What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 R20 Sat - Sharks 28-38 Raiders @ Netstrata Jubilee

Round 20: Sharks v Raiders

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

shear_joy9

Coach
It really depends on how cooked the team is. I just have to trust stick but I'll be grumpy if we lose by a point and parra loses

I think this best shows how the teams feeling right now

Untitled-Project-Made-with-Clipchamp-3.gif

The_Frog

First Grade
14 of the 16 grand finalists since 2012 finished in the top 4.
2 from 16 or 1 in 8 correlates exactly with the chance of a 5-8 team winning 3 games straight, were all games an even chance. But the second and third weeks they are playing better performed teams so the true chance of a 5-8 team making the GF would be considerably lower than 1 in 8.

For a top 4 side, there is a 75% chance of making the third week, so a 37.5% chance of making the GF, once again all games being even money. So I cannot for the life of me understand Sticky's thinking.

Last edited:

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Our reggies have more match fitness.

Really sad no Pommie hooker, would give you a chance at the end if he was there.

BadnMean

Juniors
2 from 16 or 1 in 8 correlates exactly with the chance of a 5-8 team winning 3 games straight, were all games an even chance. But the second and third weeks they are playing better performed teams so the true chance of a 5-8 team making the GF would be considerably lower than 1 in 8.

For a top 4 side, there is a 75% chance of making the third week, so a 37.5% chance of making the GF, once again all games being even money. So I cannot for the life of me understand Sticky's thinking.

We shouldn't even play finals. Just run the numbers & declare a champ shall we?

Valheru

Coach

Agreed

2 out of 16 grand finalists from outside the top 4 is probably overs as you say, important to note though only one additional non top 4 team has made a prelim in that time so it has happened 3 times in 8 seasons

This finals system is heavily skewed towards the top 4 as it should be IMO.

Compare that to the McIntyre system in the previous 8 seasons (2004-2011). Each of those seasons had at least 1 prelim finalist from teams 5-8 with 2009 having 2.

BadnMean

Juniors
So outside the 4 has made a Prelim 3 times in 8 seasons. Almost 40% of seasons, this will happen... Doesn't seem that bad a shout, given that this is a very unusual season- a suddenly quicker game- an imperfect mini pre season, no bye rounds & Ricky is assessing HIS teams need of a rest now, vs their chances of beating top sides who have had far greater recovery on top of less travel all season.

There are more factors in play with an individual teams decisions at this stage than just raw data.

Tommy Smith

Referee
In hindsight Ricky has probably looked at the ladder and seen that a 5th placed finish will likely see them come up against the Sharks & Eels; which should see them cruise through to the Prelim final.

Probably not bad thinking IF it pans out that way and the Eels finish 4th.

The_Frog

First Grade
So outside the 4 has made a Prelim 3 times in 8 seasons. Almost 40% of seasons, this will happen... Doesn't seem that bad a shout, given that this is a very unusual season- a suddenly quicker game- an imperfect mini pre season, no bye rounds & Ricky is assessing HIS teams need of a rest now, vs their chances of beating top sides who have had far greater recovery on top of less travel all season.

There are more factors in play with an individual teams decisions at this stage than just raw data.
The chance of 5-8 teams winning 2 in a row to reach the prelim is 1 in 4 (25%), if all games are 50/50. Conversely, the chance of reaching the prelim from 1-4 is 75%. Even if you lose to the minor premiers you are still a 50%+ chance against a lower ranked side. That is a huge difference and it makes Sticky's decision to rest players hard to understand. For his sake, you'd hope Parra get the job done.

So outside the 4 has made a Prelim 3 times in 8 seasons. Almost 40% of seasons
It's 37.5% of seasons, but only 9.4% of 5-8 teams.

Compare that to the McIntyre system in the previous 8 seasons (2004-2011). Each of those seasons had at least 1 prelim finalist from teams 5-8 with 2009 having 2.

The rather odd practice of giving the lower ranked side the home final in week 2 might have had something to do with that.

Last edited:

shear_joy9

Coach
Even if you lose to the minor premiers you are still a 50%+ chance against a lower ranked side. That is a huge difference and it makes Sticky's decision to rest players hard to understand. For his sake, you'd hope Parra get the job done.

but your team is beat to hell and no player has had a weeks break except for injury/suspension.

give the team a break now, face a weakened sharks team in week 1, then potentially the loser of 1v4.

it's not hard to understand...

Valheru

Coach

So Sticky's plan is to ensure they travel week 2 and beyond.

Makes sense.

Valheru

Coach
In hindsight Ricky has probably looked at the ladder and seen that a 5th placed finish will likely see them come up against the Sharks & Eels; which should see them cruise through to the Prelim final.

Probably not bad thinking IF it pans out that way and the Eels finish 4th.

You just know this has one of the all time epic fails written all over it.

Imagine if Parra lose this week and then the raiders lose to the sharks in week 1.

shear_joy9

Coach

Imagine if Parra lose this week and then the raiders lose to the sharks in week 1.

if they can’t beat the sharks in week 1 then they don’t deserve to be in the finals

You're constantly ignoring the fact that the team has some injuries. CNK, Rapa, Papalii, Williams and Bateman have all picked up knocks the past two weeks and need the rest.

At first I was very bemused at this and not impressed however we need to consider the chances of Parra losing and us winning is optimistic really. Factor in that this IS a guaranteed rest as opposed to an unlikely one in two weeks, I can see where Sticky is coming from. It also speaks of the confidence he has in the team to defy 'the data' to do well in the finals.

If the team wasn't so busted I wouldn't be so keen, but they need the rest.

Fact is if we don't make top 4 we have our sketchy form a couple months to blame, not this coming weekend.

You're constantly ignoring the fact that the team has some injuries. CNK, Rapa, Papalii, Williams and Bateman have all picked up knocks the past two weeks and need the rest.

At first I was very bemused at this and not impressed however we need to consider the chances of Parra losing and us winning is optimistic really. Factor in that this IS a guaranteed rest as opposed to an unlikely one in two weeks, I can see where Sticky is coming from. It also speaks of the confidence he has in the team to defy 'the data' to do well in the finals.

If the team wasn't so busted I wouldn't be so keen, but they need the rest.

Fact is if we don't make top 4 we have our sketchy form a couple months to blame, not this coming weekend.

Ah ffs spoke too soon.