What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL to experiment rule changes in Round 20 dead rubbers

Danish

Referee
So what happens when a player goes down injured and there is a reshuffle? does the trainer have to run out and explain to the ref who the forwards now are to make sure scrums pack “correctly”?

do clubs need to tell refs ahead of time which bench players are going to be rotating through the forwards and which might play in the backline?

what benefit are they attempting to get out of this rule?

AJB1102

First Grade
Junior Paulo wears 10 but splits his time playing prop and halfback. Does he pack it or feed it?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Handovers instead of scrums for kicks into touch? May as well do away with set plays then, as most set plays are usually run at scrums. Further this might speed the game up too much increasing the chances of injury (as whilst increased fatigue can create weaker defence, it also has a correlation to increased risk of injury). The players are not machines.

The obsession with making the game faster and faster will kill it....it needs balance..variation...good sport has plenty of tension/theatre

AJB1102

First Grade
The obsession with making the game faster and faster will kill it....it needs balance..variation...good sport has plenty of tension/theatre

Player kicks the ball from 45m out and finds touch. Scrum, feed to the team with 90m in front of them.

Player kicks the ball from 45m out and finds touch. Handover to the team with 90m in front of them.

Neither provide a moment of tension or theatre and nothing of note would be lost making the change. Maybe let em choose where to tap it like they can choose where to set the scrum.

siv

First Grade
Player kicks the ball from 45m out and finds touch. Scrum, feed to the team with 90m in front of them.

Player kicks the ball from 45m out and finds touch. Handover to the team with 90m in front of them.

Neither provide a moment of tension or theatre and nothing of note would be lost making the change. Maybe let em choose where to tap it like they can choose where to set the scrum.

I would remive the 50m scrum option

Go back to setting scrums 10m out when a kicks finds touch

Also go back to setting a scrum where the knock on occurred

T-Boon

Coach
I would remive the 50m scrum option

Go back to setting scrums 10m out when a kicks finds touch

Also go back to setting a scrum where the knock on occurred

why? What was good about any of that?

Canard

Immortal
So what happens when a player goes down injured and there is a reshuffle? does the trainer have to run out and explain to the ref who the forwards now are to make sure scrums pack “correctly”?

do clubs need to tell refs ahead of time which bench players are going to be rotating through the forwards and which might play in the backline?

what benefit are they attempting to get out of this rule?

I think V'landys heard a couple of Boomers at his local TAB give the ol "Forwards don't even pack into the scrum, anymore" whinge, and thought this up.

Like you said, how the hell can you police it?

myrrh ken

First Grade

It's becoming a bit like touch football tbh. The speed, the contact, the feigning injuries

Knight76

Juniors
Lol, right aftet the Gagai try where the ref thought try and awarded it, but bunker would have awarded no try, the Nrl think lets roll with that permanently.

The bunker needs a lot of work, but this is just going to create even more controversey.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
lol trialling rule changes in a proper round of a compeitive sport

amature hour for the millionth time with these clowns

It has been done before in 1984 the league trialed rules in dead games. I can recall Cronulla's final two games against Norths and Wests being used for the experimental rules. One of the rules they were trialling was unlimited tackles inside the attacking quarter..

Having said that I don't agree with it and should be done outside the regular season. These idiots running our game think they can do whatever they want now "everything is on the table".

No sport acts like this.

Last edited:

LineBall

Juniors
I would rather they keep scrums for a ball kicked into touch and double knock on and other mutual infringements. For a knock on just make it a handover.

If you made the scrums a true contest again, I don't think you would have to worry about legislating who was packing into them, which makes it easier to officiate.

Less scrums isn't a bad thing, but those that we do have - make them a legitimate contest for the ball.

Fangs

Coach
Good stuff. Both games were absolutely meaningless. Now they are actually important and could be a catalyst for another significant rule change.

Make them play in their underwear for all I care (I care).

T-Boon

Coach
Scrums don't need to be a contest to be interesting. They could wake up to themselves and accept my ideas for the scrum. Stay packed until the ball is over the advantage line and also have the defensive team back 20. That would make the play off the scrum very interesting.

yobbo84

First Grade
Player "scores". Referee awards try. Player knows he dropped the ball. Tells captain. He immediately declines the conversion. 4 free points! ;)