have said anything. He only had a pop at him because he supported Melbourne. He was an evil Victory fan who doesn't pay his staff. You've got a narrative that absolutely no tribalism exists in the country and you're using any argument possible to discredit the idea that it can exist in some sections of Aussie sport. Every Sydney fan I know acts like they'd throw a cinder block to a drowning Melbourne player.

Last edited:

saint.nick

Coach
Also, calling a guy who transformed NSW Racing someone with 'no vision for the future' is just ridiculous

Perth Red

Post Whore
Also, calling a guy who transformed NSW Racing someone with 'no vision for the future' is just ridiculous

I didn't say that, I said he had no vision for what it "could be". His vision is NSW centric with suburban grounds with small crowds and another club in Brisbane. Thats not going to make the NRL the national powerhouse of Australian footy in 30 years time or help close the ever growing gap between AFL and NRL. He should have stuck to a NSW only business, its what he is good at.

Whether taxpayers want to fund it or not is neither here nor there, I simply agree with V'Landys' opinion that local grounds foster better tribalism than huge yet empty stadiums with no atmosphere.

I dont think anyone is saying that great big empty stadiums should be the goal? Bankwest 30k stadiums drawing crowd avg's of 25k should be the goal right across the country and into NZ.

saint.nick

Coach
I didn't say that, I said he had no vision for what it "could be". His vision is NSW centric with suburban grounds with small crowds and another club in Brisbane. Thats not going to make the NRL the national powerhouse of Australian footy in 30 years time or help close the ever growing gap between AFL and NRL. He should have stuck to a NSW only business, its what he is good at.

I dont think anyone is saying that great big empty stadiums should be the goal? Bankwest 30k stadiums drawing crowd avg's of 25k should be the goal right across the country and into NZ.

And I entirely agree with him. It has to be NSW and QLD centric because who gives an absolute flying f**k about NRL in the AFL states? Melbourne has been one of the best clubs ever seen and they're still mentioned further back in the Herald Sun than a small apology they've published about an editorial error the week beforehand. The NRL has barely got its own house in order back in NSW so why the rush to suddenly conquer the entire country? The NRL needs to get its shit right in NSW and QLD before it look beyond to other states, otherwise they don't have a great selling point, and that's why after 20 to 30 years they've made almost zero inroads into VIC, SA and WA despite multiple efforts. We've been trying to get Victorians, South Australians and Western Australians really into NRL when fans from our own heartland can't even be f**ked going to a game.

He's only good at NSW-only businesses? What the hell have you based this upon :joy: so he's a successful sports administrator not because he's necessarily a good administrator but because he just knows NSW very well?

You and Great Dane literally disputed the feasibility of multiple Bankwest kind of stadiums in suburban areas and now you're saying thats the goal? I'm confused.

Last edited:

Generalzod

Immortal
Id like to see more docos on the game, surely there’s enough back catalogue material to get loads of quality docos out...

just not ones on the usual suspects that are interviewed all the time like Smith etc. or the 2015 gf. Nothing against them but we’ve had overload of this for enough seasons.

30 for 30 style stuff...
I bit like the last dance

Generalzod

Immortal
They hardly play any old games at all like they used to when no league Was being played due COVID, now you NRL 360 shown basically every hour like really..

The Great Dane

First Grade
Guys, all I said was that suburban grounds are far better for tribalism, and you've both turned this into one big feasibility study which has nothing to do with my original argument. Whether taxpayers want to fund it or not is neither here nor there, I simply agree with V'Landys' opinion that local grounds foster better tribalism than huge yet empty stadiums with no atmosphere.
Except there's no evidence that is the case because leagues across the world that don't rely on suburban grounds, such as the EPL, have tribalism in spades but also have large centralised stadia...
Great Dane, if that Sydney fan saw Calambaris on the street, he wouldn't have said anything.
Bull shit.

I've been present when other celebrities that are facing similar troubles have been publically abused because of it, and I'd bet you anything that Calambaris himself has copped it more than once simply when he was walking down the street.

That is without even getting into social media, which is effectively the public discourse these days. He would have tons of bile coming his way, a portion of it from A-league fans, and most of them wouldn't have even realised he was a Victory fan.

You've got a narrative that absolutely no tribalism exists in the country and you're using any argument possible to discredit the idea that it can exist in some sections of Aussie sport. Every Sydney fan I know acts like they'd throw a cinder block to a drowning Melbourne player.
Poser Euro trash are gonna do what poser Euro trash do, but when push comes to shove there's no substance to their 'tribalism'. It's all performative, trying to make themselves look like they are something they desperately wish they were yet simply aren't.

Get back to me when the mere mention that you support the wrong team in the wrong pub is enough to start a brawl, then we'll talk about real tribalism.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
League Life was pretty good, just behind the Fan. The ladies were never afraid to ask hard questions of guests.
Matty Johns show and podcast is alright as light hearted occasional entertainment.
We are missing a couple of really good actual rugby league focused shows that take us behind the scenes and that show us rugby league news and activity from around Australia and the world.
Be great to see one that took the hot topics of the time and did some journalism, interviews, out of studio footage etc around them, a big ask for News ltd I know!

I recall on The Barefoot footy show they would go around Australia showing the game in various places and clubs. Was pretty good. Maybe Fox wants the younger generation thinking league starts and stops at the NRL.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Id like to see more docos on the game, surely there’s enough back catalogue material to get loads of quality docos out...

just not ones on the usual suspects that are interviewed all the time like Smith etc. or the 2015 gf. Nothing against them but we’ve had overload of this for enough seasons.

30 for 30 style stuff...

There are heaps of great league stories....they could start with Western Division winning the Amco Cup in 74.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I recall on The Barefoot footy show they would go around Australia showing the game in various places and clubs. Was pretty good. Maybe Fox wants the younger generation thinking league starts and stops at the NRL.

Yeh Barefoot Footy was by far the most comprehensive footy show on TV. We dont even get anything from the second tier let alone across the States and world. NRL (mostly NSW NRL) or nothing sadly.

saint.nick

Coach
Except there's no evidence that is the case because leagues across the world that don't rely on suburban grounds, such as the EPL, have tribalism in spades but also have large centralised stadia...

Why are we comparing other leagues to NRL? They're completely different sporting landscapes. The EPL has intimate, atmosphere friendly, always sold-out local venues that respective clubs have been solely using for usually at least 70 years.

Bull shit.

I've been present when other celebrities that are facing similar troubles have been publically abused because of it, and I'd bet you anything that Calambaris himself has copped it more than once simply when he was walking down the street.

That is without even getting into social media, which is effectively the public discourse these days. He would have tons of bile coming his way, a portion of it from A-league fans, and most of them wouldn't have even realised he was a Victory fan.

I'm sorry but I call bullshit on your claim that you've witnessed first hand multiple controversial celebrities cop verbal abuse on the street. That sounds very far fetched.

What's social media got to do with it? I'm talking about guys who say it to his face. If you think the atmosphere and rivalry had nothing to do with what Calambaris copped at the grand final then you're being disingenuous.

Poser Euro trash are gonna do what poser Euro trash do, but when push comes to shove there's no substance to their 'tribalism'. It's all performative, trying to make themselves look like they are something they desperately wish they were yet simply aren't.

Get back to me when the mere mention that you support the wrong team in the wrong pub is enough to start a brawl, then we'll talk about real tribalism.

You're definitely confusing tribalism with lowlife sociopathy. Punching blokes in the face for wearing the wrong colours isn't 'real tribalism'.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
So because the Storm and Raiders are resting a number of players these jurnos are now calling the NRL to step in because we might lose ratings because of the superstars being rested.

Let me get this straight, if Melbourne had their full side against St George Illawarra, do they honestly believe this game would rate well given this could've been a smashing?

The fact that they have rested players has given the Dragons a chance despite they are gone for 2020.

Would they rather a flogging or a close game?

Make up your mind you idiots

greenBV4

Bench
So because the Storm and Raiders are resting a number of players these jurnos are now calling the NRL to step in because we might lose ratings because of the superstars being rested.

Let me get this straight, if Melbourne had their full side against St George Illawarra, do they honestly believe this game would rate well given this could've been a smashing?

The fact that they have rested players has given the Dragons a chance despite they are gone for 2020.

Im super interested for this game actually, its good to see how your young up and comers go, and will be interested how paps goes as captain

saint.nick

Coach

Imagine being instructed to choose a starting 13 based upon what a TV channel wants

The Great Dane

First Grade
Why are we comparing other leagues to NRL? They're completely different sporting landscapes. The EPL has intimate, atmosphere friendly, always sold-out local venues that respective clubs have been solely using for usually at least 70 years.
If we don't compare ourselves to other leagues what is there to compare ourselves to?
Unrealistic hypothetical utopias where impact on the taxpayer doesn't matter or the NRL has access to resources similar to the EPL despite being tiny compared to it?
I'm sorry but I call bullshit on your claim that you've witnessed first hand multiple controversial celebrities cop verbal abuse on the street. That sounds very far fetched.

What's social media got to do with it? I'm talking about guys who say it to his face. If you think the atmosphere and rivalry had nothing to do with what Calambaris copped at the grand final then you're being disingenuous.
Why is that so hard to believe?

Have you never been present when a local personality or politician has been abused by someone for some stupid reason? It happens all the time, literally every day.
You're definitely confusing tribalism with lowlife sociopathy. Punching blokes in the face for wearing the wrong colours isn't 'real tribalism'.
Mate, people being ostracised, abused, or violently attacked for being in an out-group has been the name of the tribalism game since time immemorial.

I'm not joking either, the basis for what we would call 'tribalism' are literally evolutionary adaptions, most of which predates the evolution of modern humans, and in-group preference (and other adaptions associated with it) is observed in a lot of social and communal species. I mean Chimps have literally been observed participating in what can only be described as warfare.

KennySterling

Juniors
Those weekend displays from Melbourne and Canberra have left Kent with (more) egg all over his face for criticising their team selections.

It was the hapless Roosters who failed to provide value for the broadcast money !

Latest posts